FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

I don't know how to fashion

Shirts too long? Was going to delet post, but I cant. I decided I was going to get every shirt tailored half an inch.

Are they tooo long?

So these black one is tight and short but I am tailoring my shirts so they have the same lenght as the front of this shirt, though a little longer.
    Last edited by Thearkly; 25-12-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Trend Setter
    i would like to know this too

Is th e back fine on the shirt? It looks like it poofs out at the shoulders.
    Last edited by Thearkly; 25-12-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Trend Setter
    ah no I meant about fitting guidelines for different garments, thanks though

Nat

Style Icon
    You're going to have to be a bit more specific chaps. Got a particular item you're worried doesn't fit? Post pics if poss

Trend Setter
    I dont have specifics really I'm talking more basics. Just shirts, tees, etc. Basically I want a sorta guide to fitting with like subheadings for various pieces and that

Nat

Style Icon
    There's a couple of issues here. You've got the "fit" of the clothes (skinny, slim, regular etc), and then you have how the clothes fit you (either well or badly!). So you and I could wear different fit (I could be wearing skinny jeans, and you could be wearing regular jeans), and they could both fit us ok, if you follow me.

The first step is understanding your body shape. Nothing worse than a chunky guy trying to squeeze into a pair of skinny jeans. One guy I work with looks like a badly shrink-wrapped sausage roll. Just awful.

Once you know what fit suits you best, then you need to buy clothes that fit you well. Or at the very least, fit in the important places, and then you can spend a little extra on getting stuff tailored.

In terms of how different items should look, there is plenty of advice around.

Men’s Fashion Basics – Part 1 – Good Fit | FashionBeans

Men’s Fashion Basics – Part 93 – What Tailoring A Suit Can Do For You | FashionBeans

Get To Know Your Tailor | TSBmen

A lot of it is down to personal preference, but if you are just starting out, then as a general rule I would say, buy (or tailor) clothes that follow the silhouette of the body, but not too snugly. You don't want to look like there is too much excess billowy material, but you want to be comfortable. Once you have nailed this, you can then experiment with skinnier or fuller fits, depending on what you feel like.

Good luck.

Trend Setter
    Thank you Nat for the reply it answered most of my queries and proved very informative. I dont know body shape wise i guess im tall and slender but also i guess quite powerfully built with quite thick set shoulders and hips. My current penchant for jeans is skinny but I seem to be slowly moving into slim. My main problem is before i decided to sort my wardrobe out I tended to be lazy and wear oversize shirts and jumpers and stuff I thought this looked tremendously bohemian and such but after checking a couple of photos i realised it made me look more like an empty plastic bag supported by sticks haha.

+ Reply to Thread