FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last

Quote Originally Posted by PaulAnderson View Post
    Are you really telling me that you don’t see people using clothes as a way of projecting a false image of how much money they have? I’m saying high end designers produce clothing aimed purely for these people, with big branding and no quality, and that I think that’s bad. I don’t see how that’s snobbish?
    You're back pedalling. You're talking about a very specific type of person, whereas you were generalising before. This is incredibly snobbish:

Quote Originally Posted by PaulAnderson View Post
    Well, I can’t say I’ve ever seen a “really nice piece” in TKMaxx, whatever the cost.

People don’t buy things from TKMaxx because they like them, they buy them because they think it is a designer label, and heavily discounted. In reality these items have probably been selected from a range of items that didn’t make a brands collection, and chances are the “original retail price” is as fictitious as the idea you’d ever see any of these products on the shelf anywhere else.

...If not, I fear you will spend a lot of money trying to look like you have money, something that people with money don’t need to do.
    You seem very focused on the idea that fashion is a tool for displaying financial status. The fact is that different people have different ideas about what looks good. Let them get on with it I say! And you can find some really good clothes at discounted stores- to say it's all crap is very stupid. Although you do have to sift through a lot of shit, I'll give you that.
    Last edited by Ivan Condor Aasllani; 31-10-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post
    You're back pedalling. You're talking about a very specific type of person, whereas you were generalising before.

You seem very focused on the idea that fashion is a tool for displaying financial status. The fact is that different people have different ideas about what looks good. Let them get on with it I say! And you can find some really good clothes at discounted stores- to say it's all crap is very stupid. Although you do have to sift through a lot of shit, I'll give you that.
    I guess that was a bit of a generalisation, however I stand by my view on TKMaxx's business strategy.

Again, you're probably right; you probably can find the odd gem. I just don't have the patience to sift through the shit, but I guess that's why I don't like sale shopping in general.

FashionBeans Staff
    It would have to be a tutu for me!
    "Lifes too short to blend in..." - Owner of Brighterman Accessories

Check out my articles for Fashion Beans - In my spare time I try to live a lifestyle I normally can't afford

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGregor View Post
    It would have to be a tutu for me!
    Especially heavily discounted branded tutus from TK Maxx!

Tom

Trend Setter
    I tend to avoid anything that places me in any particular group or makes me stand out too much, can't say i'm one for drawing attention to myself.

On the TK Maxx subject, I love the place. Picked up some great stuff in there but you do have to sift through the shit and not just pick up anything from your favourite label. Some nice Lee over-shirts, Wrangler check shirts, Levi's jeans, great for odd finds like belts, ties etc and i've had a couple of nice warm coats and plain merino jumpers for wearing to work as well. It's not so good for things like plain tee's, they're much easier to buy elsewhere. I think people view it as a jumble sale or a discount shop for pikeys, but who cares, there's some great stuff if you're prepared to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I tend to avoid anything that places me in any particular group or makes me stand out too much, can't say i'm one for drawing attention to myself.

On the TK Maxx subject, I love the place. Picked up some great stuff in there but you do have to sift through the shit and not just pick up anything from your favourite label. Some nice Lee over-shirts, Wrangler check shirts, Levi's jeans, great for odd finds like belts, ties etc and i've had a couple of nice warm coats and plain merino jumpers for wearing to work as well. It's not so good for things like plain tee's, they're much easier to buy elsewhere. I think people view it as a jumble sale or a discount shop for pikeys, but who cares, there's some great stuff if you're prepared to look for it.
    I once got an All Saints suit there, and saw a Diesel leather jacket in there a few weeks ago for £150!

Quote Originally Posted by NZJames View Post
    Just a question, why is everyone hating so much on hooded shirts/tops? I have a couple in my wardrobe that admittedly I dont often wear but if Im casualing it about on a saturday or sunday I might slip one on over a tshirt and never considered that a fashion faux pas.

What is your reasoning?

I wasn't as in depth as I should have been when I said I wouldn't wear them.

As the top half of my outfit, a hooded shirt on it's own makes me feel like a kid trying to dress down wearing a normal shirt.

However, do I have this one hooded shirt which is red checked with a dark blue hood. It looks really nice when you wear a denim jacket over it, as it fits in with the lighter shade of blue in the jacket. But I don't think I could pair it with anything else in my wardrobe and feel right in it.

In fact I do seem to have a real distaste for hoods in general. I don't know what it is, I just feel like a kid with the thing draped over my back.
    Sometimes I write my signature really fast when I have to sign for a parcel, because I feel like the delivery man is in a hurry to deliver the next one and I am keeping him waiting. But when I get to write my signature on paper, I take my time with it so the person will think "Wow that is a really great signature".

Brilliant thread! Pretty much in agreement with everything listed so far. Was going to make the zip shout. For some reason I literally hate them, even practical ones that aren’t just for show. It just makes clothes look industrially made for efficiency and churned out of a factory. I don’t own a single pair of jeans, chinos or cords with a zip fly. Even a concealed zip annoys me. Buttons are elegant and timeless. A zip looks dated despite being a far newer concept.

I also hate sunglasses made by designer brands that aren't exclusively sunglass brands. ie Ray Bans, Persol yes, Armani, Gucci, no. Oakley sunglasses just say dad and amateur cricketer trying to be hip and outdoorsy. I truly despise them.

Leather boyband 'shirts' usually from All Saints is another one. I literally don't understand how more women don't pity or feel embarrassed by any man over 18 years of age who adheres to boyband styling, let alone fancy them.

On the whole I have a lot more respect for brands that don't put branding on their clothing other than the label. Even a small logo on the chest like the All Saints Ramskull or RL polo player will put me off buying something these days.

I could literally go on and on.

Trend Setter
    I literally had to highlight your post because I literally couldn't see what you had written.

Fashionisto
    You will find me wearing trousers with a button fly, but it's only because so few actually have zips these days.

+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last