FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last

Style Icon

Items of Clothing you really don't like..

.. In general - there doesn't even have to be a logical reason behind it, but I'm sure that everyone has clothing items that they just cannot stand. So what are yours?

For me, the first ones that spring to mind are fleeces, beige chinos and tan desert boots. I can't stand the sight of any of those and would probably be physically ill if I saw the three of them combined... fleeces, for obvious reasons, beige chinos for no good reason other than I hate them and desert boots are an odd one... it's the soles of them that I don't like... chukkas fine, but desert boots with their crinkly soles and in particular the pale beige crinkly soles that you get on tan suede ones, just really get under my skin. Can't explain why.

I also hate jumpers worn over the shoulders like capes, anything with a Tommy Hilfiger label and red and white striped shirts.

Trend Setter
    Scoop and v-neck t-shirts, any sort of loungewear worn outside of the house, men's necklaces of any kind, red/burgundy chinos (so bored of these now), anything leopard print, grey jeans. They are the obvious ones that spring to mind, I'm sure there are some more that I just can't think of.

Oh one other thing I dislike is overtly showy or flashy clothing, basically anything with that hideous Louis Vuitton LV logo all over it (so that would be most of their luggage, wallets, bags etc).

FashionBeans Staff
    I really dislike Air Max. I find them ugly and they are absolutely everywhere now. Also rolled trousers with white socks; I roll my jeans, but I always wear colourful socks and pointed formal shoes.

Style Icon
    Quite a few!

Pointed shoes
    Square toed shoes
    Leopard print
    Skinny ties
    Braces
    Hollister / Abercrombie 'surf' look type stuff such as baggy jersey jogging bottoms
    Biker jackets with collar
    3/4 length sleeve tops
    Puffa jackets
    Body warmers

Trend Setter
    any trousers baggier than slim fit,
    t-shirts with the sleeves sold rolled up and sewn that way,
    any fad that topman is pushing,
    fake pockets on clothing,
    supposedly humorous t-shirts,
    trousers with cuffs,
    overly shiny suits,
    those shirts with two collars,
    anything with strange colour stitching,
    mustard,
    body warmers,
    that earthy beige colour chino all the chavs wear with maroon polo shirts and white hi-tops

Style Icon
    Fake leather.
    Polyester.
    Huge logos.
    Unnecessarily distressed & embellished jeans.
    Crap shoes in all their forms (square toes, weird shoe/trainer hybrids), especially if they let down an otherwise solid outfit.
    There's not much that I can't stand at all, a lot of stuff I wouldn't wear myself but can appreciate it when others wear it well.
    Photographic exploits: http://ow.ly/su7Io

Musical proclivities: http://ow.ly/su7Ju

Assorted twitterings: http://ow.ly/su7Nb

Des

Style Icon
    I thought my list would be huge but 90% of the items that have been mentioned can actually look good (apart from humorous tees). It's just the connotations that we have with them. The only exception would be the OP's random contempt for desert boots

Fashionisto
    Drop crotch chinos / jeans for me really do not like the sight of them at all

yeah, I'm guilty for wearing tracksuit bottoms outside of sporting and lounging, but some days I really can not be arsed especially if I'm just going to school and there are no girls I'm vaguely trying to impress in my lessons that day.
    Last edited by overtoad; 14-03-2014 at 02:42 AM.

Fashionisto
    I know I'll be in a minority here but I really cannot stand button down collars - I think they look awful.

Agree with a lot of the others too.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    .. In general - there doesn't even have to be a logical reason behind it, but I'm sure that everyone has clothing items that they just cannot stand. So what are yours?
    Where do I start?
    • Anything specifically sporty, worn by someone who has nothing to do with the sport. Prime culprit: Ralph Lauren Polo.
    • Skinny drop-crotch jeans; that really is the opposite of elegant dressing.
    • Contrast collar shirts.
    • While I'm having a go at city style, red braces too.
    • Cardigans ‒ too frumpy. George Lazenby's cardigan is the main reason why On Her Majesty's Secret Service doesn't quite make it to best Bond film ever.
    My girlfriend will probably claim this list is far too short - she says she doesn't like shopping with me, because almost anything she suggests I'll just dismiss with an "Urgh, no!"

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last