FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

tailor advice

Havent had anything to a tailors before but taking everyone's advice and getting a few items in to get a better, sharper fit. So went around 4 tailors today to get an idea of prices.

Got quoted 45-50! to get a pair of trouser hemmed and tapered, and 50 to get the shoulders done on a blazer and another 50 to get the sides brought in a bit! This was from 2 places! Is it just me or is this pretty extortionate? or is this the going rate? like i said bit new to the tailoring..

Another place quoted me 15 for the trousers, but really looked make shift and not the kind of place you want to take expensive clothes to..

Also tried Johnsons, who quoted me 35.. for the trousers, has anyone had any experience with them?

So my question is what kinda price should i expect to pay for basic alterations at a decent tailors nowadays? And would people recommend taking some cheaper items in first to check the quality before taking in your nicer items?? Any feedback would be great.

Style Icon
    You are being ripped with some of those. I use the zip yard chain and here is their price list. I used to use a local alterations who were a bit cheaper - sometimes the independent small ones are the best.

The Zip Yard :: Clothing Alterations and Repairs

Looking at your list, without even referring to the zip yard prices it should be about 10 for hem, 15 for trouser tapering, shoulders approx 30, jacket taper 18-20. I don't think I've ever seen them more expensive and I use tailors a lot!

Nat

Style Icon
    Yeah those quotes are crazy tbh. I use an old guy who works out the back of a small menswear shop. He is good but cheap. I am picking up a jacket and jeans tomorrow. 30 quid to take the waist of the jeans in, taper the leg and shorten the hem, and to have the jacket taken in.

Try and get a recommendation from someone who knows what they're on about.

Fashionisto
    Thanks for the feedback mate, i thought it sounded a bit of a rip off! One place just got back to me and quoted 35 hem and extra 40 for tapering... Ridiculous!
    That zip yard looks amazing, exactly what im after, shame there's not one near where i live :/

Fashionisto
    I would also like to know of a good tailor in my area but wouldn't know where to start.

Anyone able to recommend someone in north east England?

+ Reply to Thread