Fine knitwear
    Left side.
    J Smedley Red V neck (sale 29)
    J S grey/navy crew (sale 35)

Jeager red/ navy crew neck (sale 35)
    Autograph black crew (already had this)
    Bottle green Linea v neck (as above)
    Right side top to bottom

Had to split thse 2 pics from the above post to get less than 5 pics.

Nat

Style Icon
    You've got some great pieces in there Andy. How you doing for footwear?

Look forward to seeing you put some of this stuff together

Trend Setter
    Hi Andy

Seems like you are doing well. Some solid purchases there.
    I have missed some of the info in this long thread (good to see the guys helping out), but I just wanted to give one bit of advice.

For any starting up wardrobe or in your case transition to a new one, you need to focus on the bear essentials. You do not need 10 shirts, 5 jeans, in all different colours and prints.
    A good starting wardrobe is one that works well together. The foundation of your outfits.

Focus in on the key items for your day to day life, and buy in outfits to go with clothing you already own.
    This way 1 piece can be used 3 times a week and make the outfits look very different.

for instance
    Five Ways To Wear: The Navy Blazer - MR PORTER - YouTube
    Five Ways to Wear: Navy Chinos -- MR PORTER - YouTube

If you buy randomly, you could end up wasting money and feel like you have nothing to wear, although you bought a load of new things.
    This is something I am sure a lot of the guys in here have gone through.

Buy sensibly and build essentials.

Trend Setter
    As for shirts, I'd throw in some plain oxford cloth button downs in light blue or white. They would go pretty well with most of your new knitwear.

Fashionisto
    Continuing from the posts above, here's some of the stuff I've been using in the present (crap) weather. I live in Derbyshire and spend a lot of time outside so summer stuff can wait.
    BTW I threw the oufits on quickly to get photos while my wife was around...!
    Don't forget my ealier comments about the photos being distorted width-wise.

Pic 8
    Here I'm trying to get get something to work with the toffee coloured khakis.
    Ignore black t shirt. Maybe should use white.
    Not my usual colour but I think the bottle green is OK.... (?)
    I think the burgundy check shirt from pic5 might also be OK (?)

includes Tan Derby Shoes from Cheaney factory shop (108)

Pic 9
    Pea coat. Jaeger (sale)
    Navy khakis
    Beanie hat from J Smedley (sale 12) - Might not work with this coat but at least it's not baseball hat.
    Cheaney shoes.

Pic10
    Hat from Christy sale (15) to try size and if it works. Another attempt not to wear a baseball hat. Deliberately avoided black or grey but does it work?
    barbour jumper.
    Barbour jacket (sale 175) I have hardly had this off since buying it. Replaces gore-tex anorak etc. Didn't buy olive green as that's what everyone else around here wears (!)
    Old lee jeans.
    Loake Tan brogue boots (Brigdens sale)

Now a couple of suits to replace the old ones which although made to measure just looked dated.

Pic 11
    Black suit (debenhams sale (105) Not really an emotional must have but someone will die or get married this year.
    I've tried to give it a bit of a lft with a pink checked shirt.
    Need a white shirt and tie when sutable one can be found.

Pic 12
    Grey suit debenhams sale 78 so cheap enough.
    Tried to informalise it with brown belt and shoes.
    Is the shirt OK and which others from above pics will go with it?

I am aware that most of the trousers shown need shortening a bit when I get chance.

I will get summer gear organised later but meanwhile I'm looking for a blazer or tweed jacket to fit bewteen the suits and serious outdoor wear.

Right then guys.
    When you've stopped laughing fire away with your comments, suggestions, things you think I've screwed up on and stuff you think I should still get.

Thanks and apologies for such a big post.
    Last edited by AndyWatson; 08-02-2014 at 11:00 PM.

Style Icon
    Great variety in these pics, very good! Excellent in fact!

The only immediate recommendation is that your trousers look too long in some of these pics, these will need taking up ever so slightly, it can make the difference between a good and a brilliant outfit (google trouser break). Alternatively if there is a little room at the waist, just pull up a bit higher and go one tighter on the belt notch.

Trend Setter
    Well impressed. Good show.

I would only make one slight adjustment, and it is just because I am particular.
    Get the trousers hemmed so there is not such a large break. It will give your legs a better silhouette.

Fashionisto
    Thanks chaps for all your help.
    No doubt you can match (some of) what you've seen here to your previous comments.

I've been buying trousers faster than I can get them shortened.
    I've also been running 45 miles a week to remove the Xmas podge and stuff I bought the week after Xmas is now going a bit slack.

I think I'll now have a breather to take stock, have a look round, give my smoking bank cards a chance to cool down and catch up with all the advice/links you have given me.
    Keep those comments coming though. I'd rather have some expert constructive critisism from yourselves than look a dick and waste money.

Once again thanks.

Nat

Style Icon
    Andy, first off, great work. I can see a total transformation already. You've obviously learned a lot really quickly (if that doesn't sound massively patronising!). I think you're very wise to step back now, and use the time to get a real feel for what your developing style looks like, what works well together etc. Focus on really nailing the fit now. Rather that buying new stuff take things to the tailors. When you get it back it will be like having a new item of clothing anyway, and it will look tons better. Keep up the great work! And keep us posted.

Fashionisto
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    By coincidence I was in John Lewis today - to pick up something with Mrs W.
    They had some really good end of winter knitwear bargains but as it wasn't advised by yourselves or on my plan I didn't buy.
    Did me good!

+ Reply to Thread
First ... 2 3 4 5 Last