FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

Do and do not, rules and how to break them

Hey you lot starting to lurk less and ask things myself and be more active on here. Rather unsurprisingly I'm getting much more from it. Now I was wondering if you lot had any rules or big "do nots" when it comes to fashion for a newbie like myself? Or just any gripes and groans to make at the current state of things with fashion.

Style Icon
    Never wear jackets that look like they should be on a hot water cylinder.

Style Icon
    Don't fall for the suit + sneakers look. It doesn't work in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    Never wear jackets that look like they should be on a hot water cylinder.
    Totally disagree

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Condor Aasllani View Post
    Totally disagree
    This is actually the only point you should remember, LewisB. One man's don't is another man's do.

Nat

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcLager View Post
    This is actually the only point you should remember, LewisB. One man's don't is another man's do.
    I agree with this in a qualified way. There is a way of breaking style rules that can work, and there are ways that just don't work! I think you need to at least understand the rules before breaking them. Like "black and brown makes a frown". Ok as a general rule, but I think if there is enough of a contrast between the black and brown, it can work. Just an example, of course, but you see where I'm coming from.

I see them more as guidelines, which can be bent depending on circumstances. As a rule of thumb, the more casual the outift, the less strict the rules are.

If you are going to break the rules, do it with knowledge, confidence, and have some fun with it. There was a post on TSB recently featuring the creative director of Ermenegildo Zegna. He was wearing sweat pants and a blazer in one pic, and socks and sandals in another! It's not for me, but you would struggle to argue that this guy doesn't understand style!

All that said, a few of mine would be (though these aren't necessarily hard and fast):
    - An overcoat must be longer than the blazer underneath
    - No socks with sandals
    - No belt with braces
    - Not a huge fan of black and navy together
    - And just generally make sure your clothes fit!

These are just off the top of my head. Sure there are others.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    There was a post on TSB recently featuring the creative director of Ermenegildo Zegna. He was wearing sweat pants and a blazer in one pic, and socks and sandals in another! It's not for me, but you would struggle to argue that this guy doesn't understand style!
    I found none of his outfits to be good looking. Not even creative. He just looked like he'd thrown all the clothes he owned in a pile on the floor, stuck an arm in, and just put on the first thing he managed to get hold of.

For that photo session, he dressed like a bum in expensive clothes.

Trend Setter
    For that photo session, he dressed like a bum in expensive clothes
    That's one thing I've learned is that branding and the expense of an item should not be relied upon to make an outfit work.

I get what you mean about the black and brown thing, only a very well thought out combination of the two would work or if ryan gosling is wearing it it'd somehow work.

Nat

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcLager View Post
    I found none of his outfits to be good looking. Not even creative. He just looked like he'd thrown all the clothes he owned in a pile on the floor, stuck an arm in, and just put on the first thing he managed to get hold of.

For that photo session, he dressed like a bum in expensive clothes.
    I didn't say he looked good. I said he understands style! Definitely a difference! haha

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I didn't say he looked good. I said he understands style! Definitely a difference! haha
    True. Sadly, I feel TSB has gone down that route a bit too much in the last year. I used to be very inspired by the way Dan dress, mixing casual and smart in a very subtle and everyday way. Most of the stuff they do and show now is non-applicable in my work and private life.

Perhaps it's the shift from style to fashion oriented blog that has left me a tad alienated.

+ Reply to Thread