FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

In desperate need of help: the leather jacket

Hey all,

I've wanted a leather jacket for quite some time now. I thought I had found the perfect one from Massimo Dutti: BLACK LEATHER JACKET WITH PERFORATIONS - Leather jackets - MEN - United Kingdom . Turns out it was not as nice in store, at least in my opinion - I underestimated the shoulders among other things.

I feel like I've scoured the internet completely, and I'd love some suggestions or tips to where I should look. This will be my first leather jacket, and I want a "clean" nice-looking leather jacket, preferably not bomber and preferably black. I am 19 years old and about 180 cm tall, in case that is necessary. I generally dress more "preppy" - not tweed jackets and so on, but shirts, knitwear, loafers and chinos. I mentioned earlier that I prefer a more biker-looking jacket, as I'm not sure I like the fit of a bomber leather jacket. However, as I said I dress quite preppy, I'd love a leather jacket that is not too "statementy" for lack of a better word. I'd like to avoid the biker jacket that's straight out of the Ramones (re the jacket from Massimo Dutti - clean and nice-looking).

I'm getting a bit tired of the hunt now Still hoping though.

Thank's everyone!

Style Icon
    There are plenty of similar ones on asos - Men's leather jackets | Leather coat and biker jacket styles | ASOS

Zac

Fashionisto
    Always been a fan of all saints leathers myself, you've just missed their sale now though so could be an eBay job to find what you like for a decent price

@Creed: I've obviously looked through ASOS, but can't seem to find one I really like. How are their jackets in terms of quality?

Zac: I do like the Griffin Jacket. I'm located in Norway though, so spending 400 pounds on a jacket seems a bit risk, but I do like the Griffin jacket.

Style Icon
    I'm not too sure on the quality of their leathers to be honest, no reason to doubt them in any way.

What specifically are you looking for, is it the detail, cut or??? For example the massimo jacket you like - BLACK LEATHER JACKET WITH PERFORATIONS - Leather jackets - MEN - United Kingdom

...is almost identical to this asos one, what is it you don't like about the asos version? ASOS | ASOS Leather Biker Jacket With Perforated Panels at ASOS

Zac

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Theluda View Post
    @Creed: I've obviously looked through ASOS, but can't seem to find one I really like. How are their jackets in terms of quality?

Zac: I do like the Griffin Jacket. I'm located in Norway though, so spending 400 pounds on a jacket seems a bit risk, but I do like the Griffin jacket.
    Just searched griffin on eBay for you, there is one on there and its an extra small, I agree with you about the 400 being a bit much so i'd have a search through eBay for similar styles if I were you, you could pick up two or three for that price.
    I tried buying two in AllSaints' sale the other night but they cancelled my order, poor online service for such a big brand!

Fashionisto
    Zalando have a pretty big collection of leather jackets, definitely worth a look:

Men's Shoes & Fashion | ZALANDO UK

Trend Setter
    Not that it makes much of a difference now (as it's sold out), but I have this and the quality is great for the price. Then again this was my first leather jacket so I don't have any higher end stuff to compare it to.

Creed: It's the perforated panels thing I'm not keen on, should have been more clear. Otherwise it's pretty much what I'm looking after, although I'm on the skinnier side and probably should go for something with a slim cut. A slim version of that ASOS jacket without the perforated panels would be ideal - if that gives you a better idea of what I'm looking after.

Thank's everyone! Diving into Zalando atm.

Theluda, what size are you? On impulse I bought a Ishida biker jacket in the Allsaints sale in a Large (I'm a 40 inch chest). It's a great jacket but doesn't really fit my style. It's indigo but doesn't really look blue, more off black. It's still got tags, and was bought instore in London.
    AllSaints Biker Jacket review - Outerwear - MensJournal.com

I'd be happy to sell it if I got my money back - I think it was 259 (down from 360).

+ Reply to Thread