FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Coat to wear over a suit?

Hi guys/gals

Im just wondering if this coat would be ok to wear over a suit?

ASOS | ASOS Wool Jacket With Funnel Neck In Black at ASOS

If not then any suggestions for under 100?

Also would I need one size bigger as its going over suit jacket?

Thanks

Style Icon
    It doesn't look like it's meant to be worn on top of a suit jacket, by witch I mean there might not be room to comfortably wear a suit jacket under it. With the right coat, you shouldn't have to size up.

The other problem is the length. The suit jacket should not peek out under the coat, and this coat would require a short jacket.

It's generally a bad idea to order a coat that you want to fit over a jacket online, as there is low margin for size errors. You need to try it on with a suit under. Also, I suggest getting a longer coat - at least half way down your thigh, if not knee length, to give a bit of buffer between coat and jacket.

Fashionisto
    I totally agree with Marc. A good overcoat would be the perfect solution. Enough space for the jacket and a very smart appearance. Some examples:

Thanks guys.

Am going Brighton on Friday so might have to check out places like Zara and Topman.
    Any other good shops for overcoats?
    Cant really afford a lot as just spent 240 on Hugo Boss suit!

Style Icon
    Overcoats are sort of falling out of season now which might mean either some nice sale items or alternatively none at all! ASOS have a few.

I must admit I think your original one would look ok over a suit, it's double breasted so it looks smart and I think it would cover the bottom of a blazer. As pointed out though the cut might mean it wouldn't fit a suit very well beneath.

Nat

Style Icon
    Hmmm have to agree with Marc and Mathew. Not sure that jacket is smart enough to wear over a suit. It's more of a peacoat.

Good advice from Marc - wear your suit and go try some coats on.

@Creed
    Thanks.
    I have noticed a lot of places dont have any! Will get very cold then as I will either need to get whatever I find or go without a coat!

This is ok I think.

ASOS | ASOS Double Breasted Wool Overcoat In Navy With Velvet Collar at ASOS

Fashionisto
    That one looks good! Can be beautifully combined with a good suit. Maybe add a nice scarf and you're all ready for the cold.

Style Icon
    That Asos one isn't too bad. Quite a deep V so a suit underneath will be fully visible.

Not sure what your budget is, but if you are after something a bit more of a statement:

http://www.topman.com/en/tmuk/produc...%5d&bi=1&ps=20

Brown Coat J242 | Suitsupply Online Store

Various others approx 300 on suit supply

Outerwear | Suitsupply Online Store

With an overcoat, you'll only really wear it maybe 4 months a year and will take it off after each journey, so it won't get much wear and will last years. I have one that is 7 years old and still looks new. For this reason it's worth investing a little more and think of the long term

EDIT - ah ok budget 100. It has to be asos then

Yeah sadly only 100. Paid over my budget for 240 Hugo Boss suit so now only 100 left ha ha
    Only really need it for next 2 months. April should get warmer then it is now.

Thanks guys!

+ Reply to Thread