FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

white shirts - nipples, acne and tattoos

Well how about that for a title?

So at the grand old age of mid 30's my back is finally clear of pimples so i am at last wanting to invest in some crisp white shirts.

The few i have tried on though, I have the embarrassment of seeing the darkness of my nipples through the fabric and also the dodgy football tattoos on my shoulders show through on the sleeves.

So is this just an issue of needing to pay more for the quality of fabric, or do i have to just go for thicker cotton and loose that 'crispness'?

Any advice would be great.

Al

Style Icon
    Normally the more see-through materials are cotton mix (such as polyester and cotton mix), pure cotton is going to provide the best solution. That way, you'll have the option of going for something thicker. An oxford shirt should almost definitely conceal your tattoos with the thicker thread count , and as for your nipples you could either just enjoy flaunting them, or do what my girlfriend does in her dress up nights out and buy those hideous 'pasties'!!

Style Icon
    I have some shirts that you can see my tattoos through and some you cannot (All White).
    I find it is the thickness of the fabric more than anything, secondly the type of weave it is made with might help.
    You can see weaves here:From poplin to pinpoint: shirt weaves explained | Charles Tyrwhitt

In this example mine are all made from the same material, and of similar quality (sometimes even from the same brand) although made in different weaves.
    I would suggest looking for a thicker yet comfortable material although this could not be the answer in the summer.

Tattoos are something we now have to live with and nipples are part of human nature.
    My Oxfords seem to be fine. As a rule I generally steer clear of thin material, especially for work.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    You can see weaves here:From poplin to pinpoint: shirt weaves explained | Charles Tyrwhitt

In this example mine are all made from the same material, and of similar quality (sometimes even from the same brand) although made in different weaves.
    I would suggest looking for a thicker yet comfortable material although this could not be the answer in the summer.
    Thanks James, now i just gotta get myself down to Charles Tyrwhitt and find out my size.

Al

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    An oxford shirt should almost definitely conceal your tattoos with the thicker thread count ,
    Thanks Creed, but can an Oxford shirt ever be 'crisp' or are they always a little casual?

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by ukalec View Post
    Thanks Creed, but can an Oxford shirt ever be 'crisp' or are they always a little casual?
    You can most definitely get them crisp with spray starch when ironing, in fact the thicker shirts lend themselves to a very crisp look, however it seems most oxfords / thick cotton shirts have the smaller casual collar (mostly with button down), but they still look very 'smart casual' in my opinion - as long as it's a good fit and not too baggy of course.

Style Icon
    If there was a prize for "Most off-putting thread title ever", this one would win it.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    If there was a prize for "Most off-putting thread title ever", this one would win it.
    The prize should be pastys, clearasil and lazer removal...

But seriously folks, thanks for the answers. If anyone wants to recommend a good place on the high street for shirts, that would also be appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread