FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last
    Sam

Style Icon
    Perhaps it's just me then - but I have an enduring memory of a zip fly that wore out after a couple of months and constantly came undone, and I like to keep jeans for ages. Button flies just seem like a safe bet.
    I won't try and justify the hipster remark because no man, hipster or otherwise, wants to be called a hipster. Sorry guys

I've also decided that the definitive pet hate I have is square damn toecaps on shoes. It looks fooking horrible!

Trend Setter
    Glad you didn't take too great offence, Drew. Re that David Gandy quote- it really struck a chord with me. Going back to uni again as a mature student, being surrounded by 19 and 20 year olds dressed in A&F and Jack Wills meant what he said really resonated in my mind. I remember walking into a lecture theatre in slim nudies, a pair of tan boots, white shirt and a vintage dior prince of wales check blazer and being looked at like I was from another planet. It made me sad.

Trend Setter
    I agree with most everything you guys have listed. However, I am surprised by the hate for the the drop crotch, only because I am completely ignorant to the drop crotch. Here, literally no one wears them and thus they seem exciting. However, with the exception of that, this fashion elitism seems pretty international, subtle, but very understood.

Fashionisto
    Fashion rugby shirts covered in logos.

Sun glasses with brightly coloured frames.

Clothes with big logos/lots of brading.

3/4 length shorts

Tracksuits

Camo

Ed hardy anything

Really pointy shoes

t shirts with an excessive V-neck

Huge chunky trainers - I realise that many wear this and I even see them combined with suits but I just hate them.

Fashionisto
    - Anything from A&F/Hollister that has the massive advertising billboard on the front.
    - Camouflage trousers/shorts, unless I'm shooting
    - The thick rimmed non prescription geek glasses with clear lenses - I have prescription ones, and it pisses me off how people wear them when they don't need to.
    - Polo shirts in general.
    - Gilets are horrible.
    - Anything From Ed Hardy
    - Jeans with logos on the pockets.
    - Anything made by Superdry, Gio Goi or Nike.
    - Tracksuit Pants
    _ V necks that show nipples
    - Chino's and Polo shirts. The attempt by chavs to try and make themselves feel a bit more upper class and less tracksuit and violence.
    - Is it Nike Classics? Them white trainers? Never. Ever.
    - Any sportswear outside of sports
    - Square toecaps on ANY shoes

FashionBeans Staff
    I thought I might finally wade into all of this, we'll see how we go:

1. ball bag beanies (otherwise - oversize beanies) quite horrendous no matter how you try to defend them.

2. Gillets, never been a particularly big fan, too much of the equestrian about them. I also saw 2 couples in a group walking along the beach once and they were all wearing Gillets, wardrobe coordination is never a good thing.

3. Ill fitting, cheap white or black plimsolls, the shape is disgusting, they don't last and they should have no place in any sartorially acceptable wardrobe.

4. Square toed loafers; the kind that school boys wear.

5. Unpolished shoes; punishable by 10 years hard labour.

Actually quite a short list; I'm pleased.

Sam

Style Icon
    Absolutely Will; as a 6th form student I am amazed that even the most stylish of my pals by far trots around in those same square toed loafers. And despite the fact that said ancestors are the sources of both of our fashion senses, his granddad is dapperer than mine! They are not cool.

Trend Setter
    The new style of aviators is defiantly on my ban list:

^ Defiantly, eh?

I see fashion as a smorgasbord, there's little I wouldn't try to work into a look tbh. That's probably why I have such a sprawling and varied arsenal of garments.

One thing I have never gotten on with though is shoes (as opposed to boots) with turn-ups and socks showing. It's just too pretentious and hipstery for my liking.

Also; Cargo Pants / Shorts. Not acceptable.

Trend Setter
    I actually like the new slim cargo pants, and I'm loving camo right now. But I agree in pointy shoes, they're just plain awful.

+ Reply to Thread
First ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last