FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

The death of the british gent?

How Sad Young Douchebags Took Over Modern Britain | VICE United Kingdom

I didn't know where to post this as there's no non-fashion related discussion page. However I came across this article from people sharing on Facebook, and had a read. The reason I post it is because the whole idea behind the ethos of Fashionbeans (in my opinion), being about timeless classic style and nodding a head to our stylish ancestors . . . But also of influence recent threads like the "what do you do for a living?" and the "items of clothing you hate the most" got me thinking are we a collection of individuals that are a "dying" breed as this article points out. I thought it was an interesting topic for discussion and I'd like to know people's thoughts, I know it's incredibly cyclical and judgemental, but I think elements of truth are in there inside the author's bitterness.

From a personal note I almost felt lumped into this category because I actually have a workout routine, and occasionally wear scoop neck T's and I love going out and having a blast on the town with my mates chatting up girls - probably not to the extent it describes in the article. But when it spoke about no-one wants to be Sean Connery or Jude Law any more I knew it wasn't me. However I do agree, as a modern society we don't have any positive male role models in the limelight anymore, I've certainly struggled to look up to someone other than my dad (of course) who I would think yeah that's what to do, that's how you handle things etc.

Fashionisto
    That was a funny read, it had me hooked at "shit Robbie Williams tattoos"!

I actually agree with a lot of it, the whole 'gym bunny' thing is especially rife in Essex where I live. I workout myself, but at home - the thought of being surrounded by the kinds of people I see out and about makes me cringe. I mentioned in another thread about I guy I saw the other day, built like a bulldog, wearing a vest, hideous acid wash, cuffed jeans, bald head, strutting about with this inane look of satisfaction on his face........

I think the same goes for a lot of young women too, rather than trying to emulate the styles of some of the most beautiful women in the world, they pile on enough fake tan, false eye-lashes and makeup that they look like drag queens.

Trend Setter
    I read this article earlier too and my instant reaction was to think of this site and community and how there are some guys out there who thankfully don't fit the description. I think it's ironic how these 'douchebags' who you see out and about are obviously very vain yet they don't often extend this vanity to their outfit choices. I love working out too but there's no way I'd wear a vest/anything a size too small out to town so that I could show off how much time I spend in the gym.

Sadly, like onemanarmy said, the same thing applies to a lot of women now too. There are so many girls that pile on the makeup, fake tan, fake eyelashes and hair extensions and it makes them look appalling. I bet some of them are actually really pretty, you just can't tell through all the falseness. Fortunately these 'douchebags' and 'wannabe wags' tend to gravitate towards each other. Give me Emma Stone over Amy Childs any day of the week.

FashionBeans Staff
    Don't believe everything you read in VICE. The writer is perhaps the absolute diametric opposite of the people that he is writing about. Just as there is a burgeoning LAD culture, with both positive and negative members, so to is there a MASSIVE hipster culture (of which VICE is part) in which there are huge differences between the positive and negative members.

The LAD has his issues, but so to does everyone else. They're just a little more obvious.

Style Icon
    Agreed with what Will says above 100%. There is also a big irony is his article, he says that gentleman behaviour is dying out, but it's not exactly classic gentleman behaviour to go out of your way to publicly ridicule individuals, call them douchebags and look down on other people. He should just learn to live and let live.

Trend Setter
    To be honest I've never heard of Vice and don't plan on visiting their site just because content doesn't seem appealing, I just had a look and it seems to be a collection of writers that are bitching and moaning about bitching and moaning. I could probably agree with your hipster comments about that author Will, seems a likely cause of such dismissal.

That particular article aside, I do still feel that men (and women for that matter) don't have any positive role models in the limelight anymore, you know someone who's values are in the right place but they are also successful. Anyone have someone they could likely drop in here as a good example?

Style Icon
    Different people aspire to different things. The article mocks JLS, however these lads are extremely successful and have achieved more than most of us will have done in a lifetime. Supposing they went to a school or had an upbringing with a load of unsuccessful chavs (as a lot of us did), then they are good role models to these people. A wannabe young Tory politician or council member won't be a role model to a lot of young people, but will be a great role model to young people who like politics. They say Jude Law is a role model, but he had an affair and did drugs so would your girlfriend think he was a role model etc. It's all swings and roundabouts. No one is perfect.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by adamski123 View Post
    To be honest I've never heard of Vice and don't plan on visiting their site just because content doesn't seem appealing, I just had a look and it seems to be a collection of writers that are bitching and moaning about bitching and moaning. I could probably agree with your hipster comments about that author Will, seems a likely cause of such dismissal.
    Vice is an odd mix, there's plenty of hipster bullshit of varying comedic value, but also some seriously good investigative and conflict journalism, interesting columns from alternative points of view and some good arts & photography stuff. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.
    Photographic exploits: http://ow.ly/su7Io

Musical proclivities: http://ow.ly/su7Ju

Assorted twitterings: http://ow.ly/su7Nb

Style Icon
    I like VICE. Some really brilliant writers and, as Blacksheep rightly points out, occasional flashes of brilliant investigative journalism.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that the revival of the British 'gent', which Fashionbeans embodies, has its share of negative connotations as well. It's still a convenient way to classify and categorise individuals and, like all such attempts to categorise, it disguises the considerable diversity and complexity that make us all different.

I personally abhor lad culture, but then again maybe that's because I've been excluded from it my whole life. I don't drink, I'm naturally very skinny and the entertainment factor of sport has always alluded me.

That said, I appreciate that such people probably dislike the subculture that I associate myself with and consequently have their own preconceptions about what I'm going to be like.

There's a much deeper discussion to be had here about conformity and the role that popular culture has to play.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nath6644 View Post
    I like VICE. Some really brilliant writers and, as Blacksheep rightly points out, occasional flashes of brilliant investigative journalism.
    I couldn't agree more - a little known fact but the original Dennis Rodman trip to North Korea was a Vice project. This was the trip where Rodman famously met Kim Jong Un, but also less well known they also got to do karaoke and shots with the guy.

Unfortunately they seem to have pulled the 30min video on it but it was truly one of the most engaging, scary and well produced documentaries I've ever seen.

+ Reply to Thread