FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last

Trend Setter

Are your male friends as into fashion as you?

Just wondering if those of us that use the forum mix with other guys that share a similar passion for what we wear/how we look?

None of my male friends are that into what they wear, not to say they don't look clean or don't take care of themselves but they certainly don't look into what other guys wear or think about how they're going to put together their outfit.

It's quite nice in a way because I always stand out and often get complemented by either girls or other well dressed guys we bump into but sometimes the gentle ribbing can become boring quickly.

So do you and your friends share this interest or are you a lone ranger? I'm quite lucky in that my girlfriend is a ridiculously good dresser and fashion blogger so at least we can enjoy shopping together (she's also happy about this) haha.

Trend Setter
    Unfortunately I'm a lone ranger! None of my friends are into clothes in the way that I am. So I'm made to feel awfully overdressed if I turn up to an event wearing a DB and pocket square..!! Doesn't bother me as much as it does them though as all their girlfriends spend a lot of the evening talking to me about how much they like some of my stuff!

It would be nice to have friends who took greater care in their appearance though.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Naboo View Post
    I'm quite lucky in that my girlfriend is a ridiculously good dresser and fashion blogger so at least we can enjoy shopping together (she's also happy about this) haha.
    Any chance of a link to her blog or any sites she recommends for ladies fashion? My OH dresses pretty well but she would love to find a site similar to fashionbeans to get some inspiration from.

As for my mates; one or two are into vintage fashion. It tends to be my female friends I can talk to more on the subject. It feels like male and female fashion isn't as far apart as it once was (I realised this when girls started wearing tweed and brogues that looked no different to my own).

Trend Setter
    Most of the lads I know where I give try and dress either like football casuals or in random stuff from the same generic high street stores. Before I lived in a foreign European capital where I knew quite a few stylish conscious people. Must admit I kind of like dressing a bit more stylishly than other people because it gets me compliments even when I make little or no effort. When I go to places with the most competition I always take too long analysing what I should wear and studying other people once I'm there rather than just relaxing and doing my own thing.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by naturals View Post
    Any chance of a link to her blog or any sites she recommends for ladies fashion? My OH dresses pretty well but she would love to find a site similar to fashionbeans to get some inspiration from.

As for my mates; one or two are into vintage fashion. It tends to be my female friends I can talk to more on the subject. It feels like male and female fashion isn't as far apart as it once was (I realised this when girls started wearing tweed and brogues that looked no different to my own).

Her blog is THE FRIDAY GIRL | A British Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog It's not solely fashion focused so not sure exactly how much help that will be but I will definitely ask for any websites she can recommend like fashion beans for you fella.

I'd agree that male and female fashion isn't that far apart, however I do feel as men we are not catered for at all in high street stores and are forced to dig online for stuff, I mean how many stores are there where there are 2 floors of women's clothes and then a corner dedicated to men, it's really annoying.

I have noticed that being with a girl into fashion has led me to trying out new things and has moved me towards always wanting to improve my look. Just got to get used to my lad mates saying my legs are invisible when sporting my new camo trousers now haha

Fashionisto
    Not even remotely, they are downright horrified by the amount I spend on clothes...despite forums like this and the emergence of online menswear stores like Mr Porter, the stereotypical view that 'fashion is for gay men and women' is still very much an issue.

A few of my mates are into clothes, but not really on the level I am. I can still chat to them about fashion though and we all have roots in skate / street fashion. Most of them take care of their appearance but have a style that they stick to, so I do get a bit of piss taken for being more adventurous with what I wear, but I've always been like that really, and it's very light hearted ribbing. Nothing meant by it at all. I get a lot of compliments on how I dress from the girls in our group too so not going to let some jokes affect me! And I am quick witted so usually end up having the last word anyway lol

My GF is into fashion so she's the main person I share it with tbh.

Style Icon
    Most of my friends are old metal heads, so they still dress in black band shirts and black denim. At least on their spare time, most of them work in offices, so they do the usual business casual-drone thing during the day. But I think they dress well. Everything fits right, and they still pull off the style.

But I also have friends who are more fashion and style interested than I am. To the point of fanaticism. Interestingly enough, it's from these guys I get the most flack, as I don't always conform to the "rules". At a party, a (former) friend gave me the (condescending) comment "You know you're wearing a French jacket with an English tie knot, right?" Shit like that has made me exclude a couple of people from my list of friends.

Nat

Style Icon
    I am definitely more into style than the majority of my mates. I get a lot of stick, but in a fairly light-hearted way, in a group setting. Then individually they all come to me for advice on clothes! So it's all good. I quite like being different.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcLager View Post
    At a party, a (former) friend gave me the (condescending) comment "You know you're wearing a French jacket with an English tie knot, right?"
    LOL, wow! Just plain outrageous.

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last