FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Clothes That Create A Slimmer Appearance on A Larger Guy

Alright lads,

Got a question i need help with..... Im not the slimmest guy in the world (not fat either really).. im what youd say built like a brick wall... got big shoulders, 42 in chest, 36 waist with legs that any rugby player would be jealous of.... all in a 5'9 inch frame lol

my problem is getting slimmer appearing clothing whilst on a budget...
    the funniest thing by far is if i attempt to put on topman skinny jeans... and i always find the slim fit is pretty much the same.

Just wondering what suggestions/ideas people have here lol

Hey Bud, I thought this was me writing that. Same measurements but I'm taller so a bit lucky I guess.
    I tend to stay away from skinny altogether and buy a slim fit, but best thing to do is shop around and try stuff on.
    Wearing bigger clothes doesn't help at all, so never buy a few size bigger just to get into skinny jeans; looks awful!
    What type of clothes do you wear atm?

at the moment i own some slim grey trousers... that just pass as not being too tight.... iv got a couple of pairs of topman jeans and chinos but thats pretty much it... top half all i wear is shirts/ polos and crewnecks... i stay away from anything with a low neck line and anything with horizontal stripes... its just a pain really.. if i go for topman stuff i wont even both with skinny.. i try slim and occasionally the bits of tapered things they have.. main problem is thighs... getting them in anything thats got a slimmer cuff at the bottom is near impossible!! lol

Trend Setter
    I know a lot of people frown upon "carrot" fit, but they really work for me. I'm a slightly different size with a 42 chest, 34" waist, but I'm 6'3.. but still, by no means a "slim" guy.

The carrot fit / drop crotch really taper to my leg shape (big thighs, smaller shins). The drop crotch, maybe because of my size, doesn't seem to look as hideous as you would think - I'd go as far to say it isn't even noticeable - though I guess that comes down to how you wear them.

Slim fit blazers work for me - one button. Although they're slim fit, having a one-button fasten draws your waist in and broadens the shoulders slightly. I like it anyway.. Definitely try some blazers!

There is definitely scope for an FB article here, guys (imo)

FashionBeans Staff
    Hi Minno,
    I'm not the best person to give suggestions being 6'4 and frequently being asked if I 'eat enough', but I'd have to agree with Maverick - do not try to buy bigger clothes to hide any extra weight. The best way to do this is to buy clothing that is tailored to you. Alterations at a tailor can be cheap and very worthwhile or use personal shopping services like that at Topman Oxford Street.

Evan

cheers lads... ill be honest i do buy trousers and jeans a size bigger to fit more comfortable on my thighs... im going to look at some carrot fit trousers... push comes to shove it would cost much to get a tailor to remove some of the excess from the crotch if they too baggy

Quote Originally Posted by Evan John View Post
    use personal shopping services like that at Topman Oxford Street
    I live in the north east lol i think shell suits are still in fashion in some places up here!! be a long time before anything quiet like that comes up ere lol

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    never buy a few size bigger just to get into skinny jeans; looks awful!
    I have to agree with this. The most important thing I can add is to shop around. You'll find something that fits better even if described as a similar cut. I'd also agree with the drop crotch, but just go for something on the subtle side.

Being of a more athletic build I struggle with big(ish) thighs and calves, but a 31" waist. In my haste I bought some 34" waist (slight drop crotch) chinos from top man, as the 32" wouldn't get past my calves. Later I found some twisted Chinos from Burtons that have a very similar look but fit perfectly in a 32", and in comparision are much more flattering.

FashionBeans Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by minno View Post
    I live in the north east lol i think shell suits are still in fashion in some places up here!! be a long time before anything quiet like that comes up ere lol
    This is where the trusty friend comes in! Take someone (reliable!) shopping with you for that important second opinion. It's something not many of us menfolk do but there's no harm.

Evan

Sam

Style Icon
    I'd add that ideally you wanna be taking a female friend out shopping with you - much more patient and interested, usually!

+ Reply to Thread