FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Checkout my new idea for a clothing brand

A clothing brand thatíll specialize in making American related clothing, and will be sold throughout the world. The brand will design clothing for every demographic on the planet, as well as create its own innovative styles of fashion. The brandís ultimate goal is to sell more products outside USA than in its own country. American related clothing exists, but not from a widely known single name brand, so I believe that's something that hasn't been explored yet.

Goals:
    • Focus on longevity. Make sure that this wonít be a gimmick company thatíll fade away in less than 10 years
    • Be sure to separate yourself from other american-related clothes, to get a noticeable foothold on the market.
    • Create an image that is classy and cutting edge. Make it compete with hip fashionable brands with younger audiences, and classy brands with the older audiences
    • Figure out a way to get customers to return for multiple purchases in the future. Avoid creating a gimmick company where people will do one-off purchases

PLEASE offer any constructive criticism you can. You know, give me your guys' classic pessimistic, elitist input. But you know, something that's constructive .
    Thanks!

In part the brand you're describing is Ralph Lauren.

But if you want to start up your own mega brand, then here's a list of what you'll need:

- Butt load of money
    - Time and effort
    - Team of qualified professionals

Good luck.

Trend Setter
    Your concept sounds like RL and J Crew if you ask me...

Anyways, I've always wondered what it takes to start your own brand and design your own clothes. (I've seen a bunch of guys who simply started this off from having a large follower base on Tumblr) I'm currently doing a general course in design at my uni (it's required for those who want to get into architecture such as myself, and we do general design such as composing photographs, model making, photoshop, sketching, etc), but I'd be interested to know what it takes should I decide to dabble into this sometime in my life.

Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, DKNY, Nike etc etc also come to mind.

Establishing such a brand would require a huge investment and even then would be a very big challenge. We're talking in the hundreds of millions before you would see a profit imo.

It seems as though the concept for this brand is perhaps a tad broad and ambitious. I would imagine that it would be more astute to attempt to find a niche, gain a solid footing there and then attempt to diversify.

Trend Setter
    Sorry for going Alan Sugar on you, but what you have isn't a business or even a specific idea, just a general thought. You haven't really listed anything about an identity or specialty, just a few general things. Most brands these days have some links to American culture or style and to cover as many bases as you seem to want to is near impossible. You need to either find a specific technique or idea you can execute better than other people or a particular garment you can produce to perfection/at lower cost, rather than saying you want to do everything. As the other guys have said you need a ridiculous amount of £ to turn this concept into reality. You'd be better off brainstorming different aspects of American clothing or style and testing them on a few style conscious contacts to find out which work. You can then build on that feedback.

Analysing this with my business student head on, you need to have a serious re-think. Even assuming that you are able to fund such a costly start up, there are a lot of holes here. Firstly, demographic: It is totally unreasonable to try and mass target everyone outside the USA. Companies target demographics, groups and specific markets for very good reasons.

Secondly, you really need to do a better competitor analysis. As others have pointed out, I don't feel you're breaking new ground here at all, and in fact, there are numerous companies synonymous with the USA who trade extensively on that reputation worldwide.

The rest of the ideas are admirable concepts to include in a start up, but are simply not enough to create a successful brand on their own, they are merely part of an identity. You need to look further at who you want to target specifically by finding a more clear cut gap in the market.

Style Icon
    It the most brutally honest way, if you think that brands like Gant, Gap, Abercrombie, Levi etc don't already do this, then you don't know the market at all and can't really follow fashion that closely. You can't simply start a business idea up for world domination without even knowing the basics.

And as for covering every demographic on the planet - impossible. A shop where you can buy grannies cardigan, African tribal leader gown, Chinese zero collar shirt, chav track suit bottoms, posh looking suit? Where can you get all of this in 1 brand (ok, maybe zara
    Last edited by Creed; 05-01-2014 at 12:54 AM.

+ Reply to Thread