FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 ... Last

Style Icon
    Just read through the thread. Not a whole lot that I could add to the advice already given.

I will only chip in with the following two things - firstly, Andy you're in really great shape.. not just for your age, but for a man of any age... you'd put a lot of people half your age to shame!! And secondly, when I see such constructive and helpful advice being given on a forum, I have to think that I'm glad I found this forum... I can't think of any other where everyone is so sound.

Best of luck with the styling Andy and keep us posted on how it's going!

Fashionisto
    Yes D, it has been very helpful and encouraging so I have been mindful of it and following it. Suddenly I am taking a lot more notice of how people dress and what is in the shops.

- The kit which made me look like a hiker has been quarantined for use only away from civilisation or when boating.
    Training shoes have been replaced with Loake boots/ Cheaney shoes
    Fleeces replaced by knitwear.

- Plenty more clothing which did not meet the new rationale has been ruthlessly disposed of into charity shops (and skips).

- Barbour jackets were mentioned more than once so today I bought a Barbour "argon" jacket which is slightly shorter and more tailored then the more traditional ones but still a classic - I hope.
    In today's vile weather, the new pea coat was ideal around town.

-I still intend to look for a suitable tweed jacket or blazer.

-In the Barbour shop I tried a flat cap. My wife liked it but I could only laugh at myself when I looked in the mirror.

Intending to splash out on some up market jeans but went through all styles in stock without finding one which fitted properly. The very helpful assistant concurred. I wonder if jeans, even some relaxed ones, are becoming bigger on the waist and tighter on the thighs. God knows how Chris Hoy gets jeans. For the time being my old Lee Coopers and M+S (including sub brands) will have to do.

I am still "getting my eye in" but sometimes even the items I reject for one reason or another I consider a sucess due to not making a possible expensive mistake.
    I am well on the way now with the winter wardrobe so I will try to plan the spring and summer kit ASAP and when I have seen more on here.

Once again , Thanks all.
    Last edited by AndyWatson; 26-01-2014 at 12:31 PM.

Fashionisto
    If I could make one small suggestion about colour, you might want to avoid black suits. With our pastey skin, I think it comes off a bit ghoulish. Other items of clothing in black I think are fine, but there's something very gothic/Addams family about black suits on a pale person.

Also, if you want an idea of how far you could conceivable push the boat out then google Nick Wooster

Trend Setter
    Some excellent advice so I'll just keep my response brief.

Style strategy -
    As you identified, trousers beyond jeans and outdoor gear are really useful for a smarter casual look. Cord trousers can be excellent but don't neglect chinos and other soft fabric casual trousers. The important thing is to make sure they fit well. In terms of fit, whilst there's no point going for something too skinny or fashion forward, a well cut slim fitting modern looking pair of trousers will flatter anyone.

Colours -
    I would also avoid too much black. It isn't very flattering, unless you're wearing black tie. Dark blues and greys are better. I'd think about introducing some browns and greens and burgundy or purple, if you are feeling braver. Shirts and jumpers are a good way to introduce more colour and solid colours are effective too.

In terms of how to put the colours together, you have pretty pale skin in the photo and either no hair at all or possibly light white hair. I'd suggest finding colours that don't contrast too greatly. Shades of graduating colour will probably flatter most.

Hats -
    Have you tried either the baker boy/Gatsby style cap (if the traditional flat cap reminds you of whippets too much) or a trilby? Remember a hat changes the look of any outfit by itself.

Hair style-
    You might try allowing your hair to grow slightly - very short hair might look slightly softer than none at all. I wouldn't wear a beard or mustache unless you already feel the urge to grow one.
    If your hair comes through dark then this might be a strong contrast with your skin tone and the advice on colours would be flipped - higher contrast clothing for higher contrast colouring.

Can't help you on jeans.

Finally, I noticed this and it might be helpful - Grey Fox: Articles discussing older and middle aged man's style and fashions

Fashionisto
    Thanks for your help Wolf.

As you may have noticed I have, whilst limited by the time I've had on this and what I can find, broadly been following the excellent advice I've had from the articles and from members.

By coincidence I'm onto trousers which closely correspond to your suggestion.
    I've bought Dockers (by Levis) Khakis which seem to fit me spot on . As they were only £12 a pair in Costco I've got 3 pairs in:
    1-dark blue ( goes with the tan boots and shoes nicely),

2-black .Well what the hell at that price but I'm cutting down on it and when I wear them I'll use with more coloured stuff.

3-mid tan/toffee colour which I wouldn't have thought of before I came on here. They seem to go well with a plain navy or predominantly burgundy, plus tan/navy check shirt and also the navy barbour jacket and pea coat. I'm not sure how they'll work with black shoes and belt yet.
    As they don't contrast much I don't think they'll work too well with my tan or mid brown shoes so I'm looking for some dark brown or dark blue shoes and belts.
    Comments on this very welcome gents.
    (ie- correct me please if wrong)

I'm still working on the hat problem. Watch this space.

My hair is pretty light grey (!)

I shall now read the article who have recommended.

I'm nowhere near as cool as you guys yet but the rate of change from almost a write off is pleasing.
    I am also pleased to have managed to buy a good proportion of UK made stuff.
    Thanks all.

ETA: I have now read the grey fox article and am working through the links.
    Some good stuff in there thanks.
    Based on that and advice on here I am increasingly confident that I can smarten myself up without looking like a silly old bugger.
    Last edited by AndyWatson; 27-01-2014 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Update

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Textbook View Post
    Hi Andy
    Firstly, a practical point about your measurements. You look a similar(ish) build to me – I am 6 foot, weigh the same as you, have a 32” waist, 33” leg and am a 38” chest (I don’t have large thighs though) but am 36 years old.

Are you sure you are a 40” chest? Generally, your chest size is 6 inches bigger than your waist (although there are exceptions) and your chest in the picture doesn’t look 40” to me. I believe around 70-80% of men are wearing the wrong chest size, particularly with blazers and could easily size down for a better fit.

Well spotted. You were right and I was wrong. I was misled by always buying 32"W jeans and what shop assistants always told me to get.
    My wife has just measured me ( for a worst case following a good meal) and I was 33W 39.5 Chest, which is close to your W+6 inches.

I think some makers put very flattering sizes on their gear as I've had some jeans on marked 30W (!). I've even had some 34s on with little slack.
    Based on this I won't be buying trousers by mail!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyWatson View Post

I think some makers put very flattering sizes on their gear as I've had some jeans on marked 30W (!). I've even had some 34s on with little slack.
    Based on this I won't be buying trousers by mail!
    Jeans tend to have more give than trousers, and they are generally worn differently.

I usually have to get 34 or even 36 in formal trousers, where 32 or 33 fits me in jeans.

I want you to post some before and after pics, I'm intrigued.

Fashionisto
    Although I've ruthlessly binned my jackets, suit and previous casual gear I've still got plenty of the sports and technical stuff, so the "befores" will be fairly easy - and embarrassing.

Give me a couple more weeks to make some progress then I'll post.
    Don't forget you guys are already well practiced at being pretty cool and I'm just starting so I'll really be sticking my neck out.

-And probably still (but less) embarrassed.

ETA: Given the effort/help I've had from you chaps I can hardly refuse that challenge.
    Last edited by AndyWatson; 28-01-2014 at 12:14 AM.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWatson View Post

2-black .Well what the hell at that price but I'm cutting down on it and when I wear them I'll use with more coloured stuff.
    I wouldn't worry about black trousers. They won't wash you out in the same way as a black jacket/t-shirt/etc because they're not near enough to your face to create a problem.

Unless of course you wear them up to your armpits.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkestFlamingo View Post
    Unless of course you wear them up to your armpits.
    He's not that old.

+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 ... Last