FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last

Where do you get your chinos?

I have just received a pair of burgundy Next 'slim' fit chinos I won on eBay in my usual size (32R) and am disappointed to find that a) the waist size is a bit big (could be a good thing!) and b) although they do taper round the ankle they are very baggy in the thigh area - not the look I was going for!

I am basically after chinos that give the same fitted silouette as a nice pair of slim-fit jeans would - not skinny but comfortably snug.

Anyone any experience of the ASOS slims?

Trend Setter
    Very much depends on the size and shape of your legs. As someone who has massive calves and can't get into many brands I find Hackett and Reiss ones to be the best fits. Reiss in particular fit me like a glove and are amazing quality for the money. On the other hand if you have smaller legs I think All Saints are pretty good quality and cut if you're on more of a budget.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend83 View Post

I have just ordered a pair of ASOS slim and ASOS Skinny Burgundy chinos as well as a pair of their twill slim chino, all in a 32r.

The plan is to keep just one pair - ill report back on the quality and fit tomorrow..

Quote Originally Posted by ukalec View Post
    I have just ordered a pair of ASOS slim and ASOS Skinny Burgundy chinos as well as a pair of their twill slim chino, all in a 32r.

The plan is to keep just one pair - ill report back on the quality and fit tomorrow..
    Thanks mate, that would be great. I was looking at the burgundy ones too - 20% off so only 18. Worth a purchase if they fit ok I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbe84 View Post
    Very much depends on the size and shape of your legs. As someone who has massive calves and can't get into many brands I find Hackett and Reiss ones to be the best fits. Reiss in particular fit me like a glove and are amazing quality for the money. On the other hand if you have smaller legs I think All Saints are pretty good quality and cut if you're on more of a budget.
    I've had almost the opposite experience with the Reiss ones. They snag on my calves and just don't hang at all

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend83 View Post
    I have a pair of slim ASOS chinos, and I quite like the fit on them. I'm wearing them here:

Fashionisto
    Can also vouch for the asos slim chinos, there skinny fit is also very good if your legs are on the slimmer side, price is very reasonable aswell.

If you have a slightly higher budget maybe have a look at the 'allsaints' slim range, or maybe 'dockers'. As many on this forum have said before tho i would find a chino that fits well in the waist and seat, and is a colour you like and good quality material then simply allow a tailor to do the rest. Spent the last year trying to find good fitting chinos, and sent the vast vast majority back, coming to the realization, finding a good fit off the rack is very unlike and its much easier to just pay the 20-30 pounds and let the tailor get the fit i want.... Especially true if your a little OCD about the fit of your trousers like me.

Fashionisto
    I've got two pairs of Uniqlo straight-leg chinos and they're terrific, at any price.

Not sure how hard-wearing they're going to be, but I'm tall and athletic(ish) 6'1" 13.5 stones and they're more than long enough (can break on a shoe or you can turn them up a couple of times to show off a boot).

Des

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Yattix View Post
    I've got two pairs of Uniqlo straight-leg chinos and they're terrific, at any price.

Not sure how hard-wearing they're going to be, but I'm tall and athletic(ish) 6'1" 13.5 stones and they're more than long enough (can break on a shoe or you can turn them up a couple of times to show off a boot).
    +1 on the Uniqlos.
    Their straight cut makes them far easier to hem because theres no obvious taper to be ruined, which could give a nasty carrot shape. Free alterations too.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by bowball View Post
    I've had almost the opposite experience with the Reiss ones. They snag on my calves and just don't hang at all
    Must admit I haven't worn mine loads. Used them again today and felt smooth and perfect again. Think it comes down to build/leg shape. Mine fit like slim or even skinny when they're regular cos I'm a cyclist & do loads of weights. Can't find chinos anywhere else that fit so perfectly without going to my tailor. People of other builds might not like the cut so much. Find trousers the hardest thing to buy cos that reason.

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last