FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    Nat

Style Icon
    Sounds like you're making great progress Andy, and really starting to get it. I look forward to the pics.

Style Icon
    Go for it!

I don't think a single person on this forum would class ourselves as cool, most of us are like you and enjoy experimenting with clothes to ultimately look good and feel good. Once you've found your sweet spot with a look you like and also feel comfortable in, it will seem like a walk in the park.

Nat

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post

I don't think a single person on this forum would class ourselves as cool,
    Nah.....I'm definitely cool...... My mum said.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWatson View Post
    Well spotted. You were right and I was wrong. I was misled by always buying 32"W jeans and what shop assistants always told me to get.
    My wife has just measured me ( for a worst case following a good meal) and I was 33W 39.5 Chest, which is close to your W+6 inches.

I think some makers put very flattering sizes on their gear as I've had some jeans on marked 30W (!). I've even had some 34s on with little slack.
    Based on this I won't be buying trousers by mail!
    If you are buying a blazer, I would still try on both a 38 and a 40 because you are kind of in between sizes. You might be ok with the 38. I am a 38 but own two suits where Iíve sized down to a 36 because I felt the 38 was too big in the shoulders. Iím a 38 in everything else but just illustrating there are exceptions and a loose fitting blazer looks terrible.

Fashionisto
    I was in a decent shop in Derby today trying on tweed jackets and could get into a 38 if I took off my pullover, but only just, and that was with a very thin coolmax vest underneath
    (- Yes they are still lurking around but it was, till then, well hidden as I wasn't expecting to almost strip).
    I'll have put more time into this one. However it was another case of having some options already so I didn't have to make a rash distress purchase.
    As per Nat's comment I (think) I'm starting to get it - but finding what I want is the tricky bit.
    At least I'm fairly well covered for the current weather. Watch me panic when the Pea coat, Barbour, brogues and kahaki's/jeans have to go away!

As per Wolf's post I have had a look at and subsequently subscribed, to Greyfox' excellent blog. Of course this has generated about another thousand leads to study.
    Last edited by AndyWatson; 28-01-2014 at 07:30 PM.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Textbook View Post
    If you are buying a blazer, I would still try on both a 38 and a 40 because you are kind of in between sizes.
    And just because one manufacturer's 40" is another's 38" or 42" chest. I've got jackets that all fit the same claiming differing chest sizes and why I can't really understand how you can buy suits, blazers or jackets without trying them on.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyWatson View Post
    I was in a decent shop in Derby today trying on tweed jackets
    If you are in Derby then can I recommend trying Brigdens for this sort of thing, if you are in the area and haven't looked in. I discovered them last year and thought they had an excellent range of jackets, blazers and suits. They do a made-to-measure service as well. I found the staff helpful and they seemed to know their suits.

Fashionisto
    Yes Wolf, Brigdens is where I was and I concur with your assessment.
    Their range and good coverage of sizes, plus the alteration service gives me confidence that I will be more likely to get stuff which fits properly.
    A good proportion of what I've binned was due to being the wrong size - and that includes a made to measure suit.

I bought my Loake boots there and the Barbour jacket from their Burton on Trent branch.

Fashionisto
    Knitwear update:
    In line with advice given in earlier posts I have started to think a bit more about knitwear.

I've binned most of my "technical" l/s shirts-fleeces and quarantined a couple of survivors. I promise these are to be used only for hiking/boating/gardening/sport etc!
    Fortunately the wardrobe clearout has revealed a few item of knitwear which were worth saving:

Chunky stuff:
    A couple of good quality pure wool chunky sweaters, one each in plain dark green and navy which will probably work with the barbour/ pea coat. Ideally I'd like more contrast and /or a pattern so I'll keep looking for something along those lines.
    I've also laid hands on a Rowan pattern book with some nice designs in to use with british breeds sheep wool so despite the cost being about £120 for wool only I'm going to beg my wife/mother in law to take on a project.

Fine knitwear:
    This is something I've rarely worn to date but has been mentioned in earlier advice so I'm giving it some thought. I might need to get some help with layering etc (!?)
    The clear out has revealed two unused items of possible future use.
    Black "Autograph" fine wool crew neck.
    Bottle green " linea" merino V neck.

I've also been to John Smedley's factory shop (who are having a 20%off their already very reasonable prices) and bought:

Grey /blue horizontal striped crew neck. Should work with blue or black jeans or chinos

Apple red V neck. It was T-shirt money (£23) and is a bit of an experiment with slightly brighter colours.

I think the reason I've not used closer fitting fine knitwear in the past is that I've always had hard wearing and easily washable technical alternatives.
    I can see that this needs more care with washing - so what do you wear underneath and how do you cope with collar awkwardness? As I see it a collared shirt looks odd and a T-shirt could be challenging in the collar area of a crew neck.

As usual I hope I'm not boring you and eagerly await your comments.

ETA I've filled the card on my camera and it won't take any more pics till I get a new one. For the time being, for the "before" photos imagine the window display at Millet's or Blacks's.
    Last edited by AndyWatson; 29-01-2014 at 09:53 PM.

Nat

Style Icon
    I wear t-shirts and shirts underneath both v and crew neck jumpers all the time. No problem with it. If you're not feeling too bold with colour overall, then it's a nice way to add a pop of colour or pattern. Just the collar of a floral shirt showing, or a red t shirt underneath a grey v neck.

Fashionisto
    Right then, as promised. Here's where I've got to so far:

Some what I've got to work with, before, and getting there (maybe) photos.
    Please bear in mind that some photos were taken with flash so colours aren't quite rght and for some reason my camera/computer combo seems to make stuff shorter and wider - I know this 'cos bike wheels come out oval.
    I'm also crap at staring into cameras.

Please feel free to make any critical or helpful comments whether invited or not.

Pic 1
    Typical dress before.
    Running shoes, jeans, technical t shirt, technical top, baseball cap

Older suits and casual gear all disposed of.
    Now moving on to some stuff I've bought (bearing in mind advice given) or have survived disposal>

Pic 2
    Jeans all slim fit L to R
    -Indigo jeans, slim fit M and S
    -Washed grey jeans, as above
    -Blue vintage Lee Cooper jeans

Pic 3
    Docker (levi) flat front slim fit khakis
    (all £12 each from Costco)
    Navy
    Toffee
    Black

Pic 4
    Slim fit shirts -I already had these and like them but feel free to room 101 them!
    blue white next
    Black , navy , silver grey from Autograph - (M and S) all slightly patterned.

Pic 5
    More newer shirts
    Red white check, Costco £12
    Burgundy check as above
    Black, Ted Baker (already had this)

The above photos show some of the stuff I'll be working with.
    Your comments on mix ing matching or scrapping will be welcome.

I shalll edit more pics into this post shortly.

Thanks A

+ Reply to Thread