FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Tuxedo HELP!!!

Putting together a Tuxedo for my wedding. I have a Calvin Klein 2 button, peak lapel tux, black. Really want to wear a tuxedo vest, but quality and affordable options seem to be rare. I have found a wool backless vest however the trim is shawl and my jacket is peak, can these two go together??

Style Icon
    Personally I can't stand backless vests - they always remind me of stripograms.

A wool version with a shawl neck I really just can't see working at all with a peak lapel jacket. If it were me I'd go for a sharp cut, slim-fit vest with no lapels, in a contrasting colour. You could pick one up now in the sales at a good price.

Trend Setter
    Can they work together? Certainly. There is no rule that the lapels of your waistcoat have to match the jacket.

Will they work together? Maybe, maybe not. Very often you will want the same sort of lapels as you can get a slightly odd look if they don't. More importantly, if one has much thicker lapels than the other it can look obvious and a bit 'off'.

Without photos it is a bit hard to judge and hard even to be certain about what sort of waistcoat you are talking about. The question is whether you are going to be happy. If it is for your wedding, you need to be confident that you are wearing something you can be proud of.

Try them on together and see how you feel about it. Then ask someone whose judgment you trust.

Some further, but less important, thoughts:

A traditional evening waistcoat is cut very low so that plenty of shirt can be seen; they should barely fasten any higher than your jacket does. Many modern ones are cut exactly like day waistcoats. I'd always advocate getting one of the low fastening ones if possible. These are often 'scoop' or 'horseshoe' shaped and, if they come with lapels, these will always be shawl lapels. If that's what you've got, I certainly wouldn't worry - you'll probably look great. If on the other hand you have one cut like a day waistcoat, the lapels will be more obvious and it might be more of an issue.

As for backless waistcoats, I prefer backed ones but don't reject backless ones out of hand. The important thing is to (1) ensure it fits properly so that the bits of fabric holding it on aren't visible (use pins if need be) and (2) if you are wearing one, realise that you have committed to wearing you jacket all evening. The advantage is that you can wear a three piece, including whilst dancing, and not get too hot but, if you think you are going to be removing your jacket, always go for one with a back.

Finally, for further tips on black tie The Black Tie Guide (blacktieguide.com) is really good. There is more information there than you'll need but if you concentrate on the Classic and COntemporary Black Tie advice sections (and possibly take a look at the wedding section) you'll be in good hands. There is a strong bias towards the classic and traditional but with formal dress that's no bad thing.

Style Icon
    Wolf knows his stuff!

+ Reply to Thread