FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Off to Morroco - what to wear?

Am off to Morroco for a week over Easter. A few days in Marrakech then the rest of the week by the coast in Essaouira. Any suggestions of what to take? I'm thinking a few lightweight linen/madras shirts, boat shoes/loafers, lightweight chinos etc. Would a linen jacket be overkill for dinner in the evenings?

Des

Style Icon
    I've literally just returned from there and pretty much did the same. Marrakech riad in the square, then Sirayane Spa Hotel for a relax, then Essaouira for the rest of the week.
    The weather, quite frankly, was ridiculous. Around 26c in the sun and -26c in the shade

The best thing I can advise is to carry a backpack or satchel everyday. Gloves, scarf, hat, jacket...
    You ever seen the new Karate Kid where Jackie Chan's shouting the "Jacket on/Jacket off" training? It's pretty much what you'll be doing for the whole time.

Trend Setter
    Came back from Marrakech last week. Agree with Des, roasting hot during the day and then cold in the shade/at night. The weather will of course be even more pronounced in the Easter break.

What you wear won't be a problem, the locals are fine with almost anything blokes do, although the missus got a few stares when wearing a sun dress. I'd recommend shorts for during the day esp if you're going to be wandering around for a while. I needed a jacket at night.

Des

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonGer View Post
    Came back from Marrakech last week. Agree with Des, roasting hot during the day and then cold in the shade/at night. The weather will of course be even more pronounced in the Easter break.

What you wear won't be a problem, the locals are fine with almost anything blokes do, although the missus got a few stares when wearing a sun dress. I'd recommend shorts for during the day esp if you're going to be wandering around for a while. I needed a jacket at night.
    I'm sure she's lovely but tbh she would have got looks if she was either wearing a summer dress or ski wear. Men outnumber the women by 1000:1

During the day I blended in a bit more than I would have liked. Leather jacket, slim jeans and some Nike Freeruns. Pretty much uniform there.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Des View Post
    I'm sure she's lovely but tbh she would have got looks if she was either wearing a summer dress or ski wear. Men outnumber the women by 1000:1

During the day I blended in a bit more than I would have liked. Leather jacket, slim jeans and some Nike Freeruns. Pretty much uniform there.
    She does look decent in skiwear...but in all seriousness, I know what you mean. We didn't see many females wandering around in what you would see on hot days here (shorts, skirts etc), but it's just a heads up that the locals are always very keen to engage you in conversation and have a little stare here and there.

There were a lot of stylish French lads when we were there, but the locals (the ones we saw around Jemaa el-Fnaa) aren't going to rival you in the style stakes if you are rocking the blazers, leather jackets etc.

Des

Style Icon
    I did see a few female tourists dressing way too provocatively. Yes its hot but.. Really? Here??

Tbf, about 30% of the JeF square was made up of plain clothed policemen protecting the economy. So yes, it won't be hard for a male in linen trousers and panama to stand out and impress.

+ Reply to Thread