FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Casual Shirt Collar Fit

So I've recently being caring a bit more about the fit of my clothes. The main issue I'm having atm is the collar being a bit too big on my casual shirts. I am a skinny guy and have been buying small in shirts ever since I can remember. The issue is xs would probably be more suited for me, and currently pretty much all my shirts have a bit of a gap around the neck.

Is it ok to have a bit of a gap with casual shirts, or does it look sloppy.

And how pedantic are you guys with the fit of casual shirts?

Banned
    Normally I don't fasten the top button on my casual shirts. You could leave them open and the gap probably wouldn't be noticed, unless of course you are talking about a significant gap then it may be a really wide opening. I doubt the gap your talking about would be that big anyway, probably more in your mind than anything else. Apologies if I'm incorrect. Or how about a tailored shirt if your really that bothered about fastening the top button?

The gap isn't too noticeable and I'm sure most people wouldn't notice or care, but it annoys the hell out of me lol. Guess I'll just have too keep it unbuttoned. It's funny how I bought these shirts and didn't even think twice about the fit, but now I can't believe how ill fitting some of them are.

fly

As stated above, with casual shirts how large the collar is isn't too much of a concern as you shouldn't be buttoning it all the way to the top anyways (considering you're not wearing a tie). The only time it would be a concern is if you were going for that "invisible tie" look where the shirt is buttoned to the top without a tie, but it's not a very classic look and the trend will (if it hasn't already) die down soon.

+ Reply to Thread