FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Matching colours.

I'm new to all being fashionable and stuff and I have an issue with trying to match colours. How do you guys know what colours matches with which? What colour shoes should I get? I always thought brown would be the best colour but after I read that black jeans wouldn't go well with brown shoes, I'm not too sure about purchasing a brown shoe. Also I have a few more questions posted in this thread, I would be greatly appreciative if anyone could provide me some answers and guidance!

http://www.fashionbeans.com/forums/g...-wardrobe.html

Trend Setter
    You need to look at the colour wheel in these articles on FB

Common Fashion Mistakes: The One Colour | FashionBeans

http://www.fashionbeans.com/2011/com...o-much-colour/

Just wanted to add one more thing.
    I am colour blind, and to combat this. I just dress sensibly. no crazy colours unless it is the only one in line with neutrals. I think there is an article on "a pop of colour" too.

But your question is quite broad.
    Even asking should I wear Brown with Black?
    The answer to that question can vary substantially on its own.
    Last edited by James; 09-02-2014 at 05:50 PM.

Style Icon
    A brown shoe can go with black jeans if the rest of the outfit suits it. Brown brogues with black jeans (for example) can look excellent.

The colour matching article James posted is very good, that's an excellent start point. There are a whole heap of other considerations too, to name a few:

Pattern matching (using colours)
    Your skin / hair colour
    The season / weather

..all the above and more will have an overall bearing on how good an outfit looks. Most of all they have to be colours you actually like, I rarely wear orange or purple as I just don't like them much. Also, clashing colours can sometimes look good together, red and green or blue and green can work, same as navy and black. Don't follow the rules too carefully, just try an outfit and if you think it looks good, wear it.

Fashionisto
    Thanks to James and Creed for a couple of very interesting and informative responses to Martin's query.
    This type of thing helps anyone keen to learn in addition to the original poster.
    A forum at it's best I'd say.

Great stuff.

Nat

Style Icon
    Andy - I second that, and would say generally that this forum is a really positive one. The guys are sound, and the feedback is respectful and constructive. I post on a couple of other forums, and the population there is at least 50% wankers.

Trend Setter
    lol. I am more grumpy than a wanker lol

Style Icon
    I have very small colour range in my wardrobe, which probably reflects the fact that I'm a grumpy wanker.

On the plus side, I find it very easy to mix and match.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    ... that I'm a grumpy wanker.
    haha, quality

+ Reply to Thread