FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 Last

Quote Originally Posted by _Ben_ View Post
    I was flagging up Duffman's behaviour, which was extremely odd, in order to ascertain whether I was alone in being subject to false promises of a sale.
    I think it's a moot point on whether or not he wanted to proceed to buy or not. The transaction had got to the stage where I was awaiting payment, so for him to block PMs and disappear is dodgy.
    Obviously no harm came, but he shouldn't ruin his credibility as a user because of a misunderstanding. He has every chance to clear his name here if it is just that, so I think it's healthy to let the forum know of a potential cold-buyer.

I don't want to argue about it. I don't want to sound like a drama queen, but it's a big step to allow selling on this forum, so I think it is good to ensure we don't irrationally jump feet first into transactions.

A sale section would be great. Can it be done?

(PS - sorry if I seemed confrontational)
    If you had got to the point of sending it, then I'd agree but you haven't so why name and shame him? There's many a reason why things don't happen, but that's why it's often good to have a feedback thread as well.

Style Icon
    Because he could have done this to multiple users. It's easy to say you are no longer interested in an item, but to block PMs and cease to post on the forum is just odd. Had another member experienced the same thing from Duffman it would have shown the offer was disingenuous.
    It may be 'naming and shaming', but it is also just honesty, and my only way of reaching the chap if his inbox had been full.

From talking to him he seemed entirely pleasant. So I don't want it to look as though I am attempting an effective character assassination because the sale seemingly fell through.

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but I can't see how I am overreacting. If his inbox had been full and he was waiting for me to respond he could easily have seen my post, realised and sorted it out. The fact that this hasn't happened corroborates my point.

I've experienced the same thing on eBay before. People send me offers on items, and when I accept it they fail to put their money where their mouth is.
    This forum is swelling with honest, credible posters. I have sold on this forum to other members (and bought from others too) and they were always pleasant experiences. This time, however, I went to the effort of travelling home to collect the shirt (which I didn't take to uni) in order to package it ready to send only to be met with white noise. It's annoying and the chap didn't have the courtesy to give any rational explanation for his apparent disinterest.

I would like to affirm that I am not bothered by him not proceeding to buy. I am bothered by a.) my time being wasted and b.) by the idea that seemingly honest forum members would behave so strangely (and yes, blocking PMs is reflective of an overly hormonal 14 year old girl on facebook).

Of course he could be on a 2 week holiday, or perhaps his mother died? If that is the case then I can sort it out with him, but I can't see the harm in flagging up activity which other members could have been subject to as well.

Anyway, back to sales...

I don't want to be drawn back into this, but I'm really hoping that you can clarify what about the offer was disingenuous? What do you think he is trying to achieve with this machiavellian plot?

Are you suggesting that his M.O. is to viciously irritate forum members with false interest on their sales?

Here are Duffman's member stats:

MEMBER STATS

• Total Posts: 17

As you can see, he hasn't logged on for some time, his inbox is probably full as I don't think you can block PM's, and he's hardly an established member of the forum with his 17 posts.

I'm sorry but you are definitely overreacting a bit. Just chill, see if you can sell your shirt to anyone else, and if he comes out of the woodwork just let him buy it from you making sure to use paypal & recorded delivery.

Style Icon
    I didn't say he had a plot. His offer was disingenuous if he couldn't put his money where his mouth is. Simple.*
    In calling it a "plot" you are putting words in my mouth. I stated he was a nice member and it was odd that he disappeared. There are loads of reasons for him to have not logged in (as i listed before) however for the last time I will repeat: in posting his behaviour I had no idea whether or not he had made similar offers to other members and then scampered when PayPal was mentioned.*
    I don't mean to suggest he had other means to proceed with the sale, but by essentially calling him out it opened up the only other viable means of communication I had with him. If he still wants the shirt this is the only place he will be able to contact me short of emails.*
    And yes you can block PMs. You can block members from contacting you. He has 17 posts. I'd be surprised if he was busy PM'ing people. In any case you receive a notification when your inbox is full, so if I was halfway through messaging someone I would just clean it out.*
    I've checked his stats and tried whatever means I can to ascertain if he was genuinely interested or if other matters came up.*
    I don't understand why I need to continue to give reason for my initial post which any sensible person could see was written with good intention (that being the culmination of a sale had his inbox been full, or the acknowledgement of false offers had other members received similar messages)*
    Any overreaction from me is just apparent through the plethora of ping-pong posting my initial post has led to. My reaction was just bemusement.*
    I once listed a jacket for sale on this forum which I since sold to Nathan. When I posted it someone created an account and offered me cash but "couldn't use PayPal". I turned the offer away and they deleted their account. I am failing to see why any concern I had over the security of sale is an overreaction when the Internet is so good at cloaking people's intentions. It sucks that one has to be so cynical, but at the same time I fail to see how it is overblown to try and ensure the security of others.*
    And yes, there is nothing serious at all about the situation that amounted, but I wasn't going to sell the shirt to anyone without testing all viable means of communication first.*

Style Icon
    Jesus H.Christ, Ben, will you give it a rest? No-one died here. It's only a fucking shirt.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    Jesus H.Christ, Ben, will you give it a rest? No-one died here. It's only a fucking shirt.
    yea this thread is kinda worn out now. I think delete and recreate, or delete and use the eBay thread.
    I call for a clean slate.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    I think my initial post has been blown way out of proportion.

But yes, someone please clean this thread, because as I stated before, it's for sales not arguing.

Although I will add that is isn't the 'fucking shirt' that is the issue. Enjoy your day mr Grape. No sourness at my end.

Yeah this is boring now. Shall I just merge with the eBay thread?

No don't merge it! Both threads will be ruined then.

Just lock / delete imo

Style Icon
    Just clean all the posts in this thread which aren't to do with sales?

+ Reply to Thread