FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Style on campus?

Hello everyone,

This is my second post on the forum and I am about a week new to this website in general. But I am a 18 year old college student in the United States, and I am wondering what are some more casual styles that are simple yet not too dressy for going to class in. Most articles I read on here talk about how Suits can be dressed down, and how to wear ties and things like that, but they are too much for classes. Since i am on campus competing against 75% of people in sweats I am looking for something a lot less formal. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Kyle

Des

Style Icon
    "The" Gap.

Trend Setter
    relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLvGM9mZGuo

b
    ut seriously this should help you get started: How To Look Good: On Campus | FashionBeans

Trend Setter
    im in indigo jeans, tan brogues, a shirt and neutral cardigans most days just tend to top it off with a jacket and statement scarf to add interest. Find it's smart enough to get compliments and set me apart a from my peers but i dont feel over dressed in class or walking about campus

Trend Setter
    It all depends on what you're comfortable with, really. On campus I tend to err on the smarter side of dress-- button down shirts, jumpers, brogues, etc. I'll wear a tie once a month or so just to mix things up. But there are people here who will tell you that anything above a t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers is "too much" for campus wear...

For a happy medium, I'd advocate checked/flannel shirts, dark jeans, and desert boots. The shoes alone will put you miles ahead of your peers, fashion-wise. I also highly 2nd that FB article linked above.

Nat

Style Icon
    Solid advice given above - decent knitwear, oxford shirts, slim fit jeans/chinos/cords, boots (either desert or chukkas).

Though if I was studying in the US, I would go all-out Ivy League prep tbh. Kinda how I dress anyway.

Thank you all for the great advice! I can't wait to try this stuff out in the coming weeks of school. I probably should invest in a couple pairs of brogues and desert boots too. Thank you for the article, that was a big help in seeing what are simple ways to look good on campus without looking over dressed. And if anyone has more suggestions on what unique things to wear besides the usual button up and or sweater I would love to hear the suggestions!

Button-down oxford shirts with a pair of fitting jeans/chinos, topped off with brogues make a really great outfit for campus.

My style was more of a street style, so basically anything that works with trainers I feel very comfortable in. That being said, I am not afraid to wear a nice pair of suede boots, or boat shoes. I think that brogues and loafers are something that I will need to gradually gain confidence to wear, and same with blazers. It's just seems distant from my original style. Is there any advice that would make me feel more confident to start wearing something like that? would gradual steps from crew necks to cardigans to a blazer help me transition better?

Trend Setter
    I think gradual steps could work You still want to dress your age, I guess.
    I'm kinda transition at the moment. Gone are the scruffy trainers and hoodies, but I stil dress fairly casual as I'm also still in school. A recent outfit I like is: all suede New Balance trainers, Levi's 511, grey T-shirt en Navy shawl collar cardigan. I know it's pretty casual, but the good fit and the fact that there's no loud print or a hoody involved, sets it apart from the badly dressed student.
    I'd thoroughly feel out of place with brogues, shirt and a blazer. I would on the other hand feel confidant wearing one of said items. For example desert boots, jeans, nice T-shirt and a blazer...

+ Reply to Thread