FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Dry Cleaning vs Home Wash

Hey I just got 2 long sleeve Burberry shirts and 2 Hugo Boss t-shirts. They aren't dress shirts but they are nice. The last Burberry shirt I had I only got to wear 3 times because it shrank after I washed it in cold water and let it air dry like the tag said and now it doesn't fit anymore. I don't have a lot of nice or expensive casual wear but the ones I do have I want to try to take care of them and the last thing I want to happen again is for them to shrink after my first wash and feel like I wasted money. My question is for shirts like these that aren't necessarily dress shirts but are still nice and aren't cheap, do you dry clean them or just buy them a size to big and hope it shrinks enough?

Trend Setter
    Okay, in that case I'd actually bring it back and tell them it doesn't fit anymore. I've had an A.P.C. pullover that shrank even though I washed it delicately and I got a refund. Normally, you should be ok with handwashing it in cold water.

Sounds crazy to me. I have a couple of expensive shirts and they wash at 40 degrees C along with everything else. . Try looking at Emmett next time you are buying. Well made and do not shrink.

Fashionisto
    What about hand streamers?? My wife has been nagging me to buy her an X5 steam mop, I'm actually considering it now that I know it can be used to clean clothes!! Has anyone used something like this??

Nat

Style Icon
    Shirts shouldn't shrink. Definitely don't get a size up.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconLad View Post
    What about hand streamers?? My wife has been nagging me to buy her an X5 steam mop, I'm actually considering it now that I know it can be used to clean clothes!! Has anyone used something like this??
    Funnily enough, Dan Trepanier from TSBMen was on about using a steamer yesterday, instead of washing shirts. And he knows a thing or two about clothes... Not used one myself though.

Trend Setter
    In my experience Burberry Brit level stuff is just absolute crap. I bought a cashmere jumper from them and followed the washing instructions yet it has shrunk and is now unwearable. Bought some cotton shorts from them that are worth nowhere near the RRP. Both purchased online at the same time. Just doesn't wash well. Would warn others off it too. Sure the higher level stuff is great quality but the Brit range is awful from what I've seen. Selling sub-standard stuff based on the name. In future buy cheaper shirts from better brands that will wash well for years such as Paul Smith or Glanshirt. You won't regret it.

+ Reply to Thread