FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First ... 3 4 5

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWatson View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    By coincidence I was in John Lewis today - to pick up something with Mrs W.
    They had some really good end of winter knitwear bargains but as it wasn't advised by yourselves or on my plan I didn't buy.
    Did me good!
    It is a good tip - I've stopped buying for my winter wardrobe now, I have enough. Spring summer will creep up quickly and you'll be doing it all again, so sometimes it's good to just stop buying stuff which you'll only be able to wear for the next 3 months or so when the weather will get warmer.

Style Icon
    Jaysus Andy - that's some turnaround. You've gone from looking like an OAP ASBO to a gentleman in little or no time at all! I'm impressed. (Just kidding about the OAP bit!)

My tuppence for what it's worth - On the pea coat look, I'd definitely try that with a flat cap. Think it would suit the look perfectly. The second hat in pic 3 is cool as f*ck.

On the suits, definitely get the trousers sorted. The addition of a pocket square would definitely lift the look too. And the last bit I'd add, is maybe try a slim fit blazer next time - with your build you'd definitely be able to carry it off. Also, you might try wearing the trouser waist a bit lower.

Other than that - great show dude. I wish you much continued success in your "new clothes adventures" and as Nat says in his post, I'm sure you'll soon be developing a style all of your own soon enough.

Trend Setter
    Gentlemen.
    I think the next few items for consideration based on your comments given are:

1 Another attempt at a flat cap.(!)

2 Quality white shirt, probably OBDC.

And finally the tricky one:

3 Jacket/Blazer.

I've had a look at and liked a harris tweed jacket which seemed to have secondary colours in to go with jeans/ trousers in other colours. eg This one, from the more tailored range :
    Angus Harris Tweed Jacket
    and the pic on the left:
    Harris Tweed jackets direct from the manufacturer
    The one I tried was a 40" which felt OK but I'm trying not to go too big as I am actually 39" Chest.
    The makers size table shows that a size 38" is actually 42.9" and the 40" is 44.9"
    ie they have 4.9" of space

An alternative from the "trad" range which I haven't tried is:
    Taransay Harris Tweed Jacket
    In this range the sizes are 38" is actually 43.3" and the 40" is 45.3"
    ie they have 5.3" of space

Based on the above my tactic will be to try a 38" in the more modern tailored range but if it's a bit tight try a 38" from the trad range (if I like the colour) to gain the extra 0.4".
    If that doesn't work I'll try the 40 in the tailored version.

(Sorry if I'm boring you. Can you tell that I'm an engineer!?)
    You will no doubt notice that I am now becoming very concious of the fit.
    I tried a Magee tweed jacket in a 40" in another shop, with and without a pullover under and although they had 38" and 40" the salesman said I should go for a 40" .
    Can you see why I'm a bit confused and treading carefully now?

Incidentally I tried an M and S collezione jacket in 38" and although the wrong colour it fitted bang on so I'm not a complete write off.

Having watched the MrPorter video recommended by James-post 33, I can't help noticing the model's jackets look very short (?). I was told by a saalesman that it should cover your "seat". (his word!)
    By the end of the summer I might be wearing bright green chinos myself and promise to post a pic if I get that far.

Thanks guys - for your forbearance.
    Last edited by AndyWatson; 13-02-2014 at 11:13 PM.

Style Icon
    Gentlemen.
    I think the next few items for consideration based on your comments given are:

1 Another attempt at a flat cap.(!)

2 Quality white shirt, probably OBDC.

And finally the tricky one:

3 Jacket/Blazer.

I've had a look at and liked a harris tweed jacket which seemed to have secondary colours in to go with jeans/ trousers in other colours. eg This one, from the more tailored range :
    Angus Harris Tweed Jacket
    and the pic on the left:
    Harris Tweed jackets direct from the manufacturer
    The one I tried was a 40" which felt OK but I'm trying not to go too big as I am actually 39" Chest.
    The makers size table shows that a size 38" is actually 42.9" and the 40" is 44.9"
    ie they have 4.9" of space

An alternative from the "trad" range which I haven't tried is:
    Taransay Harris Tweed Jacket
    In this range the sizes are 38" is actually 43.3" and the 40" is 45.3"
    ie they have 5.3" of space

Based on the above my tactic will be to try a 38" in the more modern tailored range but if it's a bit tight try a 38" from the trad range to gain the extra 0.4".
    If that doesn't work I'll try the 40 in the tailored version.

(Sorry if I'm boring you. Can you tell that I'm an engineer!?)
    I tried a Magee tweed jacket in a 40" in another shop, with and without a pullover under and although they had 38" and 40" the salesman said I should go for a 40" .

Incidentally I tried an M and S collezione jacket in 38" and although the wrong colour it fitted bang on so I'm not a complete write off.

Having watched the MrPorter video recommended by James-post 33, I can't help noticing the models jackets look very short (?).
    By the end of the summer I might be wearing bright green chinos myself and promise to post a pic if I get that far.

Thanks guys.
    The jackets look beautiful, but 300 is a lot for an experimental look! I personally would spend perhaps 100 for a tweed jacket from the likes of Topman or even something from marks and spencer and then the savings go towards a trip to the local alterations / tailors for a PERFECT fit. You could of course take the harris tweed to the tailors too (recommended) but you are then looking at a 350 jacket by the time you've had something fitted well.

You could have a beautiful looking tweed jacket, fully altered to you for well under 200, possibly even 150.

But almost always, you'll need to take a blazer to the tailors to make it outstanding.

Trend Setter
    The makers website shows RRP but the jackets are available elsewhere for 150 up.
    I should have included that info.

Quality advice though from an expert so again the forum has proved effective.

Can anyone please recommend a tailor in the Nottingham / Derby area or the best way to find one?

Thanks to Creed especially but also in advance to anyone else for your input.
    Last edited by AndyWatson; 14-02-2014 at 12:13 AM.

Style Icon

Ignore the salesmen. Half of them don't know what they are talking about and the other half will try and flog you whatever they have a surplus of left in stock, regardless of whether it fits you or not.

Adding on to what Creed advised, Topman have some Harris tweed blazers for sale for 150. They're probably not as well put together as the ones you've listed, but I think they're nicer - definitely a more modern cut - shorter in the body, round cut at the front and some nice, almost military style top pockets - which would give you a more youthful look.

http://www.topman.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?searchTerm=harris+tweed&storeId=125 55&productId=12579982&urlRequestType=Base&category Id=&langId=-1&productIdentifier=product&catalogId=33056

Trend Setter
    I like the shorter length so I'll get down there as soon as I can as they've only got 36 and 38 left.

Who else on the high street has these slightly shorter bodied ones?

ETA: Thanks to Creed and Dorian for your posts , I value your help. I think now that I was coming at the problem from the wrong angle, - trying to accept what was available rather than having the knowledge and confidence to stick out for what I want. Your advice has probably saved me from buying something I wasn't quite happy with because it was all I could find. Although I'm still jacket-less I see this as another forum success.
    Last edited by AndyWatson; 14-02-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Trend Setter

I think this is probably just a typical example of how different manufacturers cut differently. I'm normally a 42" chest but have 40" jackets that have more space in them than some of my 42" ones and a 38" one and a 44" one that fit fine. There's just no substitute for trying them on.

Having watched the MrPorter video recommended by James-post 33, I can't help noticing the model's jackets look very short (?). I was told by a saalesman that it should cover your "seat". (his word!)
    Short jackets are a more current look. Traditionally, suit jackets and sports jackets would cover your seat. At the moment a slightly shorter cut is perfectly acceptable. Some jackets are cut so that they seem to barely cover the waistband of your low-rise trousers. I'd advise against this. A decent tweed jacket is going to last you for many years and an extreme look will be dated within five years.

Style Icon
    The standard jacket length for a suit jacket should be that it ends between your thumb knuckles when your arms are by your side.

Trend Setter
    Thanks Wolf and Creed.
    I'll bear your rule of thumb (knuckles!) in mind as a short cut. I think that's about where most of the jackets I've tried would fall but because I'm quite tall and skinny the proportions are not what I'm used to seeing on myself. I will check this out.

Incidentally I've just bought a flat cap as a few, including Dorian (post 46), have suggested.
    I found a traditional gents outfitters swimming with them all made in the UK and only 15 so at that price I can afford to take a chance.

+ Reply to Thread
First ... 3 4 5