FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

Anyone managed to pull off the denim jacket under a blazer look?

I've been inspired by this look for ages after first encountering it somewhere on street-style photos but have never tried to pull it off. I must confess my blazer collection is almost non-existent due to working in a laid-back office and living somewhere where people aren't so stylish. I've however decided to finally go for it and buy a jacket I can wear over the top of denim jackets and shirts as I love these pieces. I finally bought this denim jacket yesterday. It arrived in the post today and fits perfectly.

I assume the colour will fade over time, but at the moment it's a pretty dark shade of indigo. What coloured blazer do you think I should aim to buy if I specifically want to wear it with this or at least initially? I have a date with a girl I really like soon and thought it would be a really cool way to make a great first impression as we haven't seen each other for a few weeks now. Which colours and cuts should I target? Also which combos have FB readers used and pulled off successfully before? Most of the street-style photos you find with this combo on Google images seem to be lighter wash denim jackets with navy blazers. I was thinking of maybe trying this with a dark green blazer and white pocket square but am not sure if that would be too much?

Trend Setter
    Here are two jackets that seem like bargains that I think might work with a dark denim jacket. What do you people think?

Like always I prefer honestly over being nice

BOGLIOLI Two Button Herringbone Cotton Linen Blend Jacket - Flannels

BOGLIOLI Centre Pique Jacket - Flannels

Trend Setter
    the lighter denim under the navy (velvet) blazer.
    blue oxford shirt. and grey trousers with tan brogue boots.

Fashionisto
    Great look Mascherani. The colours complement each other quite brilliantly.

I've been repping this look a bit

Not 100% on either of the blazers u posted tbh, & white pocket square might be a bit formal unless you match it to a white shirt perhaps

Is the girl you are seeing into fashion? If not she might not get it, or think you are trying too hard.

I think it works better with a smarter blazer really, maybe a grey DB one would look quite cool?
    Last edited by Ivan Condor Aasllani; 02-03-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Trend Setter
    Nice photos people. Looking at the details your jackets are lighter or more faded than the one I picked up. Seems like the one I have may not be as suited to this look unless I went out and tried pairing it with different colours rather than the wash you usually see which you've both pulled off well. Think I may go for a blazer and white t-shirt instead as it's clean and simple to pull off. Always works and saves the risk factor ICA mentioned. The girl is stylish and very much into Italy, Spain and the fashions of both countries. Thought I'd maybe experiment, but seems I'm probably not ready for it. A clean simple look that works due to the fit of my clothes and quality I've invested in is probably a better and safer strategy.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Condor Aasllani View Post
    I've been repping this look a bit

Not 100% on either of the blazers u posted tbh, & white pocket square might be a bit formal unless you match it to a white shirt perhaps

Is the girl you are seeing into fashion? If not she might not get it, or think you are trying too hard.

I think it works better with a smarter blazer really, maybe a grey DB one would look quite cool?
    Hi ICA I was just thinking about it and came up with the idea of maybe trying a chunky shawl collar cardigan rather than a blazer. Do you think this is easier to pull off? Thinking of grey over the dark indigo jacket paired with black jeans and brown Chelsea boots.

Trend Setter
    Was thinking possibly something chunky like this

Yeah man sounds good, post a fit pic if u like

It does depend on where you are going too

Trend Setter
    Need to buy something first then will post. Think I'll go for grey knitwear as it goes with absolutely everything. Will probably go out to a restaurant and then bars. Not so worried about date clothes tbh. Was an idea for that but have plenty that will do the job if need-be. Has become more about finding interesting ways to wear the jacket rather than over a jumper with cords/chinos/trousers. Want to wear it loads the next few months so it faded and has some character. Currently looks too new and needs breaking in big time. Can't dress the same every day so wearing it under cardigans would be a nice start. If I buy one and it goes it would definitely be a way to make an impression on dates or evenings out however.

+ Reply to Thread