FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last

Tailoring Prices

I need to get my navy suit tailored a bit. The sleeves need shortening (thankfully, they have two fake buttons then three real ones so should be able to shorten from the end) and I want to get the trousers taken up and tapered. Been asking around my local tailors and getting quotes in the range 100-150. This seems a bit steep to me, especially the upper end. Should I keep looking or suck it up and get the work done?

Worth pointing out I live in west London so it could just be a premium based on location.

Style Icon
    Massive rip off!

Here is who I use, and their price list. I'd even class these prices as premium! My local dry cleaners also does alterations and they are even cheaper.

The Zip Yard :: Clothing Alterations and Repairs

Try local dry cleaners.

I've just taken 2 pairs of chinos in, both are having 7 buttons swapped each, plus both taking in at the waist and they were only 22 each.

Sorry to hijack the thread with a Q for Creed, but when you say you got your chinos taken in at the waist does that make any difference to the "seat" area? Or do you need to ask for that specifically? Thanks in advance.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryLime180 View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread with a Q for Creed, but when you say you got your chinos taken in at the waist does that make any difference to the "seat" area? Or do you need to ask for that specifically? Thanks in advance.
    When she pinned it she did so around the seat (bum / hips) as these were also a little baggy, so the overall waist and hips look in line and correct. You can get them altered at the waist without affecting the seat (too much).

Thanks for the swift response Creed.

Style Icon
    Even allowing for Londonness that sounds like a rip-off. Shop around a bit more!
    Photographic exploits: http://ow.ly/su7Io

Musical proclivities: http://ow.ly/su7Ju

Assorted twitterings: http://ow.ly/su7Nb

Style Icon
    I live in NW London and normally I just take mine to a dry cleaners which most have a tailor. (outside London dont have this luxury) There are tailors all over London.
    I would suggest not taking a suit the first time, I built up confidence with mine beforehand.

I had one 'oh no' moment when I did as Creed said, got the waist size smaller, it didnt seat right, but they rectified it for free and almost instantly to a perfect fit. (I believe the woman who was there at the time felt uncomfortable pinning the area)

So although this happened, I built a trust with them and am happy to leave items in their more than capable hands.

Getting to the point, for a suit it sounds high, you either bought a badly fitting suit to begin with or youre getting ripped off.
    You shouldnt need that much work done.

Fashionisto
    Had similar problems my self in the city of sheffield where im living. Was getting quoted 40 to hem my trousers and 50 to taper them by quite a few places! Think you really do have to shop around a bit.

How have people found using there local dry cleaners in general?? Debating taking a few items into the "Johnsons" in the city centre just a bit worried about the quality of the work they will do..

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jblack View Post
    Had similar problems my self in the city of sheffield where im living. Was getting quoted 40 to hem my trousers and 50 to taper them by quite a few places! Think you really do have to shop around a bit.

How have people found using there local dry cleaners in general?? Debating taking a few items into the "Johnsons" in the city centre just a bit worried about the quality of the work they will do..
    These prices are crazy!

You'll be safe if it's with a large chain like Johnson's as they will most definitely have insurance in case they wreck an item. As for independent smaller dry cleaners, in truth I did once have a suit jacket butchered, the material was an extremely fine sharkskin weave, so any sewing holes were permanent. Anyway I needed the jacket tapered, and they took the 'short cut' by tapering down the back seam, which never works best as this can mean the top and bottom of the jacket pinch outwards with the middle button done up. When tapering a jacket, the expert way is tapering down each side. Anyway it didn't look right, I took it elsewhere to be re-done and when they undid the stitching the sewing holes in the back were all visible - irreparable.

For basics like taking up jeans, tapering casual trousers, button swaps etc you can't really go wrong, for suit jackets I now take them to somewhere more professional.

Fashionisto
    excellent thanks for the reply creed, will give johnsons a bash. Was going to go to the zip yard but will mean an hour drive there and hr back which i cant quite justify.

Sorry to hijack the thread, and sorry if this is a silly question, but is it possible to tailor raw selvedge jeans?? Got a pair of edwins the other day and just want to get them taken in a little.

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last