FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Looking for some feedback on these new purchases.

Hi everyone, I'm looking for feedback. I am still relatively clueless about fashion, but I hope that, with your feedback, I can dress a little better than my normal T-shirt/jeans/sneakers style.

What I'm looking for: For most of the shirts/pants below, I am looking for things that I can wear both tucked and untucked. Clothes that I can wear out and about anywhere, from bars/clubs to house-parties to the library and coffee-shop to grocery shopping, and be a little better dressed (without being overdressed) than the next guy. In a word, I am looking for versatility.

These pictures are of the clothes hanging, not of me wearing the clothes, since I haven't taken them to the tailor yet. Even the shirts need their waists brought up (see below). I'm waiting on the forum's feedback before I get them altered, in case I want to return some of them first. For the sake of argument, assume everything fits well.

My body-type (not sure if this is relevant, since these pictures are not of me wearing the clothes): I am a short guy (5'6") and pretty broad-shouldered/athletic. I seem to have a short torso, haha a lot of the shirts' waists need to be brought up if I'm going to wear them untucked.

**Question 1:** Or...at least that's what the salespeople told me. They said the shirts were meant to be worn tucked or untucked, and yet most of them hang down below my butt on the back and almost to where the the legs of the pants separate on the front. This is too long, correct? Because of my body type, will I always need to get shirts like this tailored to fit correctly?

I went to Dillard's the other day, and, with the advice of a few salespeople, tried to apply what I've learned here. I spent way too much money and time, but it's worth it to me if I did well/can be done shopping for a while. Am I on the right track?

I numbered my questions below for the convenience of those of you giving feedback, but feel free to ignore the numbering/give general feedback if that's easier!

***Shoes:***

Black: (imgur: the simple image sharer)

Brown: (imgur: the simple image sharer)

**Question 2)** I put the shoes first since I'm most dubious about them. The salesman was a little pushy and didn't give much explanation as to why which the shoes were good, and I was exhausted and short on time from all the other shopping below, and hadn't done as much research on shoes, so I caved, knowing I could return them. From what I've read since I should probably return the black ones...should I? What about the brown ones? Assuming I return the black pair, are the browns good shoes to match everything below or do I need to get another black pair as well?

**Question 3)** What kind of socks should I wear with them? The pushy (the more I think about it, sort of a jerk) salesman pushed brightly/multi colored socks onto me and told me that was the way to wear these kind of shoes, a statement I doubted very much but wasn't in a position of argue. Was he screwing with me or do people really wear brightly colored socks with this kind of outfit?

***Belt:***

Brown side: (imgur: the simple image sharer)

Black side: (imgur: the simple image sharer)

**Question 4)** Same pushy guy as for the shoes. Is the style of belt acceptable or should I go for something more traditional? It is reversible, each side is shown in the pictures above: brown side with the brown shoes and black side with the black shoes. Do the browns match closely enough?

***Jeans:***

Perry Ellis: (imgur: the simple image sharer)

Marc Ecko: (imgur: the simple image sharer)

**Question 5)** How'd I do with the jeans? Should I keep both pairs? Which shoes (above) can I wear them with? Which shirts (below) can I wear them with?

***Khakis? (Chinos?) Both Cremieux:***

(imgur: the simple image sharer)

**Question 6)** I was looking for chino's since they are so often recommended on here. The salesmen said these were basically the same thing in every way that mattered. Did they lie to me? Are these worth keeping? Which shoes (above) can I wear them with? Which shirts (below) can I wear them with?

***Shirts:***

Two Murano: (imgur: the simple image sharer)

More Murano: (imgur: the simple image sharer)

Cremieux: (imgur: the simple image sharer)

**Question 7)** Are the shirts appropriate for what I'm looking for? Are they worth the money I spent? How do I best match them up with the pants/shoes above?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Trend Setter
    Ok first thing's first, FIT is the most important thing when it comes to clothing. I'm about the same height as you, not sure about your body frame (stocky vs thin), but I'm fairly certain that all of these items are going to be too big on you. The jeans and chinos look like they're going to be way too wide for your legs, with pools of material at the bottom. The shirts are probably not slim fits and as such they will probably be too big for you as well. Never buy shirts that are too long for you... the tailoring expense is not worth it when you can buy shirts that are the appropriate length in the first place!

Now you could go through the expense of tailoring all of those items. But a cheaper alternative would be to return all of that stuff and buy items in slim fits to begin with. Then you can just get a simple (and cheap!) hem done to correct the length on the pants, etc.

Men’s Fashion Basics – Part 1 – Good Fit | FashionBeans
    The Essential Jeans Guide | FashionBeans
    Men’s Footwear Guide: The Brogue | FashionBeans

Now we can talk about the shoes. The black ones are the dreaded square toe, a style that is not looked upon particularly highly around here. If an Oxford is what you want, you should be looking for a cap toe. See the sections on Derbies and Oxfords here: Guide To Men’s Shoes – Part Two | FashionBeans If your intention is to wear them casually, I'd recommend a suede shoe or at least a matte finish.

As for the brown shoes, I'm not a huge fan of them, but I'm sure you'll hear different opinions on that here. Not sure about all of that white stitching. I do think a pair of brown brogues is an excellent investment, and that there are better options: Men’s Footwear Guide: The Brogue | FashionBeans

I hope this helps. There's a lot of expertise on these boards so I'm sure you'll hear a ton of great info! Kudos to you for wanting to improve the way you present yourself to the world.

Style Icon
    I'm not going to lie, and I'm being 100% sincere with your wallet in mind- take the lot back. Possibly with the exception of the beige chinos and brown shoes. Maybe too the checked cremieux shirt.

I doubt the sales guys were trying to con you as such, after all they run a business and you have to assume that they buy stock that they actually believe look good (I'm imagining this as an independent store but I suppose it could be a large chain too). But I often see independent clothes shops with the most terrible clothes and wonder if they actually have a clue what they are doing.

It looks like you spent a lot of money here, if you personally like some pieces then you should discount any advice and keep them, but if you are asking whether any of these are stylish or fashionable, I can tell you with certainty that in the UK at least, these types of short sleeved shirts, square toed shoes, carbon look belt buckle, large diamond checked shirts are all the sort of things seen for sale in dodgy independent town centre mens fashion shops - 10 years ago.

I hope I haven't offended, but really, these are not current style or fashion at all.

You're clearly in the US / Canada, so fashion is quite different over there (outside of major cities, anyway).

We need to know more about you. How old are you? Where do you live? What do you do? All of this is relevant.

As for the clothes you have posted, by our standards they are all very bad. Definitely take them back.

If I were you, I would buy a select few pieces rather than splurging on a whole new wardrobe. Check out the "Capsule Wardrobe" article on this site.

To be very simple about it, here's your shopping list:

1 x Coat / Jacket. (Could be a blazer, bomber, peacoat, trench etc)

1 x Wool jumper (navy or grey, make sure it is 100% wool)

3 x Oxford Cloth button down shirts (go for white or light blue)

3 x Plain t-shirts (go for white or light grey)

1 x Slim indigo jeans (splash out on these - look for selvedge denim and learn how to care for it properly)

1 x Quality brown brogues (google image search "Loake" - you want to go for that aesthetic)

This is a starting point for a whole new style and you can build on it from there. Make sure everything fits you well. Try on the size down and the size up when you are shopping to be sure you are getting the right fit. All of this is completely pointless if clothes don't fit properly.

I'd say something like this is a good thing to aim for on your first fashion foray:

You should look at the lookbooks & street style on here, get an idea of something you like, and try to replicate it. To put that in perspective, do you see anyone on this site wearing clothes like the ones you were forcibly sold? I'm assuming you like the general style on here, so let that guide you, not some pushy salespeople.

Find a store that will help you and consult on what you want - there are enough of them out there! Do you have a Reiss store anywhere near to you? They are always really helpful and have the classic type of clothes you should be going for at reasonably affordable prices. Or if you can only shop online, you can buy multiple sizes and send back the ones you don't need. The good thing with Reiss is that it will all mostly go together, is excellent quality and there is usually a sale section on the website.

Sorry 4 the long post, hope it helps in some way.

Fashionisto
    I would agree with what has been said.

I actually don't mind the brown shoes, although I wouldn't wear them casually. I would take everything else back to the shop.

Just keep it simple, buy the basics, slim jeans/chinos, plain white/navy/burgundy t-shirts/shirts, checked shirts. I would also recommend dessert boots.

Find a look you like on the internet and then try and replicate it.

Style Icon
    "Lookbooks" on cloth label / retailer websites are a great place to start, I often look at these when trying to figure out what colours or items go together, in addition to the guidance on the main fashionbeans site. For example, lookbooks on:

Asos
    Topman
    Reiss
    Suit supply

.....there are hundreds more.

I wholeheartedly agree with the above, stick to classics and concentrate on fit, this is totally vital. Rather than going mad and buying up an entire wardrobe, sometimes it's easier to find a single outfit you like, and go on a mission to buy just that outfit, that way you are more focused and less prone to buying items that won't work with other clothes you have. It doesn't have to be expensive either, I can easily but a top to tail outfit for under 150.

Style Icon
    I have to be honest here and say I have not read what seems to be a very lengthy thread.

But I have opened the images, and have to agree. Its not good. Not from my perspective anyway.

These guys have all spoken about lookbooks etc.

I will let you in on my secret. I create my own lookbooks using Pinterest, its nothing amazing, but I pin stuff I find interesting when I have the time.
    Feel free to have a look.
    Mens Fashion & Style

James

Thanks tons for the feedback! I'm going to return almost everything, if not everything, and start over, aiming to go in a lot more focused on what I want, to get a lot less, and to ignore salesmen completely this time around. I'll start a new thread to check my results when that is done. Thank you again very very much!

P.S. Since it was asked, I'm a 24 y.o. in Oklahoma City, OK. Profession is irrelevant, I have a uniform for work

Quote Originally Posted by StyleNewbie View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm looking for feedback. I am still relatively clueless about fashion, but I hope that, with your feedback, I can dress a little better than my normal T-shirt/jeans/sneakers style.

What I'm looking for: For most of the shirts/pants below, I am looking for things that I can wear both tucked and untucked. Clothes that I can wear out and about anywhere, from bars/clubs to house-parties to the library and coffee-shop to grocery shopping, and be a little better dressed (without being overdressed) than the next guy. In a word, I am looking for versatility.

These pictures are of the clothes hanging, not of me wearing the clothes, since I haven't taken them to the tailor yet. Even the shirts need their waists brought up (see below). I'm waiting on the forum's feedback before I get them altered, in case I want to return some of them first. For the sake of argument, assume everything fits well.

My body-type (not sure if this is relevant, since these pictures are not of me wearing the clothes): I am a short guy (5'6") and pretty broad-shouldered/athletic. I seem to have a short torso, haha a lot of the shirts' waists need to be brought up if I'm going to wear them untucked.

**Question 1:** Or...at least that's what the salespeople told me. They said the shirts were meant to be worn tucked or untucked, and yet most of them hang down below my butt on the back and almost to where the the legs of the pants separate on the front. This is too long, correct? Because of my body type, will I always need to get shirts like this tailored to fit correctly?

I went to Dillard's the other day, and, with the advice of a few salespeople, tried to apply what I've learned here. I spent way too much money and time, but it's worth it to me if I did well/can be done shopping for a while. Am I on the right track?

I numbered my questions below for the convenience of those of you giving feedback, but feel free to ignore the numbering/give general feedback if that's easier!

***Shoes:***

Black: (imgur: the simple image sharer)

Brown: (imgur: the simple image sharer)

**Question 2)** I put the shoes first since I'm most dubious about them. The salesman was a little pushy and didn't give much explanation as to why which the shoes were good, and I was exhausted and short on time from all the other shopping below, and hadn't done as much research on shoes, so I caved, knowing I could return them. From what I've read since I should probably return the black ones...should I? What about the brown ones? Assuming I return the black pair, are the browns good shoes to match everything below or do I need to get another black pair as well?

**Question 3)** What kind of socks should I wear with them? The pushy (the more I think about it, sort of a jerk) salesman pushed brightly/multi colored socks onto me and told me that was the way to wear these kind of shoes, a statement I doubted very much but wasn't in a position of argue. Was he screwing with me or do people really wear brightly colored socks with this kind of outfit?

***Belt:***

Brown side: (imgur: the simple image sharer)

Black side: (imgur: the simple image sharer)

**Question 4)** Same pushy guy as for the shoes. Is the style of belt acceptable or should I go for something more traditional? It is reversible, each side is shown in the pictures above: brown side with the brown shoes and black side with the black shoes. Do the browns match closely enough?

***Jeans:***

Marc Ecko: (imgur: the simple image sharer)

**Question 5)** How'd I do with the jeans? Should I keep both pairs? Which shoes (above) can I wear them with? Which shirts (below) can I wear them with?

***Khakis? (Chinos?) Both Cremieux:***

**Question 6)** I was looking for chino's since they are so often recommended on here. The salesmen said these were basically the same thing in every way that mattered. Did they lie to me? Are these worth keeping? Which shoes (above) can I wear them with? Which shirts (below) can I wear them with?

***Shirts:***

Two Murano: (imgur: the simple image sharer)

More Murano: (imgur: the simple image sharer)

Cremieux: (imgur: the simple image sharer)

**Question 7)** Are the shirts appropriate for what I'm looking for? Are they worth the money I spent? How do I best match them up with the pants/shoes above?

Thanks in advance for your input!

+ Reply to Thread