FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Cravats - Places to buy?

Online or in store, anyone know of good places to buy cravats?

In particular 'day' Cravats, like this...

Last edited by gecko; 15-01-2014 at 11:59 AM.

Here are some vendors that I have bought from:

Cravat Club - They have a collection of printed silk as well as one with woven silk. I just worn my first woven one today, and I must say that when they claim it "stays put" they are very right! Not much slipping there. The downside is that it is very stiff. And warm.

Swagger & Swoon | Unique & Unusual Fashion Accessories for Men Their cravats have a back side which is made of cotton and is not printed. The cotton makes it stiffer than pure silk but not as stiff as the woven one from cravat club.

Silk Handkerchief Online | Buy Cravat Online | Fort & Stone - Silk Bow Ties, Cravats and Handkerchiefs Also cotton backed.

I have bought from elegant extras through amazon.co.uk. Silk all the way through.
    Amazon.co.uk: Elegant Extras cravat - Accessories / Men: Clothing

You can find other dealers as well on amazon.co.uk

I bought a handful with a fantastic discount from a Tie Rack shop in the UK. It was a closing down sale for the whole Tie Rack chain of stores, so by now they might have closed.

These seem to have a nice small collection, but I haven't tried them:
    Cravats - Gentlemen Accessories - Accessories Cravats - Gentlemen Cravats - Hilditch & Key

I strongly suggest that you only buy cravats which are at least 15 cm (6") broad. In my, admittedly short, experience I have found that cravats are easy to tie, that is when you stand in front of mirror it is relatively easy to tie them so they look good. The problem comes when you have been moving about for a couple of hours. They slip.

And the thing is that if you tie them too tight you press them together and loose the width that you need to cover the shirt opening and to make that good looking "plumage". If you tie them loosely they fit better, but eventually slip.

But please do not let my experience discourage you! Finding your own way, with your kind of shirts, your cravats and your own personality is part of the fun! And please remember a casual cravat is casual! No formal rules - you are free to find your own way! But if they are at least 15 centimeter broad that will make it easier for you and give you more choices.

By the way, I think that the term "day cravat" is a degenerated form of "daily cravat". The distinction between formal and casual cravats have nothing to do with the time of the day on which they are worn, but is a question of you are wearing it at a formal occasion (like a wedding or a horserace) or if you wear it daily.

Best of luck! And please post back if you come across other good dealers!

If I may jump in here (with a disclaimer that I'm from Swagger & Swoon), with a few additional pointers that might help. Hansen is spot on with the differences in cravat fabrics. An all silk cravat is thinner than a cotton backed version, so it's more likely to slip. What we've done in some cases is make these longer, so they're tied slightly differently - you actually tie a knot of sorts before creating the cravat. Some people prefer this and it does make for a more lightweight yet stable cravat. The cotton backed cravats can be more comfortable and less prone to slipping, but don't think these are thick or chunky, they're still light but with just a bit of added structure.

Of course there's also polyester cravats if you want a cheaper option, but they can be slightly shorter than the silk ones, so if you have a large neck these would probably not be the best option.

This little guide might be useful: Your Cravat Guide: Information about Mens Cravats as would this guide to tying a cravat: (How To Tie A Cravat: Tying a Cravat, Instructions for Cravats) which includes a video for the long style silk cravats (video 2)

Trend Setter
    Many thanks mate, a lot of info there. appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread