FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First ... 2 3 4 5 Last

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyboy View Post
    Well I can tell from your watches that you don't give a fuck about looking shit. Love it when you have someone who knows nothing about watches bragging about how they have a 'good' watch and how expensive it was when in reality it's a shitty 200 quartz number. What was particularly funny about the comment that made you laugh? Seems to me that you are very foolish, a bit simple, and know fuck all about watches.
    My apologies if what I said antagonized you - that wasn't my intention.

I will readily admit that I don't know the first thing about watches, but my point still stands, that it is rather foolish to judge people by what they wear - be it a watch or the clothes on their back. While it may be true in some cases to be able to tell something about someone by their appearance, appearances are often quite deceptive and they rarely tell the full story.

A man wearing an expensive watch could quite as easily be in serious debt as he could be rich... or even a thief. Without knowing the person, it's impossible to judge their status or personality purely by the timepiece on their wrist. It could be all "fur coat and no knickers".

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is fruit but wisdom is knowing that it doesn't belong in a fruit salad.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is fruit but wisdom is knowing that it doesn't belong in a fruit salad.
    I may have to use this one

Style Icon
    Dorian that phrase is genius!

I'm coming round to the idea of watches, or more specifically a stripy NATO strap on some old watches I have kicking around. They seem to add a really nice pop of colour to a suit without the clunky strap to fit under my shirt cuffs. I think I'll give it a go!

It's not outdated-it's classy

Quote Originally Posted by mimiZang View Post
    I met a Swedish friend saying that he is the only one in his community that wear a wristwatch. He uses it only for the design and match different outfits not for time telling. Maybe smart phones work for many functions for us now, so a watch seems less useful than before. But I still believe that for some men, maybe fashion oriented, a wristwatch is something nice to wear as a fashion accessory. Of course, high end time pieces still have their market, but I am talking about common people. What is your case? Do you wear a watch or think it is an out-dated thing?
    Well, I still see men wearing theirs so it's not outdated and it makes in my eyes it sort of "upgrades" their look. I like men who wear it because it makes me think that they are conscious of their time. And it's more convenient than a smart phone in the sense that I don't need to fish out of my pocket just to know what time it is.

Trend Setter
    I almost hate to say it because he seemed to be a bit of an ass, but I agree with what Tommy was saying about watches, etc. I judge people by what they wear all the time. Everyone does it, it's called a first impression. Obviously once you actually get to know someone that perception is not set in stone. But if I see someone wearing raggedy clothes with stringy, unkempt hair, I'm going to assume they don't take pride in their appearance. Along with certain other negative assumptions that naturally follow from that.

I take a lot of pride in my appearance and I think it makes a big difference in your quality of life. Just for example, and I'm sure Creed or other youngish looking people on here can back me up on this, I get treated very differently when I wear jeans/t-shirt/sneakers than when I'm wearing even the most basic "smarter" combination. I get treated more like a kid in the former, more like the adult I am in the latter. I don't get upset or angry about that fact-- it's just the way we are as a society, and I don't have a problem adjusting my appearance to elicit the reaction/perception that I want.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonymism View Post
    I almost hate to say it because he seemed to be a bit of an ass, but I agree with what Tommy was saying about watches, etc. I judge people by what they wear all the time. Everyone does it, it's called a first impression. Obviously once you actually get to know someone that perception is not set in stone. But if I see someone wearing raggedy clothes with stringy, unkempt hair, I'm going to assume they don't take pride in their appearance. Along with certain other negative assumptions that naturally follow from that.

I take a lot of pride in my appearance and I think it makes a big difference in your quality of life. Just for example, and I'm sure Creed or other youngish looking people on here can back me up on this, I get treated very differently when I wear jeans/t-shirt/sneakers than when I'm wearing even the most basic "smarter" combination. I get treated more like a kid in the former, more like the adult I am in the latter. I don't get upset or angry about that fact-- it's just the way we are as a society, and I don't have a problem adjusting my appearance to elicit the reaction/perception that I want.
    Yes for general appearance I can agree that others first impressions do count for some, I recall going to an estate agents (real estate) in ripped jeans and t shirt looking for a house years ago and visited every estate agent in my town house hunting, probably more than half didn't even ask for my contact details and I was given some rubbish houses to look at from a few others. I found it really a bit of an insult given that I had money to spend. When I pulled up for the viewings in a suit and nice car, you could visibly see the difference in the way I was treated. I like to judge everyone the same but people do notice these things.

As for tommy, where his argument crumbled was how he put a money value on this - describing any watch under 200 as shitty and therefore that person doesn't know anything about looking good, and effectively he was saying he will judge you on how much your watch cost you. I think this is a bit silly and completely different from someone dressing well overall or not making any effort, especially when 99% of the population probably couldn't tell anyone how much a particular watch model might cost unless it was a recognised brand like Rolex, and even if it was a Rolex, there is going to be an even further number of people who just don't care. I barely ever notice someone's watch at all!

If it's not about money though, then there are still smart watches which do the job perfectly well for peanuts - like this -
    ASOS | ASOS Brushed Silver Grandad Watch at ASOS

All in my own personal opinion of course, everyone has different perspectives

Style Icon
    I've got a similar experience with car dealers. Show up in jeans and t-shirt, ignored. Every time. Show up in a suit or blazer, greeted at the door. Every time. It's sad behaviour really, and something I am sure they're losing a lot of business for.

When it comes to watches, one of my own vexations is that in a lot of cases, the price tag rules the show, not the sense of style. My opinion and experience is actually quite the opposite - an expensive watch, to me, signals no idea about style and fashion. People showing up in identical, boring, even ill fitting suites (usually expensive, boring, ill fitting suites), starting pissing contents with their watches.

So I don't care too much for watches, rarely wear them, and don't feel the need to spend an awful lot of money on them.

Trend Setter
    I definitely agree with you both (Creed and Marc). The cost of whatever item should not determine how stylish it is. Especially not a price tag as arbitrary as >200, haha.

I have two watches, a casual one with a brown leather strap, and a masculine one in brushed steel that can be used in more formal situations.

Recently I've been seeing this oxford watch by Daniel Wellington. It has a simple, clean and classic design, but the best feature is that it has a variety of bands/straps which you can change out depending on your outfit.

Only problem is that everyone around here has them, and I don't want to be mainstream or look like I bought them just to "fit in". Hope that made sense.
    My favorites are the black leather one, and the blue, white and red combo.

I also want a gold Casio, they have a really nice old school look and vibe, which I'm missing in my wardrobe. Maybe with an all black outfit, or a red jumper....hmmm

Yeah you definitely get judged on how you look / dress, just like how you get judged on how you act. Dressing well is a form of good manners.

I used to think this wasn't the case, but that's idealistic nonsense really and you're just hindering yourself if you refuse to make any effort.

+ Reply to Thread
First ... 2 3 4 5 Last