FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Band shirts?

Hi guys, I've been reading the site for a few months now, and I'm finally posting on the forums. Anyway, while I'm a (pretty new) fashion-buff, I'm also an avid heavy metal fan; I've written guest articles for a blog called No Clean Sing, as well as keep up with music news. This presents problems regarding how I dress. Obviously, metalheads dress differently from what's considered fashionable, and while I like the style, I'd prefer to be fashionable. This has led to me trying to figure out how to dress up some band shirts as I'd still like to show my support for bands both visually, and monetarily.

I realize that band shirts are graphic tees, and therefore have a bit of a stigma. I'm sure you guys won't like the band shirts themselves, but I was hoping you could give me some tips for "dressing up" a band shirt in a casual way. I've thought of wearing the band shirts under a black leather jacket and/or black/grey denim jacket, with chinos. And to top it off, I'll finish with a pair of chelsea boots. Below I'm including some links to band shirts I want/have for reference. What do you guys think?

Thou Road of Excess shirt | Gilead Media
    Hello Merch — Royal Bird T-shirt

Thanks for any tips! Sorry for any grammar errors, I'm doing this on my phone.

Trend Setter
    Just treat it as a normal T-shirt, but obviously have in mind you want the T-shirt to be the centre piece of of your outfit like this (It's a Coke T-shirt, but similar concept):

Also bear in mind it will always be casual you can't dress up a t-shirt, well at least not in my experience.

Style Icon
    I used to and still wear band t-shirts when casual - though a lot more when I was younger. I think they're excellent to pair with a simple grey cardigan and jeans, with the cardigan open to show off the print. Under a denim jacket also work, or under a worker jacket.

I'd advice to not go for a too "metal" looking leather jacket, as I think that's part of the stigma - the archetype easily turns into caricature.

But, as Adamski said, don't try to dress a t-shirt up. I'm not going to say it's impossible, but most (if not everyone) come off as a bit pathetic when trying to.

Fashionisto
    Make sure they fit properly for a start, a lot of my old band t shirts are sitting in a drawer because they are massive! I found an original Nirvana In Utero one the other day, and I can't believe I ever wore it, it's still like a tent on me now!

I've since invested in a few smaller/slim fit ones and they look fine.

Justin Theroux always manages to make band t shirts look cool:

Last edited by onemanarmy; 21-02-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks for the help, guys. I didn't even think about fit! Silly me.

+ Reply to Thread