FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

length of jeans

So in this article on FB last week:
    The 2014 Men’s Jeans Guide | FashionBeans

It says:
    Have them hemmed at the end of your ankles: right before it touches the top of your foot. This length works well with loafers, boots and lace-ups, showing a bit of sock or flesh on a warm day. It suits different heights and looks best on slightly tapered cuts.
    But if you look at the pictures for the minimum break look, they all look they end at the top the ankle..? Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but I'm looking to get some jeans adjusted so I can wear them for the spring to show a little flesh, and this part of the article just confused me. For anyone who gets jeans hemmed to the bottom of the ankle - feel this is enough or too little?

Nat

Style Icon
    Just take them to the tailor, along with a couple of pairs of shoes, and get him to pin them to the height you want. I personally get them hemmed to the length I like for shoes (hardly any break), then I can roll them up a bit if I want to show some boot. If you get them hemmed too high, you lose some versatility.

Style Icon
    When having jeans hemmed this short, it's pretty essential that the cuff is also tapered and slim fitting - the absolute worst look is a flappy straight leg cuff around the ankle, resulting in your leg looking like a twigs or worse still like a 7 year old boy who has outgrown his school trousers. Short jeans look terrible if the cuff fit is not spot on.

Trend Setter
    How easy is it to hem your own trousers, does anyone know? It seems like it would be pretty simple and save you a few pennies

Nat

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    When having jeans hemmed this short, it's pretty essential that the cuff is also tapered and slim fitting - the absolute worst look is a flappy straight leg cuff around the ankle, resulting in your leg looking like a twigs or worse still like a 7 year old boy who has outgrown his school trousers. Short jeans look terrible if the cuff fit is not spot on.
    Totally agree. I find a 6 3/4 inch leg opening works for me (not too skinny, just nicely tapered), but there's no substitute for getting it pinned and seeing it for yourself.

Nat

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
    How easy is it to hem your own trousers, does anyone know? It seems like it would be pretty simple and save you a few pennies
    Depends if you know how to sew! You will still need someone else to pin them.

Trend Setter
    well i remember the basics that i was made to cover in home economics, so as long as it's not too complex haha

+ Reply to Thread