FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Opinions wanted for a beginner (Pics!)

Hi guys, this is my first post here! I only recently started paying any attention to style at all, and over the past couple of months I've been working on transitioning from perpetual t-shirt and jeans to something a bit nicer (and more grown-up). I've also done a lot of reading, here and other places, but this site has generally been the most helpful for me.

So the style I'm generally aiming for is along the "heritage" lines. Now the reason for this topic: I've hit a point where I'm about to venture into "uncommon" territory. It's common enough to see people wearing plaid button-up shirts and/or sweaters, and cords are reasonably subtle... but I don't often see people wearing a vest (waistcoat). The thing is, I absolutely love the way a vest looks, and would love to be rocking one this weekend... but I also want to have some reassurance that it looks right before going out. Or maybe something doesn't look right - in which case I would be glad to have you point it out to me! (I am a beginner, after all).

I apologize in advance for the poor quality of the images, the only thing I have to take pictures with is my cheap phone.

So here is a dark burgundy shirt, tan cords, a dark grey vest, and a few tie options. This is a point in particular I was hoping for some input on - I think it doesn't look quite "complete" without a tie (or some kind of neckwear) so I have three ties: tan, navy, and knitted burgundy. The only one that fits the "tie should be darker than the shirt" rule is the navy one, but that just seems too much dark up top. Thoughts?

What is the event you are wearing it for? Causal waistcoats are a bit of a contentious issue with me.

I agree that it definitely needs a tie. I'd say that the tan tie works best here as it matches the trousers.

Would you consider wearing the matching blazer as well?

Style Icon
    Hi earendur, there is a decent fashionbeans guide for wearing a waistcoat - Men’s Fashion Basics – Part 89 – How To Wear A Waistcoat | FashionBeans

Personally I think that as waistcoats are such a brave item to wear, it has to be nailed. It can so easily fall between sartorial masterpiece to naff children's party balloon magician in the blink of an eye.

The guide shows some casual ways to wear a waistcoat, however if you want a true heritage look, you need some tailoring inspirations, and most likely a tweed waistcoat very fitted. Your tie will need to be done perfectly in a double Windsor knot with the top button of the shirt done up, and you'd be wanting to wear it with a set of brogue shoes.

As for the colour combos, personally I don't think it looks quite right, if it was a checked waistcoat and plain shirt maybe, but a checked shirt under a plain waistcoat wouldn't seem to work too well especially as the check is so large. I also don't think grey with beige works, it would look better beige with a brown shade of some sort. Or that grey waist coat with black jeans, white shirt and a knitted / tweed tie in burgundy.

I think as per Ivan's post above this might be a safer but with the matching jacket (needs to be tailored looking and fitted).

Just my thoughts of course, everyone is different, this helps!

Thanks for the opinions guys. The event is one of those sort of vague "casual or business casual expected" events - more of a social event really.

Because this was my first post, I could only put in one link/picture. Here's the rest of the post I had written:

It seemed somehow incomplete without some kind of jacket.. so I picked this up. It really needs to be slimmed down, though the sleeves are pretty close. For only costing me $3.50, what can you expect?

*Product enlarged to show texture*
    Maybe gives a better idea of how it would look. My phone camera seems to really wash out color, but it's more realistic in this pic.

This is with an alternate shirt, a sort of olive green. The pants are switched to brown cords all the way to the right.

Left and middle, a couple different shirts. On the right is the shirt from the left, with a brown sweater and (though it's hard to tell in the pic) green cords. That one I have worn in public and gotten several compliments on.

All the other pics were aiming for casual or "smart" casual, the one on the left here is aiming for a bit more formal. It's hard to tell because it's washed out, but the jacket is black.
    In the center, it's the same suit, with the jacket switched to the grey one.
    On the right, it's more casual again, with items all seen previously.

Comments and advice are appreciated!
    Last edited by Earendur; 10-01-2014 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    I also don't think grey with beige works, it would look better beige with a brown shade of some sort. Or that grey waist coat with black jeans, white shirt and a knitted / tweed tie in burgundy.
    Ah, there's something I've been looking for for a while now - a brown waistcoat, preferably in a rougher wool texture. I haven't had much luck in finding one, especially on my fairly limited budget. Do you know of any good sources?

Thanks for the tip on what I could wear with the vest I do have; that's also a big part of what I'm looking for. (Any more suggestions along those lines would be welcome too.)

Looks 100000000X better with the $3.50 blazer and white shirt man

Liking the different textures in the close up shot

Blazer could fit better but it's not too bad. If I was you I'd go out and cop a modern-fitting blazer asap though, would be a good investment if you want to rock this style

Fashionisto
    I have to agree that the white shirt, red tie and blazer really improve the look. Reminds me a lot of @Marclager's look which I really like!

So white shirt, red tie, and grey blazer... I had wondered about using a white shirt; I sort of avoided it because I thought it pushed things into the more formal realm (but maybe that's just me). What pants would you put with that combination? In the pic I'm wearing the pants from the black suit to the left of it.

Comments on any of the other combinations are welcome too!

I suppose I may as well add, I'm trying to figure things out for two events - the one tonight (that I mentioned before), and a friend's wedding tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread