FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Wardrobe Junk

I was going out last weekend. I needed a nice slim fitted white shirt for under my blazer , when I realise I don't infact have one. I have one which has now become too small, one that is too large and several that fit right but are the wrong colours. I decide to switch combinations. Different blazer maybe, another pair of trousers. Low and behold same scenario with trousers haha.

Moral of story. I realise that despite my vast wardrobe, I actually only wear maybe 20% of it on a regular basis. I have so many things that are not the right sizes or that I don't actually like that much as result of my internet/sales habbits. Do you find yourselves in the same situation? and what do you do to manage this

Trend Setter
    The best way to combat this problem is to sort through your closet every so often. I do mine four times a year as we go through the seasons. My wardrobe consists of relevant pieces for easy access and then I have a 5 layer chest of drawers and only use the bottom two for underwear and socks. The other three are occupied with off seasonal pieces such as shorts during winter etc.

It's think it's also quite important to get rid of your clothes every so often too so once a year or so I go through everything I own and throw everything I no longer require in a bin bag and pass it to a charity shop.

Yeah if you buy a lot you need to do regular clearouts

It's worth putting any decent stuff / brands on eBay, helps fund the habit a little

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by jonard View Post
    I realise that despite my vast wardrobe, I actually only wear maybe 20% of it on a regular basis. I have so many things that are not the right sizes or that I don't actually like that much as result of my internet/sales habbits. Do you find yourselves in the same situation? and what do you do to manage this
    I try to avoid buying sprees, and focus on getting what I need. If I find some irresistible statement piece at the right price, I'll buy it on the spot, but other than that I make sensible purchases. This helps keep the wardrobe tidy - though I do come off as a bit of bore when saying this, I understand that.

Still, I get bored of stuff, and I do make the odd bad purchase. In these cases I try to get rid of it as soon as possible. A cluttered wardrobe makes it impossible to see what you have, and what works with what, and you end up doing your regular outfits.

I have clear outs at least twice every year, mostly to get rid of stuff that's starting to look knackered, but also to get rid of stuff I thought I'd wear more or that doesn't have a place in my style any more. Clothes that are not completely worn out I either give away to charity or friends.

Style Icon
    I have a tendency to forget what I've already got, then buy similar items all the time!

If you have poorly fitting items, my best tip is to take them to an alterations / tailor shop and get them refitted, and also change the buttons. It's usually cheaper than a new item of clothing and it's a lot nicer than throwing it away! I did this recently with an overcoat and is like a new item now.

Trend Setter
    Great advice gents!

I'm going to take whatever I feel looks good but fits poorly to tailor, eBay/charity the rest. I need to find jeans with the perfect fit and same dress shirts and buy 2/3 of each. I love the fit of topman stretch skinny, particularly in the calf area, they show off your shoes really nicely as opposed to looser cuts, their quality however is a totally different story. Same for dress shirts, just not consistent enough with fit. So List is

-Indigo/Black/Grey stretch skinnies (perhaps invest in Levis for these)
    - Cream Cable Knit Jumper
    - Basic Dress Shirts slim Fitted
    -Crew neck jumpers
    -White slim fit jeans (seen a nice pair on Asos)
    -Stone chinos

Aim is to fund some of it perhaps on eBay, I have a lot of junk to get rid of
    Many Thanks
    Jonathan

+ Reply to Thread