FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 ... Last

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    You asked for opinions so here goes...

The name isn't very original. Mars bars spring to mind as does the collaboration between AR Kane and Colourbox back in the 80s when they released the wonderful "Pump Up the Volume" under the moniker, MARRS.

The second sweatshirt looks like a design for a pair of socks.

The graphics look like they were done in Microsoft Paint.

All in all, the quality of the stuff & the designs looks like the stuff they sell in Primark.
    We are aware there is a candy with the same name as us. We are on our way up and are trying every day to get better with designs. Thanks for your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by smith71 View Post
    Unfortunately though im gonna have to disagree with you on the quality of clothes of the brands you listed. No matter how good of quality these brands are they continue to be overpriced, which we are trying to stay away from.
    tbh I think the high price is a part of the appeal of these brands.

For streetwear to have any long-term appeal it needs to have exclusivity; it's an area of fashion which is about one-upmanship and showing off, and the brands that take advantage of this are the ones that succeed. Supreme are masters of this, they produce limited numbers at fairly high price points, and they always sell out of the most desirable items on the day of release, with items being re-sold online for many times the retail price.

If I were you I'd consider this model, maybe for a few items / colourways you could do a very limited run and have a price that reflects the exclusivity. The designs would have to be something outstanding though, and it would certainly help if you can get some celebrity endorsement so maybe create some designs with that in mind to see if you come up with anything a bit more original.

Des

Style Icon
    With our budget expanding we plan to focus more on the quality of the shirts rather than branding our name. The hoodie definitely is not the best quality, but it was our first product we dropped and i feel we have come a log way.

Unfortunately though im gonna have to disagree with you on the quality of clothes of the brands you listed. No matter how good of quality these brands are they continue to be overpriced, which we are trying to stay away from.

Thanks for your opinion, next drop is 4/20 and ill be posting in this thread for you to peep.
    Hopefully with some more ounces on your sweats.
    Admittedly those brands are far fetched but as ICA said they're definitely companies you could at least aspire to. 10-15 years ago you could probably just walk in with a logo and sit back. Addict and Bench are still relatively strong. But nowadays you need to put across your affiliation and personal origin with the style and I'd suggest a bolder logo to go with it. Mid range brands like HUF and OBEY have certain origins and unmistakable branding which is what consumers (and investors) are looking for.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Condor Aasllani View Post
    tbh I think the high price is a part of the appeal of these brands.

For streetwear to have any long-term appeal it needs to have exclusivity; it's an area of fashion which is about one-upmanship and showing off, and the brands that take advantage of this are the ones that succeed. Supreme are masters of this, they produce limited numbers at fairly high price points, and they always sell out of the most desirable items on the day of release, with items being re-sold online for many times the retail price.

If I were you I'd consider this model, maybe for a few items / colourways you could do a very limited run and have a price that reflects the exclusivity. The designs would have to be something outstanding though, and it would certainly help if you can get some celebrity endorsement so maybe create some designs with that in mind to see if you come up with anything a bit more original.
    Yes you're definitely right in regards to Supreme having high priced gear, but I feel that the reason they can do this is because they already have their name for themselves and are one of the most popular streetwear brands on the market right now. Since we are not on this level, people will refuse to pay such high prices when they are aware of the costs to manufacture each product. We are currently just trying to promote our name before we make this step. We also are not about making money as much as pursuing out dream and are not trying to make profit at the moment.

Also, we sent the beautiful Selena Gomez a care package so we are hoping for the best :-)

Trend Setter
    Yes you're definitely right in regards to Supreme having high priced gear, but I feel that the reason they can do this is because they already have their name for themselves and are one of the most popular streetwear brands on the market right now. Since we are not on this level, people will refuse to pay such high prices when they are aware of the costs to manufacture each product. We are currently just trying to promote our name before we make this step. We also are not about making money as much as pursuing out dream and are not trying to make profit at the moment.

Also, we sent the beautiful Selena Gomez a care package so we are hoping for the best :-)
    The problem you have is that your initial reputation will stick with you barring a major event. If you produce cheap crap because you're new people will remember you for this. The same applies to if you charge people lots of money for something they don't know. Eventually enough will see your listings and get it in their heads that you're upmarket. I agree with ICA that your best bet is trying to produce a high quality produce rather than going for the saturated market of mediocre, mass-produced, average quality hoodies which is ridiculously competitve.

J8x

Trend Setter
    Sorry to break it to you man, and I don't want to sound harsh but I think you need a rethink over what you are trying to convey with your brand.

You've gotta think about what sets you apart from the other 1000 people aiming at the same market as you. As much as street wear has made a comeback in recent years its mainly the established brands who have survived the wave and sticking around. Go on Hypebeast or somewhere similar and you can see hundreds of people starting their own brands and I would say that a large number of them have better designs, a better ethos and generally a much more refined product. You need to either have innovative designs or some sticking point to gain a loyal following and right now I don't think you have either. By no means am I saying jack it in cause I understand you're at an early stage but you need to build a good rep and you're not going to do that with average standard products.

Onto the actual pieces, the typeface used on the logo doesn't sit right for me, don't get me wrong brands like Altamont etc. make a similar style work, but it looks a bit MS Paint for my liking. Think something with sharper lines and a bit more cohesion would work better, though I'm not sure of your motives of using a rough font. If you stick with it I think you should tweak it at the very least.

The colour palette is wrong for me too, the baby blue doesn't really fit with your Hip-hop target audience. For example the print on the bottom hoodie is ok but it would look infinitely better on a black or grey hoody. Those colours sell in high quantity for good reason, and I'm not sure if you chose blue to be different but I don't see it working.

I don't doubt that you will sell/have sold limited numbers but if you have ambitions of scaling up I think you might need to go back to the drawing board and do a bit more market research on existing brands who make it work. If you exclude the premium skate brands there's in fact quite a niche market share left for indie brands and I'm not sure yours is strong enough yet to gain a foothold.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by J8x View Post
    Sorry to break it to you man, and I don't want to sound harsh but I think you need a rethink over what you are trying to convey with your brand.

You've gotta think about what sets you apart from the other 1000 people aiming at the same market as you. As much as street wear has made a comeback in recent years its mainly the established brands who have survived the wave and sticking around. Go on Hypebeast or somewhere similar and you can see hundreds of people starting their own brands and I would say that a large number of them have better designs, a better ethos and generally a much more refined product. You need to either have innovative designs or some sticking point to gain a loyal following and right now I don't think you have either. By no means am I saying jack it in cause I understand you're at an early stage but you need to build a good rep and you're not going to do that with average standard products.

Onto the actual pieces, the typeface used on the logo doesn't sit right for me, don't get me wrong brands like Altamont etc. make a similar style work, but it looks a bit MS Paint for my liking. Think something with sharper lines and a bit more cohesion would work better, though I'm not sure of your motives of using a rough font. If you stick with it I think you should tweak it at the very least.

The colour palette is wrong for me too, the baby blue doesn't really fit with your Hip-hop target audience. For example the print on the bottom hoodie is ok but it would look infinitely better on a black or grey hoody. Those colours sell in high quantity for good reason, and I'm not sure if you chose blue to be different but I don't see it working.

I don't doubt that you will sell/have sold limited numbers but if you have ambitions of scaling up I think you might need to go back to the drawing board and do a bit more market research on existing brands who make it work. If you exclude the premium skate brands there's in fact quite a niche market share left for indie brands and I'm not sure yours is strong enough yet to gain a foothold.
    You are not sounding harsh at all, just providing positive criticism which is really what we need, so thank you for that.

We are trying our hardest to find a sticking point as to what our brand is based off of, but we still feel that we are lacking on that subject. The reason that we went with baby blue for one of our main colors is because that is the color we personally prefer, and comes off as unique. I understand that that it does not appeal to the hip-hop audience, but we are not trying to emphasize color as much as our designs, which were made in Illustrator. I understand that the designs are not the best, but we are working on it every day.

We are currently on Hypebeast and are getting absolutely no advice on how to work on our brand, which is why I found FashionBean.

We are in the process of getting our shirt done that will be dropping on April 20, which consists of less branding and more focus on unique design. I will upload pictures as soon as they are done so you all can give it a look. It may be different from the last items we dropped but I feel like it has potential.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbe84 View Post
    The problem you have is that your initial reputation will stick with you barring a major event. If you produce cheap crap because you're new people will remember you for this. The same applies to if you charge people lots of money for something they don't know. Eventually enough will see your listings and get it in their heads that you're upmarket. I agree with ICA that your best bet is trying to produce a high quality produce rather than going for the saturated market of mediocre, mass-produced, average quality hoodies which is ridiculously competitve.
    I definitely understand where you are coming from, but unfortunately we do not have the finances to start off with top of the line clothing right off the bat. The clothing we are using is the best we can find with the budget we have.

Style Icon
    What sort of budget do you have per item?

I think I'm echoing what has been said before, but for absolute certain your first impressions count, and the items need to look high quality from day 1, no brands really evolve into better quality items as they make more money, they just use the more money to create even more (quality) lines and marketing. Also if it's aimed at the hip hop market, you have to make this look way more bling.

For what it's worth I run a record label and the ethos is the same as a fashion label - you'll have a high upfront cost and will only begin to make money on repress/re-runs of certain products - this means you may, or more likely probably will need to make a loss for your first 'run' so that you have enough demand to have to produce more of the same line. As an example when I do a release, in CD format my first 1000 might cost 4.80 each all in (art design, licensing, artist costs, marketing, production, shipping) but most of the big costs are only paid once during the first run - for the second run I'm only paying production costs, so much more margin.

I have no idea of your budget or production volume, or even the sale price of your garments but I would have thought and expected that to make something quality you'd have to sell the first batch at a loss, is this sort of correct?

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    What sort of budget do you have per item?

I think I'm echoing what has been said before, but for absolute certain your first impressions count, and the items need to look high quality from day 1, no brands really evolve into better quality items as they make more money, they just use the more money to create even more (quality) lines and marketing. Also if it's aimed at the hip hop market, you have to make this look way more bling.

For what it's worth I run a record label and the ethos is the same as a fashion label - you'll have a high upfront cost and will only begin to make money on repress/re-runs of certain products - this means you may, or more likely probably will need to make a loss for your first 'run' so that you have enough demand to have to produce more of the same line. As an example when I do a release, in CD format my first 1000 might cost 4.80 each all in (art design, licensing, artist costs, marketing, production, shipping) but most of the big costs are only paid once during the first run - for the second run I'm only paying production costs, so much more margin.

I have no idea of your budget or production volume, or even the sale price of your garments but I would have thought and expected that to make something quality you'd have to sell the first batch at a loss, is this sort of correct?
    Yes you are definitely right, quality is the most important aspect from the start. My partner in this brand also recently started a record label, funny you mention that.

But that is one mistake that we made, unfortunately, is producing a variety of different shirts because we wanted to get our designs on the market as son as possible. Like I mentioned earlier, from here on out we are going to focus more on the quality. I have recently stumbled upon a manufacturer that produces the same shirts that many major companies use (Obey, Diamond, Crooks, etc.) so we are having some luck so far

+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 ... Last