FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Style Icon

Pressing a suit

Hi all,

What method (if any) do you use to press a suit? I use a trouser press pretty religiously for the bottoms, although even these don't give a perfect crease all the way up due to trouser contours, but for blazers do you make a habit of pressing these?

I know a straight forward iron sounds like the obvious answer, but I've read that if you use this you end up ruining the shape if you iron near the darts, and on a will setting my iron won't steam. I've also read no steam should be used at all, but some of the creases for example at the elbow and upper back can be stubborn. Dry cleaners is an option but Johnson's charge 7.30 for pressing and they probably just use a stem iron too.

So do you press yours, leave them or just wait until they are dry cleaned?

Style Icon
    I have two suits - they don't get much wear. I'd say the hanging sorts out most of the creases!

Style Icon
    Mine seem to be a bit stubborn and don't really drop out easily!

In the end I found an online guide and used the damp cloth over the suit method whilst ironing, I though it would be rubbish but it worked amazingly -I pressed an amazing 'roll' into the lapels too and they all look like new again I used a lint brush first though so I didn't steam a load of dust into the fabric.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post

In the end I found an online guide and used the damp cloth over the suit method whilst ironing,
    This is what the Army do to there number 2's. The cloth is so you do not get that shine or damage the material in some way.
    I think you could also, depending on the material. Hang the item up and allow steam to pass-through in order for it to relax the creases.

+ Reply to Thread