FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

What Is Your View on ManBags?

wondered what the general consensus is on manbags.. still cant bring myself to buy one.
    If I do, where might a find something that dosnt make me look like a girl.

Cheers

Trend Setter
    I use this grey Fred Perry Holdall for school practically every day, get the odd bit of 'Nice handbag' banter but it's all good.

"There's only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about."

Quote Originally Posted by billyreedwah View Post
    'Nice handbag' banter
    Best banter going!!

Tom

Trend Setter
    My view is that if someone has taken a girls item and substituted any part of it for the word 'man' to make it sound appealing then it's probably best to steer clear.

It's a bit more forgiveable if it's stylish carry-on luggage, I think half of what makes it a handbag is the frequent casual use, but i've got pockets for that.

Jay

Style Icon
    Psst, this thread here... http://www.fashionbeans.com/forums/general-fashion-style-discussion/68-manbags-not-girly-thread-about-moobs.html

As I said there, I wouldn't be without my leather satchel.

Trend Setter
    And certainly as now skinny/slim jeans/trousers are in, bulging pockets are a no. A bag is the only way forward.
    "There's only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about."

FashionBeans Staff
    bags are the way forward. Throw away all your inhibitions and invest in a holdall, I have a canvas tote style bag from french Connection and I love it; it is seriously useful, I still don't put my wallet or phone in there but everything else can be put in it.

As for the "nice handbag" banter or fear of looking like a girl, just remember that nearly all sartorially elegant, perfectly dressed men that take care in their appearance will always notice AND appreciate that you have a man bag and it will always mark your out as a fashionable chap, complements from well dressed men on your attire are well worth the possibly embarrassing banter.

Tom

Trend Setter
    I think satchels/messenger bags are a bit different, but they're surely a bit big for an every day bag?

Ive got a brown leather mulberry man bag an use it for work every day an often get compliments to how nice it looks

I signed up to this forum just to comment on this issue which comes up a lot with men.

Bags fell out of favor with men as marketing to housewives rose during the beginning of the post-industrial era. Bags are one of (if not the most) functional accessory that one can own. It seems odd that men have mostly given up the bag and consider it feminine; perhaps it has to do with the fact that less needs to be carried as technological convergence has shrunk our devices so that many men prefer to carry them in their pockets.

If you look at history, bags were primarily used by soldiers, hunters, mechanics, craftsmen, doctors, basically all male professions. Women's "purses" were generally tiny little things used to carry some face powder and handkerchief, it wasn't until companies realized they could create all sorts of things and sell them directly to women that women had anything to carry around. But nowadays, men and women carry very similar things: smartphones, tablets, wallet, keys, earbud headphones, magazines (maybe you read cigar aficionado or GQ), pens, lunch . . .etc. So men have somehow convinced themselves to jam it in their pockets creating lumpy hip bulges and looking like you have too much crap in your pants. Honestly, bags are awesome and useful.

So if it's good enough for Indiana Jones, then it's good enough for me. And of course as a leather artisan who values craftsmanship, a well made bag is not only functional, but also fulfills the masculine ideal of toughness and lasting through thick and thin. That's why I make bags, and if you managed to read this far down, please check out my etsy shop, I know some of this read like spam, but that wasn't my intention, but as you might be able to tell, when men say that "bags are for women," it kind of gets under my skin.

Yiorgio Karampetsos by Karampetsos on Etsy

+ Reply to Thread