FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
    Joe

Traveling China and Vietnam, Capsule Wardrobe.

Hello,

So i'm a graduate engineer from Edinburgh, with a full time job starting in September (currently working part-time at a bar/restaurant), and as such I decided I would make the most of my 'free' time and go travelling. As of May I will be leaving Scotland for China, where I will spend a month in Beijing. Following this I join a group of 18-35 year olds traveling to Hong Kong. Following this is fly to Saigon, in Vietnam, and travel by bus (for a month) up through rural areas/towns to Hanoi.

SO....

As I have recently had a post graduation 'style awakening', and developed a keen interest in improving the way I dress, I'm looking to put together a versatile capsule wardrobe. From city bars and restaurant to beach wear and walking through rural villages, i'd like to feel comfortable and cool (in both uses). As the climate ranges from 20˚C, dry (Beijing) to 30˚C, humid and rainy (Saigon) this could prove challenging.

Heres what I feel is a good starting point;-

Tops; Navy Polo and Light/White Polo , 2 Neutral T's, 2 Linen Shirts and a quick dry/exercise top

Bottoms; Cotton/chino shorts, black jeans, swim shorts, khaki/light blue lightweight chinos

Shoes; Black/primary colour New Balance(s), leather sandals

Outerwear; Umbrella which I will just buy there : ), Blue Linen blazer.

Let me know what you think, if you have been travelling and have any advice. Is this too much or too little? Is this Castaway or Coming To America (strange reference)?

Joe
    Last edited by Joe; 26-03-2014 at 11:53 PM.

Des

Style Icon
    Stick with basic pieces and you'll be fine i reckon. There are some good articles on the FB website and also a little on Mr porter.
    Although I hate to say it and know it could go against everything preached here, but once you step out of your air-conditioned hotel and out on the streets you won't care too much about how you look.
    The humidity in urban areas is insane so any breathable clothing is good thinking. Even when out in bars its sad to see the guys with shirts drenched in sweat.
    Rural areas its even more about practicality and should concentrate on decent footwear more than anything. Nobody gonna care about your SoulGlo..

Trend Setter
    a good tip is to pack your bag, then unpack it, discarding half of the clothes you have packed.

In SE Asia, clothes are cheap to pick up, and laundry facilities are plentiful (even service wash is cheap).

Pack lighter than you ever imagined...

Joe

Perfect advice, thanks guys!

I've done fair bit of backpacking and will echo what Des mentioned - dress with practicality in mind.

Definitely leave the jeans and blazer behind and take as little as possible as you will be thankful of this when moving from place to place. I travel with just a packable wind/rain jacket, 2/3 shirts, jumper, sandals, one pair of shoes and two pairs of trousers (not forgetting the underwear of course!) and wash my clothes regularly in a sink. Sandals are a great choice but also leave the trainers behind as they will get trashed quickly. I have a pair of brown Timberland shoes that are hardy enough to do some hiking but won't look out of place in a half decent restaurant or bar. Just remember take something along to clean them with.

I get a lot of my travel clothes from Rohan (Outdoor & Travel Clothing - equipment & footwear | Rohan). They are expensive but the sales are good and most importantly the clothes are practical and stylish travel clothes. They wash and dry quickly, minimal creasing and are hard wearing. Aside from Rohan also check out the obvious North Face and Berghaus. Timberland are good for shoes too.

Here is what I hope is a good example of stylish travelling... me! :-P

[IMG][/IMG]

+ Reply to Thread