FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 Last

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcLager View Post
    But I also have friends who are more fashion and style interested than I am. To the point of fanaticism. Interestingly enough, it's from these guys I get the most flack, as I don't always conform to the "rules". At a party, a (former) friend gave me the (condescending) comment "You know you're wearing a French jacket with an English tie knot, right?" Shit like that has made me exclude a couple of people from my list of friends.
    Oh dear god. I think this forum strikes a good balance between sensible style advice & creative flexibility - if you adhere to rules that strict, surely there's no fun left in dressing?

Personally, most of my friends at home put very little thought into how they dress, whilst most of my friends at uni are decent dressers in a standard student/slightly hipsterish style.
    Photographic exploits: http://ow.ly/su7Io

Musical proclivities: http://ow.ly/su7Ju

Assorted twitterings: http://ow.ly/su7Nb

FashionBeans Staff
    all of my male friends are interested in the way they look, but then again, everyone does. When it comes to clothes however, whilst they do take a little interest I have perhaps only one or two friends that are anywhere near as interested in fashion as me; its shame but its nice to have something that I am relatively individual in liking.

Trend Setter
    My friends are well dressed, but they're not stylish. They really do well the looks of plimsols, jeans, tshirt/sweater to be fair - it's very clean and simple. I'm more interested in rocking things like blazers etc. so sometimes I get stick, but they always say I look really smart or along those lines.

Weird thing is when I go back to visit friends in Bedfordshire, I make an effort to dress down to blend in a little more - when in London I wear what I want.

To be honest I don't think I dress THAT well, I just make sure everything fits and wear decent shoes, there's a lot of guys on this forum and public that are way better dressed than me. But the girls at work did an informal best dressed award for me, which was a nice stroke to the ego!

Fashionisto
    A few of them like to think they're stylish but you'd never get them reading articles on roll necks and patterned gloves. They are completely unaware of my activity on websites like this but I'm ok with being a lone ranger.
    Last edited by MC1987; 21-12-2013 at 07:39 PM.

Trend Setter
    Yep, I have a small circle of very close friends, and I'd say 5 out of the 7 of us are as into style as I am.

It's pretty cool that we all have different tastes, different budgets, and are into different brands/influences

Banned
    I'd say among my friends I'm a bit of a trend setter. The majority of my friends don't think too much about their clothes or what goes with what on nights out and I'm always pointing out what they should/should not be wearing. A friend of mine is pretty much clueless when it comes to clothes. His mum had bought all his clothes for him up until a few years ago and don't get me wrong, he doesn't look bad but he'd think nothing of going out for a Saturday night out in Edinburgh say, wearing Nike running trainers and a tee more suited for the gym! I've also had to tell him off about wearing white sports socks when he's out. We went to Mexico last year and he asked for my help in getting him some gear to look good, so a shopping trip ensued in shops like Hollister and I have to say that when we went he looked pretty sharp. On the same holiday, my other mate who has NO idea about dressing well came through every night asking advice. He was up for going out with check shorts and a check shirt until I convinced him otherwise although he did wear this combo a few nights later looking a right numpty!

Des

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyboy View Post
    I'd say among my friends I'm a bit of a trend setter. The majority of my friends don't think too much about their clothes or what goes with what on nights out and I'm always pointing out what they should/should not be wearing. A friend of mine is pretty much clueless when it comes to clothes. His mum had bought all his clothes for him up until a few years ago and don't get me wrong, he doesn't look bad but he'd think nothing of going out for a Saturday night out in Edinburgh say, wearing Nike running trainers and a tee more suited for the gym! I've also had to tell him off about wearing white sports socks when he's out. We went to Mexico last year and he asked for my help in getting him some gear to look good, so a shopping trip ensued in shops like Hollister and I have to say that when we went he looked pretty sharp. On the same holiday, my other mate who has NO idea about dressing well came through every night asking advice. He was up for going out with check shorts and a check shirt until I convinced him otherwise although he did wear this combo a few nights later looking a right numpty!
    So basically he still looked like his mum dressed him

Banned
    Got it in one Des! I remember actually, the same guy just a year or so ago (at age 27) was sitting on the couch in my mates house when we noticed his belt had some writing on. We could see an O and a K and wondered what it said, turns out it was a reebok belt he'd had since he was about 14!! It looked bloody awful, this petrol blue/green reebok belt he'd had for well over a decade but he never thought himself about changing it out for a new one more suited to his age. Like I said in my original post, clueless!

Style Icon
    Most aren't but none dress badly. One of my best friends dad is a tailor and his dad has always been creative with suits, but my friend just doesn't notice it, he just asks for a suit and wears it regardless of the effort his dad has out in for the dandy touches!

I'm definitely the tailoring fanatic among my friends, I'm obsessive

Fashionisto
    No.

*waits for support group to assemble*

+ Reply to Thread