FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Quantity or quality?

I have just started building up my wardrobe thanks to this site and I realize now that I have a lot of shirts but the quality of them is not that great to be honest and to make things worse they have no versatility whatsoever. So should I start again but with better quality items to make the ideal capsule wardrobe and then build up from there?

And sorry if this question has been asked countless times in the past, I am still learning the ropes.

Edit: To put things into perspective I have spent $200 on all my shirts and I own about 6.
    Last edited by klaroline; 02-02-2014 at 05:48 AM.

Style Icon
    Always aim for quality where possible, remembering that quality doesn't always have to mean higher price. There are plenty of higher priced poor quality items (I.e designers) and some lower priced reasonable quality items (such as uniqlo).

I tend to veer towards quantity purely because I get bored of my clothes and like to change things fairly regularly anyway, so I don't really need to justify buying items that are going to last me years. As long as the cut is good and the material is reasonable, I'll buy it.

Trend Setter
    I am a bit of both. Quantity in some things like TShirts or Generic Jumpers, like the kind from Uniqlo. They are great for buying different colours at a good cost.
    But then having a few quality Items to really pick up an outfit. Like some good shoes, a great coat and a nice watch.

That way you can have a reasonably priced outfit, with a keypiece or 2 easily adapting new cheaper alternatives in different prints, colours and styles to really mix it up.

Style Icon
    I want to say quality, because that is my aim, but it would be a half truth as "value for money" is more true. I try to make "good", well informed choices.

Quality items usually look and feel better, last longer and ages with dignity. But the economic reality is such that I can't always go for top quality, so I get the best I can for what money I have to spend.

+ Reply to Thread