FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Summer country wedding attire for a student

Good day guys,

I've started my clothing metamorphosis around last years summer and since then I've been investing in a lot of (casual) classics. I am a student and I don't really have a lot of occasions that I actually have to dress up, so I only have a few pieces that I have used so far when an event called for something a little more formal (I just went on and bought something when I actually needed it):

- Fitted shirts in light blue, light pink, white and blue gingham
    - Black wool suit trousers
    - Black vintage tuxedo blazer from Dolce&Gabbana (picked this up instead of renting a tuxedo once and got it tailored)
    - A single pocket square I picked up in the last sales because I liked it so much (http://cdn.yoox.biz/46/46313677eq_21_f.jpg)
    - A black knitted tie
    - A black silk bow tie and a white/beige striped cotton bow tie

As I am pretty happy with how I look casually, even though there are a few pieces I still want to pick up, this summer wedding I am to attend to in June is the perfect opportunity to stock up on a few things I might get a lot of wear out in the future.

I have read this article on fashionbeans already (Dressing For A Summer Wedding – Part 1: As A Guest | FashionBeans) but I am still not sure what I want to go for. I don't mind spending more on something that's going to last me quite some time (my budget is not endless, of course...), but on the other hand I still want to try to incorporate something from what I already have and still look put together. What makes the decision more difficult, is the fact that the groom and bride are from the country and are not really into dressing up, which means I really don't wanna look better or fancier dressed than the groom (the invite says 'formal').

This might be a bit early, but I am hoping to pick something up in the summer sales and I wanna have a look around while the new pieces keep coming in, so I don't have to think twice about buying something but rather keep an eye out for the pieces I like.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!
    Anagni

Edit:
    - As for shoes, the only formal ones I have are tan brogues and a pair of black oxfords, that I am looking to replace however.
    Last edited by Anagni; 16-02-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Trend Setter
    Are you primarily buying for a summer wedding (with the intention of reusing what you buy for something else) or really looking for versatile pieces for the future (that wouldn't be out of place at the wedding)? Your answer might be subtly different depending on which you are after.

If you are really looking to get something suitable for the wedding, then you'll want to clarify exactly what the invite means by 'formal'. It seems likely that lounge suits would be acceptable, however, and quite possibly blazer/jacket and tie will be too.

For the future, a decent blazer/odd jacket is always a useful item to have as it can be dressed up or down and be casual or smart. A good suit is also, always, a worthwhile investment: you'll need one for job interviews, other weddings, funerals and other odd formal events.

If you are looking at a suit for the future and general occasions, I would look at getting a dark blue suit. A navy or deep blue suit is probably the most flexible suit you can own.

If you are looking at buying a suit for the summer wedding, however, I'd recommend a light/medium grey suit or similarly light coloured material. Medium grey still has plenty of flexibility and a suit that isn't too dark looks a little more summery.

Blue blazers/jackets will pair well with most things and are useful items and that would be my first choice for colour. Pair with grey flannels or light/off-white trousers and white or light blue shirt.

Whether it is a suit or a jacket, don't overlook the importance of the type and feel of the fabric. It is worthwhile getting one you really like. It is tempting to go for flat coloured worsted material but try some other - possibly more interesting - options. For a jacket/blazer that might be a soft wool flannel finish; for a suit you could get one with a strong diagonal twill or a subtle pick-and-pick/sharkskin two-tone effect.

Nat

Style Icon
    Well a classic summertime look is the navy blazer and chino combo. So how about inverting it? I wore this for a wedding last year

[IMG][/IMG]

I wore loafers without socks in the end though. The linen jacket, pocket square and no socks was enough to set me apart a bit, without distracting from the people who matter!
    Last edited by Nat; 17-02-2014 at 10:59 PM.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Are you primarily buying for a summer wedding (with the intention of reusing what you buy for something else) or really looking for versatile pieces for the future (that wouldn't be out of place at the wedding)? Your answer might be subtly different depending on which you are after.
    Sorry for not clarifying this, but it is latter. I am looking to buy pieces that are versatile, yet I can wear them in the future, too. After reading what you wrote, I was thinking about buying two suits, so I might end up getting one for summer right now ('summer' as in light tones and maybe a linen/cotton mix or some kind of tropical wool), and a dark navy suit later this year in the winter. Those will hopefully have me covered in the future and for something very formal I still have my black blazer and trouser-combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Well a classic summertime look is the navy blazer and chino combo. So how about inverting it? I wore this for a wedding last year

[IMG][/IMG]

I wore loafers without socks in the end though. The linen jacket, pocket square and no socks was enough to set me apart a bit, without distracting from the people who matter!
    This looks sick! It also looks perfectly fine for my needs. Thanks for that! Don't mind me asking, but where is the blazer from? Can you recommend any brands that it might be worth looking into for such linen blazers?

Thank you two again! Have a good day!

Nat

Style Icon
    It's from TK Maxx. Think the brand is Feraud. You'll have to wait til S/S probably. Think umiqlo had some last year.

Trend Setter
    I would ditch the black clothes for a wedding, especially as one in the summer is likely to require you to wear more season-relevant colours. That, and you will be sweating before the first speech has been made.

I am attending 3 weddings this summer (at that age where the pressure's on I'm afraid), and for the first I am an usher so my outfit is decided for me. For the other 2 however, I am wearing a combination of:

. Reiss taupe double breasted blazer (bought in sale last year. To be tailored and perhaps have the colour of the buttons changed)
    . White shirt (can't knock the classics)
    . Blue wool trousers
    . Brown monks
    . TM Lewin knitted ties in navy and red
    . Some TBC pocket squares
    . Possibly some notable socks, however, the DB blazer and monks may be enough of a statement

I've accrued the items mentioned over the course of around a year, spreading the cost. I will wear them all again at some point, again keeping the bank account happy(ish).

Here are the single items:
    [IMG][/IMG]

+ Reply to Thread