FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First ... 6 7 8 9 Last

Quote Originally Posted by naturals View Post
    Wow - cool career. I started brewing last year with long term ambitions to open a very small microbrewery at some point. What's holding me back is that I know what I like but I cannot articulate the flavours. Any tips? How did you get into that career path?
    Tips, well you would have to give me a little bit more info, you are brewing light beer right?
    In terms of tips it depends on which taste you are trying to achieve, how strong do you want it to be both in terms of alcohol content and taste, how carbonated do you want it, do you have any kind of special goals your aiming to or you just want it to be tasty and something to keep you busy
    Ingredients are very important, both the quality and the quantity, brewing is a science so you would have to calculate the quantity ratio you need in order to achieve the perfect drink. Control fermentation temperature, buy a thermometer or some more sophisticated equipment. The yeast is very important, I would recommend a liquid yeast, it's better. Hmm beer isn't quite my specialty but if you are interested in more details, I will gladly help you.

How did I get into it, well I always liked creating things and I always loved wine. But considered enrolling in medicine school simply because I was great at it, I was reading a lot of medicine material in my own time and diagnosing diseases before I was even out of high school, I was considering either medicine or something regarding nutrition. But after a reality check I decided that I couldn't keep up with a doctor's hours because I'm kind of a relaxed guy and I wasn't serious enough to pull of something like that, and eventually I thought that I was going to be a nutritionist and this was kind of a last moment decision, enrolling in enology which worked.
    Last edited by SayMyName; 06-04-2014 at 10:16 PM.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by SayMyName View Post
    Tips, well you would have to give me a little bit more info, you are brewing light beer right?
    In terms of tips it depends on which taste you are trying to achieve, how strong do you want it to be both in terms of alcohol content and taste, how carbonated do you want it, do you have any kind of special goals your aiming to or you just want it to be tasty and something to keep you busy
    Ingredients are very important, both the quality and the quantity, brewing is a science so you would have to calculate the quantity ratio you need in order to achieve the perfect drink. Control fermentation temperature, buy a thermometer or some more sophisticated equipment. The yeast is very important, I would recommend a liquid yeast, it's better. Hmm beer isn't quite my specialty but if you are interested in more details, I will gladly help you.

How did I get into it, well I always liked creating things and I always loved wine. But considered enrolling in medicine school simply because I was great at it, I was reading a lot of medicine material in my own time and diagnosing diseases before I was even out of high school, I was considering either medicine or something regarding nutrition. But after a reality check I decided that I couldn't keep up with a doctor's hours because I'm kind of a relaxed guy and I wasn't serious enough to pull of something like that, and eventually I thought that I was going to be a nutritionist and this was kind of a last moment decision, enrolling in enology which worked.
    Really cool that you've managed to do that aged 27! I guess most people don't even start drinking wines seriously until they're in their 20s and probably don't start appreciating them for a good few years thereafter.

My beers at the minute tend to be pale ales and a few stouts, porters and the like chucked in for good measure. I want to ultimately be making proper artisan beers (I hate the expression but finding anything better is tough). Stuff like Russian Imperial Stouts (10% ABV+), Imperial IPAs, barley wine, porters. The British have this assumption that a high alcohol beer = Stella. It sucks that stuff like Russian Imperial Stout (invented and perfected in the UK) is one of the finest beers in the world yet most people here have never tried it.

Out of interest where in the world are you based?

Really cool that you've managed to do that aged 27! I guess most people don't even start drinking wines seriously until they're in their 20s and probably don't start appreciating them for a good few years thereafter.

My beers at the minute tend to be pale ales and a few stouts, porters and the like chucked in for good measure. I want to ultimately be making proper artisan beers (I hate the expression but finding anything better is tough). Stuff like Russian Imperial Stouts (10% ABV+), Imperial IPAs, barley wine, porters. The British have this assumption that a high alcohol beer = Stella. It sucks that stuff like Russian Imperial Stout (invented and perfected in the UK) is one of the finest beers in the world yet most people here have never tried it.

Out of interest where in the world are you based?
    I've always loved wine and even during high school while everyone was pouring wine/liquor/beer down their throats without even knowing what is it, I easily was recognizing the different sorts of wine by smell and taste, they thought it was weird but now everyone is jealous because I get to drink alcohol for a living(actually it's not that simple but they think it is).
    I was born and raised and I studied in Italy, afterwards I spent some little time throughout Europe and at the moment I'm located in a little country called Republic of Macedonia(South-Eastern Europe), I consult some wineries over here, plus I have some relatives and friends over here so I'm spending time with them too, because my roots are partially from this place.

I still haven't tried the Russian Imperial Stout but I'm gonna if I come across one I will try it for sure, sincerely I'm not the biggest beer fan, I like it but I'm more of a wine-liquor guy(I mostly prefer whisky but I love other stuff too). So practically your choices are dark and very alcoholic beer.

So for it you would have to use roasted barley or malt, maybe the black patent malt, it's the darkest but you know what you like best but this will give too much of a coffee aroma, maybe also add some chocolate malt, or rather instead of the black patent a better would be the pale malt.
    What else, regarding the process of making and don't forget to use dark bottles for it. Get it off the yeast and bulk for some 4-5 months afterwards it should be good, I done some reading on it, it says after six-seven months it's even better so if you can wait that long I think it will be better.
    They say that the black roasted barley is also part of the original recipe. Boil it for 60 mins...

long term ambitions to open a very small microbrewery at some point
    #ambitious

lol sorry, the non-specificity of this made me laff

tbh you have a clearer goal than I do at the moment!

Trend Setter
    I'm researching a (fully funded) PhD in theatre/performance studies (but officially in the English Lit PhD programme as we don't have a theatre department). I'm particularly interested in how plays are staged, and the implications we can draw from that on an aesthetic and political level. The interesting thing there in terms of fashion, is that understanding clothes, and critiquing their role is an important part of my academic work. I spend most of my day writing, researching and reading, as well as quite a bit of healthy procrastination. The fact I'm funded means I basically have a minimum wage for my 3 years. I was so lucky to win it, with the government cuts to budgets and the general state of research funding.

Which means all my browsing on clothing sites, and my bulging wardrobe is (sort-of) justified for my research. Of course there's the fact I might as well look good (I'm often told I'm well-dressed for a PhD student, or as a French lecturer said to me [in a very silky sexy Parisian accent] that 'you're very elegant', but I honestly think that's because of how low the bar is set by a lot of my fellow students - well the blokes anyway - who mainly wear hoodies and t-shirts, and not in a sick streetwear way). Can't wait to start teaching undergrads next year either, meaning I will finally have 'workwear' to consider (my previous jobs have all been uniforms and black trousers beyond little bits of office work).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    I know you posted this about 60 years ago, but I only just read the thread, and this comment literally made me 'Laugh Out Loud'. Bravo!

Haha yeah, exactly the same happened to me just a minute ago!!

I'm currently finishing my Software Engineering Master studies in Vienna, we'll see where I end up at working...

Trend Setter
    After more years trying that I care to remember, I've finally landed my dream job. Unfortunately the position isn't conducive to wearing great clothing, however the uniform is far from the worst out there and I can live with that given the places I'll visit and the views I get to see. I start training in September and early in 2016 I'll be driving one of these for a living.

Style Icon
    After more years trying that I care to remember, I've finally landed my dream job. Unfortunately the position isn't conducive to wearing great clothing, however the uniform is far from the worst out there and I can live with that given the places I'll visit and the views I get to see. I start training in September and early in 2016 I'll be driving one of these for a living.

You got a job on the Starship Enterprise?!!!

Trend Setter
    "Driving one of these for a living" shouldn't that be flying?? Hope the training clears that up.....

Fashionisto
    Full time daddy, part time illustrator, occasional writer.
    All spelling errors & missing characters brought to you courtesy of Toshiba's Satellite keyboard.

+ Reply to Thread
First ... 6 7 8 9 Last