FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Most versatile Coat/Jacket?

I really need to get myself a new jacket and since I'm a student I can only afford to get myself one good quality jacket.

So which is your most versatile coat/jacket?

Also as a side question, same thing for shoes/boots. If you could only have two of your current pairs, which would it be?

Nat

Style Icon
    Depends entirely on your style, though for something that can be dressed up or down, you can't beat a peacoat in either navy or charcoal.

Same goes for shoes. If you can only have two pairs, then makes sense to have one smart (brown derby or tan brogue) and one casual (desert boots or chukka boots).

J8x

Trend Setter
    I'm thinking something along the lines of a Barbour field jacket or quilt. Probably the most versatile in terms of being able to dress up or down and giving the option of wearing as a regular jacket or layering underneath and using like it's outerwear. Depends on your personal style to begin with though. Trying some different styles on with your current wardrobe would go a long way to seeing how it would fit in with your tastes.

Style Icon
    I'm taking it you need something for now, the winter season? In that case, I'd say a warm leather jacket is very versatile. I prefer the bomber type leather jacket, like the one below.

As for shoes/boots, with regard to season, I'd keep my black working boots (for rainy/snowy days) and my brown brogue boots (for when you need or want something a little less rough).

Fashionisto
    After asking for advice on here I have recently bought a pea-coat and a Barbour jacket.
    Both are classics (as is Marc's bomber) and could well be with you for many years so you could grow your own vintage.

Possibly of interest to you:
    Brigdens at Derby are doing an end of winter "sale" with genuine reductions on Barbour. This is the Barbour "Argon" jacket which I bought as It's a bit smarter than the classic green shooting type ones.
    Barbour wax 06f navy - Brigdens

^ Was going to suggest something like that Barbour. A nice waxed field jacket is eminently practical and goes with everything.

Shoes are a harder one; ones I wear most are prob my tan Belstaff monks and my chocolate brown All Saints chelsea boots, though I would want to keep something in black/grey and some loafers too really. Would also need some trainers and I couldn't really be without statement shoes like my Burberry cork soles / woven Westwood loafers.
    Last edited by Ivan Condor Aasllani; 04-02-2014 at 10:24 PM.

Fashionisto
    Marl, please see the attached link about waxed cotton jackets and photos of some famous wearers.

http://www.greyfoxblog.com/2012/10/o...-heritage.html

If Royalty, Che Guevara and Steve McQueen aren't stylish enough there's always the WW2 navy officer who looks like Russell Crowe (but twice a hard) to inspire you.
    Last edited by AndyWatson; 05-02-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Fashionisto
    hey guys, thanks very much for the replies, I like the idea of a charcoal peacoat, everywhere you look people are wearing black ones, nice to have somthing a little different, even if it is only subtly. Imo the Barbour wax jackets are a little too casual, wouldn't wear on a night out etc, the leather bomber is more my style and seems a little more versatile. I'll look into those.

Thanks for replies about shoes, will be good to get some ideas when i can afford a new pair.

Just bought myself a black reiss overcoat on eBay for 6.50 haha don't know how much I'll wear it but it's described as good condition so gives me a bit of variety on the cheap.

Still will be buying a new jacket for more regular wear tho.
    Last edited by marl122; 07-02-2014 at 01:09 AM.

+ Reply to Thread