FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Slim Jeans for big calves...

Hi all,

I'm slowly beginning to lose the will in my hunt for some nicely fitted slim Indigo Jeans. The problem is thus; I do a fair amount of sprinting, and my calves have a reasonably large circumference of about 17" which doesn't seem to fit in a lot of 'slim' jeans - well, without the use of a crowbar anyway.

About the only thing I've found is a Diesel 'slylow' cut, but they are tapered and I find the waist area too baggy for what I'm trying to achieve.

I've tried Nudie Slim Jims, which didn't fit at all, same story with Asos/Levi Slim fit.

To make matters worse, I'm pathetically short at 5"6, and require a 29" leg and 30" waist, though that's something I could get sorted at a taylor, of course.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience of brands or fits that may serve me well?

Everyone is going to tell you to go to a tailor

I get loads of jeans tailored and it's great to have perfectly fitting jeans.

Given your unusual size I'd say it's the only way forward. Find some jeans that you like in the waist / rise, but with legs that are too large, and let the tailor do the rest

Style Icon
    There's nothing pathetic about being 5'6" (says me who is 5'6").

I second Ivan, for the sake of a 15 bill to taper your jeans you could save yourself a lot of searching by getting them done at the tailors. It sound like you are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, by the pure nature of a skinny cut, are are not going to find anything suitable off the peg unfortunately. A 'slim' rather than skinny might be a better option (from the likes of topmam and Asos)

Also try to find stuff with a bit of stretch innum

Fashionisto
    I don't know if you have tried any jeans from Gap. I'm quite short as well at only 5"8 and I can't fit in to skinny jeans very well. However, the Gap slim jeans and the authentic skinny seem to
    fit me pretty well. They also have the added bonus that they do a 28" leg on most jeans/trousers online now so no need to get them taken up by a tailor. They could be worth a shot!

Fashionisto
    Mate as everyone else has said i think the tailor is the way forward, Find a pair you like that fit nice in the waist and arse, then get the tailor to sort the rest out.

However two brands i can recommend are EDWIN, specifically the ED-80 fit, they give a bit of room through thigh and calf but then taper right down at the very bottom for about a 13" leg opening. Also J.Lindeberg, some of there jeans are a really nice fit, and sit nicely in the not to slim but not to baggy range, there "Jay" jean range especially. There're both quite pricey options tho, for something cheap maybe give the asos slim range a blast found they fit really nicely aswell, and have a little give in them.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Jblack View Post
    Mate as everyone else has said i think the tailor is the way forward, Find a pair you like that fit nice in the waist and arse, then get the tailor to sort the rest out.

However two brands i can recommend are EDWIN, specifically the ED-80 fit, they give a bit of room through thigh and calf but then taper right down at the very bottom for about a 13" leg opening. Also J.Lindeberg, some of there jeans are a really nice fit, and sit nicely in the not to slim but not to baggy range, there "Jay" jean range especially. There're both quite pricey options tho, for something cheap maybe give the asos slim range a blast found they fit really nicely aswell, and have a little give in them.
    Edwin's a great choice, but I wouldn't recommend the ED80's if you have big calves. They are just above the super skinnies.
    ED55 or the ED71 would be less restrictive yet still slim.

For the money, try out Gap's Japanese selvedge denim (both washed or raw).

+ Reply to Thread