FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

retro/historical fashion question

was wondering if anyone knows the style of the t-shirts worn by the ramones in this picture;

it looks a little like a muscle tee but it appears to have sleeves ,are the sleeves turned up at the edges or just very short? I can't figure out what type of a t-shirt this is but I like it. probably hard to find a t-shirt in this style these days? I think their jeans are worn quite high waisted due to the t-shirts being quite small. it would be good to find something that was long but slim fitting like this.
    also were the ramones the first band to popularise the leather biker jacker and kick start the fashion?

Look like cap sleeves to me

Women's t-shirts would probably fit like this tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Condor Aasllani View Post
    Look like cap sleeves
    thanks, that helps a lot, found a couple on asos, couldn't find anything like that sleeve wise previously;

will have to keep a lookout for slim fitting tops within that style.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by white space View Post
    were the ramones the first band to popularise the leather biker jacker and kick start the fashion?

Above anybody, the person who person who made the biker jacket a global style item was Marlon Brando in "The Wild One" in the early 50's...

Elvis who was heavily influenced by Brando's style, brought the look in music culture in the late 50s.

The Ramones weren't around till the 70s and though I'm sure they would like to take credit for it, they weren't the first musicians to wear biker jackets or play punk music!

It's 60 years since Brando played Johnny Strabler on the big screen - amazing to see that the influence of the imagery & style still carries on today, though I don't think I've ever seen anyone look as good as Brando in a leather biker jacket. Except for maybe Elvis, that is.

Style Icon
    I did a bit of research & have discovered that the company who made the jacket Brando wore is still being made today by the same company - Schott, in the USA

Classic Perfecto Steerhide Leather Motorcycle Jacket 618

They also make the ones Ramones wore in the 70s...

One Star Perfecto Leather Motorcycle Jacket 613

^brilliant! thanks for sharing your knowledge. I had suspected maybe the trend had started earlier than with the ramones, but wasn't sure at the exact point where it entered social consciousness and the fashion was kick started. gonna have to check out that film! and the schott clothing line, cheers

Trend Setter
    God Bless America

+ Reply to Thread