FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First ... 4 5 6 7 8 Last
    Sam

Style Icon
    Personally I happen to think that as long as they're not ridiculously sharp, there comes a point (geddit?) - usually proportional to trouser skinniness - where shoes should get narrower.
    A Chelsea boot, for example, should only really be worn with slim to skinny trousers, and correspondingly the best looking versions come to a nicely rounded but prominent point.
    In my opinion anyway!

Trend Setter
    Pointy shoes, I don't know, just reminds me a lot of 2007.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post
    One thing I have never gotten on with though is shoes (as opposed to boots) with turn-ups and socks showing. It's just too pretentious and hipstery for my liking.
    I do this a lot! I understand the hipster connotations (and my style comes from an indie backdrop I guess) although I'm fairly sure I'm not pretentious (at least I hope not). I'm not young hipster by any means, but I just like the look. In summer, I'll turn my jeans up and wear invisible socks, but it both doesn't look right for autumn and is too damn cold in this British weather.

I think the right sock showing can add a touch of panache (ok maybe I am pretentious) to an outfit.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Personally I happen to think that as long as they're not ridiculously sharp, there comes a point (geddit?) - usually proportional to trouser skinniness - where shoes should get narrower.
    A Chelsea boot, for example, should only really be worn with slim to skinny trousers, and correspondingly the best looking versions come to a nicely rounded but prominent point.
    In my opinion anyway!
    I'm a 100% with you on this. The chunkiness or narrowness of the shoe should entirely be determined by the narrowness of the trouser leg in the same way as the tie and lapels ought to match in width.

I tend to have my suits tailored to a fairly slim leg, so a chunky shoe just looks unbalanced, so I tend to wear a slightly narrower, pointier shoe (in fact dress shoes for the most formal outfits ARE always narrower and pointier). Even with my casual wear, I tend to opt for the less chunky option if I have a choice simply because I prefer a skinny/slim cut to the leg of all my leg wear.

I never tend to choose the brogue with the chunky sole for example, but prefer the simpler leather sole that gives a more minimal line that tends to work best with the kinds of jeans/chinos/casual trouser I wear.

Yeah, and chelsea boots with a wider leg do look silly.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I do this a lot! I understand the hipster connotations (and my style comes from an indie backdrop I guess) although I'm fairly sure I'm not pretentious (at least I hope not). I'm not young hipster by any means, but I just like the look. In summer, I'll turn my jeans up and wear invisible socks, but it both doesn't look right for autumn and is too damn cold in this British weather.

I think the right sock showing can add a touch of panache (ok maybe I am pretentious) to an outfit.
    Don't worry, Jay, you are not a hipster. I personally don't even believe that hipsters are real, I think the term is basically just a slur some people throw around loosely, often as a way to try to quell any possible form of personal expression. That aside, I know we have differed about the socks before, but it can be used to some effect. I love wearing invisible socks with loafers in the summer time, it really feels right. A bigger problem is defiantly the propensity some have to wear flip flops when ever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterShorts View Post
    Don't worry, Jay, you are not a hipster. I personally don't even believe that hipsters are real, I think the term is basically just a slur some people throw around loosely, often as a way to try to quell any possible form of personal expression. That aside, I know we have differed about the socks before, but it can be used to some effect. I love wearing invisible socks with loafers in the summer time, it really feels right. A bigger problem is defiantly the propensity some have to wear flip flops when ever possible.
    Defiantly again lol

I wear my loafer and boaters sockless in the summer; I will agree that that is a flawless look.

I find that so-called "invisible" socks are often visible- or is there a product I'm unaware of?

I might be thinking about trainer socks actually...

FashionBeans Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterShorts View Post
    I see people walking around in flip flops even now, I want to punch them in the face.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin Money View Post
    I find that so-called "invisible" socks are often visible- or is there a product I'm unaware of?

I might be thinking about trainer socks actually...
    I use Calvin Klein shoe liners (not because they are Calvin Klein, but because they are the only things I've found that can't be seen when wearing shoes) although some loafers might make them visible.

I think Falke might make something too, but that's about all I've been able to find that were invisible enough.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by William Colman View Post
    I see people walking around in flip flops even now, I want to punch them in the face.
    Will, I am definitely with you here. Howsabout a nice brick in your face, yeah?

Sam

Style Icon
    It's ironic that the turned up trouser and "mankle" thing is meant to channel European style; most Italians wouldn't dare to wear that look in the city, and in fact long socks are handy there because the flash of an ankle is seen as a bit vulgar!
    A pin rolled trouser is an alright look, but it does have hipster connotations and I'm much fonder personally of wider, 50s teenager style turn-ups on my jeans. They're definitely not a trend so they're one of the things I think gives me a bit of identity.

+ Reply to Thread
First ... 4 5 6 7 8 Last