FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2

Style Icon
    Definately with Pins on the skinny jeans if you're afraid about looking like you're dressing above your age. I don't really wear them anymore but back in the day, they were a standard for me if I wanted to make my image more youthful.

Trend Setter
    Nothing against black jeans, but navy chinos are my go to.

Style Icon
    As they are mine now Wintershorts. They have the neutrality of jeans, but are just that bit smarter.

Trend Setter
    Exactly, exactly. It is still quite youthful when unpleated and skinny fit, obviously.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by William Colman View Post
    you have to dress for the occasion or the purpose.
    This is the quote of the thread for me. The extreme example is wearing a tux to a cheap cafe for dinner will make you look out of place regardless of your age or fit and quality of the tux. You have to dress right for the place and purpose of your visit.

I mean, if you are going to the type of bars and clubs I went to at your age then the smarter end of the scale will make you look like you don't belong there. Try individual formal pieces on a less formal basic outfit - the tweed blazer with a casual shirt and slim jeans as people are suggesting.

A key way to step out of the informal, youthful look is to make subtle changes. Drop the graphic print or scoop neck tees for smart, fitted crew necks. Drop the ripped, ultra skinny jeans for something slim (and selvedge is good).

I'd also suggest you look for the 'trendier' of the casual pieces. For example, lots of the brogues around are quite old looking, a pointier style of brogue may suit your better. If you go down the tweed blazer, suit or trench route like Eddie Redmayne, you have to keep it all very slim and fitted. All of the pieces featured in the article about him could be bought cheap or ill fitting and look terrible.

+ Reply to Thread