FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 Last

Style Icon
    BUMP

(I believe this is rather important)

Quote Originally Posted by _Ben_ View Post
    Just bumping this up.

Firstly, I believe this should be stickied to receive the attention it deserves.

Secondly, a member on this board called 'Duffman' offered to buy my Reiss shirt from me. After multiple PM's, I am currently unable to contact him. Luckily I didn't proceed to send the shirt before he offered to send the money, however I find his actions rather shady. Enough to deter me from selling to him unless he has good reason to justify his initial interest and his current AWOL status.
    1) Totally disagree on sticky status, if the thread is popular it will stay afloat

2) Maybe the guy has been busy and hasn't logged on for a bit, or maybe he doesn't want the shirt anymore? You are totally overreacting m80. I can't imagine why anyone would ever consider sending an item before receiving payment, but just in case there is any doubt, that is not the way that online buying / selling works.

Trend Setter
    I am going to be selling off some J.Crew Tweed Trousers size 31W. Ill put up a photo once done.
    PM if any interest.

I must mention, they are brand new, with tags.

This is what I have for sale: https://www.mrporter.com/product/331654
    Last edited by James; 15-02-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Condor Aasllani View Post
    1) Totally disagree on sticky status, if the thread is popular it will stay afloat

2) Maybe the guy has been busy and hasn't logged on for a bit, or maybe he doesn't want the shirt anymore? You are totally overreacting m80. I can't imagine why anyone would ever consider sending an item before receiving payment, but just in case there is any doubt, that is not the way that online buying / selling works.
    I've been involved in countless transactions "m8". For a member to declare interest, block PMs and then disappear is rather dodgy. I am smart enough to know that one should never send the goods before receiving payment, but Ben's reasoning for not allowing a sale thread in the early days of this forum was heavily based around the chance of naive buyers being hussled. It is easy to say you are no longer interested in an item. I've done it before. So there is no reason for this chap to behave as he did.

The eBay thread doesn't see much activity yet is stickied. If this topic was easy to access at all times it would be busier. The eBay thread would have followed a similar fate if it wasn't stickied.

I'll unsticky eBay as well then, we have too many stickies anyway, it's a mess. If people want the threads they can find them. This forum isn't about buying and selling anyway. When this thread was stickied it didn't get any posts for like 2 weeks.

There's nothing "dodgy" about what Duffman has done. How is he hustling someone by failing to reply to PMs? He has no obligation to buy from you just because you exchanged some messages. His inbox is probably just full.

And if you are "smart enough" to know not to send the item before being paid, why are you talking about "Luckily I didn't proceed to send the shirt before he offered to send the money"?

Style Icon
    I was making the point that a naive seller could have done so. At no point did I state he had any obligation to proceed with the purchase, but by flagging up his activity there was always the chance other members could have experienced "interest" from him on their items as well.

I don't understand why you are so sensitive to me posting concern over a member's "buying" habits. Most members on this forum are friendly; it's not difficulty to pull out of a sale and open the floor to other interested parties. Blocking PMs and seemingly disappearing just gives a bad impression, especially when he had my email and thus had adequate reason to circumnavigate any excuse of a full PM box.

IMHO you should leave this sale threads stickied. The purpose of the forum isn't to sell, but as members swell I'm sure many of us would be all too happy to buy and sell to each other, rather than paying eBay to do so.

I actually think a separate sale section would be better. Most forums have one, and whilst it won't be as busy as this section, naturally, it would help clean up this area of the forum.

I just don't really get what the big deal is about what has happened here.

Agree a selling subforum would be good.

Style Icon
    I was flagging up Duffman's behaviour, which was extremely odd, in order to ascertain whether I was alone in being subject to false promises of a sale.
    I think it's a moot point on whether or not he wanted to proceed to buy or not. The transaction had got to the stage where I was awaiting payment, so for him to block PMs and disappear is dodgy.
    Obviously no harm came, but he shouldn't ruin his credibility as a user because of a misunderstanding. He has every chance to clear his name here if it is just that, so I think it's healthy to let the forum know of a potential cold-buyer.

I don't want to argue about it. I don't want to sound like a drama queen, but it's a big step to allow selling on this forum, so I think it is good to ensure we don't irrationally jump feet first into transactions.

A sale section would be great. Can it be done?

(PS - sorry if I seemed confrontational)

Quote Originally Posted by _Ben_ View Post
    A sale section would be great. Can it be done?
    I think an admin would need to do it rather than a lowly mod

Style Icon
    Maybe put in a word to Ben? You'd have a lot more muscle than an even lowlier forum member like myself

+ Reply to Thread