FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Style Icon

Do Jeans and Shoes go? Rules?

Hi Guys

This is something I have been contemplating recently with the bad weather in London and all.
    The new FB article along with some others I have seen seem to accept jeans and shoes.

Now I feel I can only get away with a very casual suede monk, i dislike the jean and brogue look, i feel it got over done (not that monks arent). But you get the idea, thats my opinion.

What do you find acceptable and what is an instant no, what are your rules, and do you have an image you can use as an example?
    (i will try to post some examples too, to see your reactions)

thanks
    J

(btw the James commenting in the article is not me, wish I picked a different name)

Formal shoes no

Casual shoes yes

Jeans must fit very slim / skinny at the ankle imo

It can be hard to avoid the cringey cliches; I would avoid typical indigo denim / tan leather combos

Style Icon
    I agree.

Here is a photo of one I have been contemplating. I feel they're too formal, but I want other opinions.
    Chances are, I wont wear them with jeans due to the fact i would feel uncomfortable doing so.

But still, your opinion is appreciated.
    Thanks

Last edited by James; 19-02-2014 at 08:33 PM.

Style Icon
    I don't wear any work shoes with jeans either, it's pretty much brogues and monks for me.

I think those monks and jeans look ok - but I can picture the shoes perhaps looking better with another colour, can't picture what though?! Grey or white would look good.

Style Icon
    I get where youre coming from. This is right on the border imo. Maybe with a white jean, I would get away with it.

I feel where these shoes seem more formal is, they have a slim sole, a shiny finish and a slightly longer unrounded point to the tip.

They are formal shoes, and I love them. But they are difficult to mix into my casual attire, which I feel is a shame.

Style Icon
    Possibly a bright coloured or patterned sock would make things a bit more casual, or even if it was a dark red / burgundy to break it up a bit. If the jeans were longer a roll up might again soften it a bit.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    Possibly a bright coloured or patterned sock would make things a bit more casual, or even if it was a dark red / burgundy to break it up a bit. If the jeans were longer a roll up might again soften it a bit.
    That doesnt seem to work, but thanks for the idea. I can see where you are coming from.

I think best in these circumstances, if going casual, wear a chino instead.

edit* and all my trousers/jeans get hemmed, so will fit near enough same as that.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

This looks good to me, but it depends on the rest of the fit imo

Crisp white shirt and tweed blazer comes to mind

Or a dark roll neck with a leather biker / bomber

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Condor Aasllani View Post
    This looks good to me, but it depends on the rest of the fit imo

Crisp white shirt and tweed blazer comes to mind

Or a dark roll neck with a leather biker / bomber

not sure this will work, the bottom half will be too formal compared to the top half. I always aim for business on top, casual on bottom if going for this look.
    I fear I would look like I had no other shoes. (that would be terrible )

something like this ivan?
    My fear is jeans would make this look different. But I have worn this outfit with my black oxfords.

Last edited by James; 19-02-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Style Icon
    Indigo jeans often look very smart, and yours do, especially due to the slim cut. I agree with Ivan that they really could work if the top half was very smart too, blazer, shirt and pocket square, or blazer and roll neck. I can see a brown blazer working well due to the shoe colour, navy might be too much.

I understand where you are coming from though, sometimes you can just put on a combo in and think 'nah'. Happened to me today!

+ Reply to Thread