FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

An amazing minimalist wardrobe-thought I'd share this with you guys

Found this on reddit today; as for my own opinion, I like the overall clean aesthetic of the whole wardrobe, but I feel that it's a tad too "safe" (it lacks colour imo). (Obviously this wardrobe is quite on the casual side of the spectrum, so it might not be to everyone's tastes here.)

However the main concept is sound-invest in quality, timeless basics and versatile pieces which go great with each other, which at the end of the day is kind of like the Fashionbeans mantra. I'd thought that we'd get a discussion going-is something like this too dull and basic, or would pops of colour bring everything up a notch? Would some on trend pieces add something new to diversify?

It's a nice idea, but it only works if you only ever wear one style.

The overall look is v.basic imho and I don't really like any of the outfits. A lot of money spent but nothing special about any of the looks. The styled outfits look like what you would expect to see any no-effort pub guy wearing.

Some colours or nods to any kind of trend/fashion forward aesthetic might take it where it needs to be.

It's all subjective though and whoever compiled it is obviously very happy with it.

Style Icon
    First of all, what an excellent photo project! Well photographed. Well presented. And very brave.

He's got some good basics. I think everything in his wardrobe goes with everything else, which is handy. He seems to have given his wardrobe a good think through, and bought smart.

However, this kind of wardrobe would not suit me. I find it way too boring. It's all in a scale from white to grey to blue to navy. No colours. No patterns. I'm wondering if he has left accessories out, because it could all be "fixed" (assuming it is something needing fixing) with a tie, a watch, socks. Even a small statement thing would make a big impact, and in my opinion great improvement.

It's simple. Smart. Sensible. But also boring and very "safe". It lacks personality.

That said, that is from my very own perspective, were it my wardrobe. This guy has probably got exactly what he wants to have. He has obviously put too much thought into that wardrobe for anything to be in there by chance.

Nat

Style Icon
    I like the way this has been shot and presented. But it is a bit safe. I quite like the idea though. Good way to figure out some new combinations of stuff. I find myself pairing the same items together because I know it looks good, but it can get a bit stale.

Des

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by malti001 View Post
    Found this on reddit today; as for my own opinion, I like the overall clean aesthetic of the whole wardrobe, but I feel that it's a tad too "safe" (it lacks colour imo). (Obviously this wardrobe is quite on the casual side of the spectrum, so it might not be to everyone's tastes here.)

However the main concept is sound-invest in quality, timeless basics and versatile pieces which go great with each other, which at the end of the day is kind of like the Fashionbeans mantra. I'd thought that we'd get a discussion going-is something like this too dull and basic, or would pops of colour bring everything up a notch? Would some on trend pieces add something new to diversify?
    Personally I love those curations and also the brand harmony.
    Don't get me wrong I like what members do here, but the ethos of those brands are as far away from this place as you can get.

Trend Setter
    Yeah there's a bunch of higher end stuff that you don't see here often (From what I've seen here, only Joshua's and maybe Ivan's wardrobes seem to fit that). Sure he may have bought a lot of this stuff on sale or on second hand, but that still would have cost him a pretty penny considering there's APC, Acne, CPs, MMM, and Visvim. (I really don't get Visvim's designs and price tags lol)

Personally my mind was screaming as I went through the album, "Please let there be at least some coloured/patterned knits in there!" It wasn't the case tho.
    Last edited by malti001; 31-01-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by malti001 View Post
    maybe Ivan's

Nat

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Des View Post
    Personally I love those curations and also the brand harmony.
    Don't get me wrong I like what members do here, but the ethos of those brands are as far away from this place as you can get.
    Can you explain what you mean Des? I think this community embraces a really wide range of approaches to clothes, including experience, budget, style...the lot. What's common across us all, is that we're all doing the best we can within our means, whether that means Joshua dropping 1k+ on a beautiful Belstaff leather, or someone picking up a vintage jacket for 20.

I think he means the ethos of the brands; they are all brands that are presented as high quality, well designed, ethically produced, quite understated.

I mainly find them pretentious and overpriced tbh

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Condor Aasllani View Post
    Not hating on you in any way, but I find All Saints to fit in with the rest of them tbh.

+ Reply to Thread